World of Chima - Legoland

I've been in an awful lot of Targets and Walmarts this past week and I actually came away with a good feeling about Chima for two reasons. First, in no store (at least 25) did I see any Chima set clearanced (edit -- except for a speedorz set here or there). And second, the Chima sets are the ones that I saw the most kids gravitating toward. I even witnessed at least 3 scenes of kids begging for Chima sets. I'm definitely of the belief that Chima is starting to pick up steam. My feeling is that Chima is going to be a hot theme this Christmas.

I've been in an awful lot of Targets and Walmarts this past week and I actually came away with a good feeling about Chima for two reasons. First, in no store (at least 25) did I see any Chima set clearanced (edit -- except for a speedorz set here or there). And second, the Chima sets are the ones that I saw the most kids gravitating toward. I even witnessed at least 3 scenes of kids begging for Chima sets. I'm definitely of the belief that Chima is starting to pick up steam. My feeling is that Chima is going to be a hot theme this Christmas.

Hmm I had exactly the opposite experience - so I guess we will have to see.

I do live in a completely different part (culturally) of America so I wouldn't be surprised.

I will say I agree the minifigures are pretty sweet. And the sets aren't bad. I thought about buying the big boat one clearanced for $54

For my 1,000 post, I thought it would be appropriate to provide the BP community with a Legends of Chima post!

I have been monitoring the television ratings for Episodes 4-6 and thought I would share them.  First, Episodes 1-3 averaged about 1.5 million viewers per episode.  Here is the data for Episodes 4-6:

7/17, Episode 4 - The Joy Ride: #22 on cable, 1.01M (0.187M adults 18-49)

7/24, Episode 5 - Market Day: #15, 1.19M (0.197M adults 18-49)

7/31, Episode 6 - Attack on Eagle Spire: #20, 1.03M (.15M adults 18-49)

These are good numbers for Cartoon Network, and appear to show the burgeoning popularity of this line.  Look for the ratings to increase when kids start going back to school, roughly around 9/1, and ride that crest to a strong final episode.  There are 20 new episodes in Season 1, so if they show the episodes consecutively, the season finale would be around November 6.

Encouraging signs from the television show - we'll see if it starts to increase viewership in the next 3-4 weeks!

And now, an emoticon to celebrate 1,000 posts.  Burgers are on me...    :bbq:

• Like 3

Guest eightbrick

For my 1,000 post, I thought it would be appropriate to provide the BP community with a Legends of Chima post!

I have been monitoring the television ratings for Episodes 4-6 and thought I would share them.  First, Episodes 1-3 averaged about 1.5 million viewers per episode.  Here is the data for Episodes 4-6:

7/17, Episode 4 - The Joy Ride: #22 on cable, 1.01M (0.187M adults 18-49)

7/24, Episode 5 - Market Day: #15, 1.19M (0.197M adults 18-49)

7/31, Episode 6 - Attack on Eagle Spire: #20, 1.03M (.15M adults 18-49)

These are good numbers for Cartoon Network, and appear to show the burgeoning popularity of this line.  Look for the ratings to increase when kids start going back to school, roughly around 9/1, and ride that crest to a strong final episode.  There are 20 new episodes in Season 1, so if they show the episodes consecutively, the season finale would be around November 6.

Encouraging signs from the television show - we'll see if it starts to increase viewership in the next 3-4 weeks!

And now, an emoticon to celebrate 1,000 posts.  Burgers are on me...    :bbq:

Congrats Quacs! I was looking through emoticons to choose from, I landed on this guy.  :fan: *claps*

Interesting stuff on the TV show. I don't have CN, but I'm sure they will appear on Youtube sometime soon.

Burgers are on me...    :bbq:

Medium well with cheddar cheese please.  No pickles or ketchup.  Thanks!

Is it just me, or are other people noticing the up tick around the Chima sets in the Lego aisles?  Just today I witnessed a kid and his mom digging through the Chima polybag display trying to find the one he still needed.  You will all be happy to know they finally found it and that was one happy kid, I tell you!

Medium well with cheddar cheese please.  No pickles or ketchup.  Thanks!

Is it just me, or are other people noticing the up tick around the Chima sets in the Lego aisles?  Just today I witnessed a kid and his mom digging through the Chima polybag display trying to find the one he still needed.  You will all be happy to know they finally found it and that was one happy kid, I tell you!

Yeah, although I don't think the Chima activity has ever been that bad when I've gone to any retail outlet. I agree that there are always kids buzzing around these sets.

I just bought Skinnet (Skunk Spoeedorz) for my son today, and it's a pretty slick Speedorz. The fig is great, and the black and white Speedorz looks cool too. I like this one, although a limited production run sure would help.

Yeah, although I don't think the Chima activity has ever been that bad when I've gone to any retail outlet. I agree that there are always kids buzzing around these sets.

I just bought Skinnet (Skunk Spoeedorz) for my son today, and it's a pretty slick Speedorz. The fig is great, and the black and white Speedorz looks cool too. I like this one, although a limited production run sure would help.

Does he like the show?

Both he and my daughter (5 and 3) love it. They don't watch much TV, but Chima is on the DVR, and we watch it every Wednesday night.

I keep forgetting the new episodes are on every Wednesday now. I just got so used to the premieres airing whenever that it slips my mind. I did get to watch last weeks episode though by chance. This may sound wierd but I honestly don't need the series to sell the sets to me. I really like the builds and minifigures as is.

I'll say this much, Leonidas (the minifigure) is one of my favorites just cause of that dumb drunken face of his. :lol:

loc017.jpg

Everytime I look at him, I hear Bubba J in my mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu9unf8A00s

Jeff Dunham "How you doing Bubba J?"

Bubba J "I'm doing pretty GOOD!!!!"

I keep forgetting the new episodes are on every Wednesday now. I just got so used to the premieres airing whenever that it slips my mind. I did get to watch last weeks episode though by chance. This may sound wierd but I honestly don't need the series to sell the sets to me. I really like the builds and minifigures as is.

I'll say this much, Leonidas (the minifigure) is one of my favorites just cause of that dumb drunken face of his. :lol:

loc017.jpg

Everytime I look at him, I hear Bubba J in my mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu9unf8A00s

Jeff Dunham "How you doing Bubba J?"

Bubba J "I'm doing pretty GOOD!!!!"

If you like dumb/drunken, perhaps you would enjoy the rhino tribe, where rocks are their primary form of currency and they fight when they're happy.  As Legrevis says, "I just don't understand that tribe"...

Or, you could go post-drunken phase and go with the bear tribe, a collection of narcoleptics.

If you like dumb/drunken, perhaps you would enjoy the rhino tribe, where rocks are their primary form of currency and they fight when they're happy.  As Legrevis says, "I just don't understand that tribe"...

Or, you could go post-drunken phase and go with the bear tribe, a collection of narcoleptics.

Just as soon as Lego creates some sets with either tribe in there. :thumbsup: Perhaps something for next year? A Bear tank? A Rhino van? Who knows?....

I know LowestFormOfWit would be ecstatic with some Bears! :D "Da Bears!" :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=769A4mUY7g0

I'm aiming to end up with one of each Chima set, which may or may not get opened.  So far, I have only opened up 2 sets (Chima Battles and Ring of Fire).

Whether the theme itself does well or not doesn't matter too much to me at this stage, because the unique minifigure parts and the parts used to make up the sets will have lasting value for MOCers.

I don't know how much people look at unique parts in sets, but I reckon that might be one of the biggest pluses for Chima.

I'm aiming to end up with one of each Chima set, which may or may not get opened.  So far, I have only opened up 2 sets (Chima Battles and Ring of Fire).

Whether the theme itself does well or not doesn't matter too much to me at this stage, because the unique minifigure parts and the parts used to make up the sets will have lasting value for MOCers.

I don't know how much people look at unique parts in sets, but I reckon that might be one of the biggest pluses for Chima.

To your point, the Lion Chi Temple is a treasure trove of those gold/yellow color bricks.  I don't know of another set ever released that has had the quantity of that cool flat gold/yellow.

To your point, the Lion Chi Temple is a treasure trove of those gold/yellow color bricks.  I don't know of another set ever released that has had the quantity of that cool flat gold/yellow.

Yeah! But I think that set is a safe bet for future increase anyway, as the flagship set. :)

Yeah! But I think that set is a safe bet for future increase anyway, as the flagship set. :)

I really want Chima to do well because I like seeing how much my kids enjoy the theme.  That said, caution is warranted for investors.  The television show is a great commercial for these sets, and as long as we see some growth in the viewership toward the end of the month, Legends of Chima has a reasonable chance to have some secondary winners.

Now the downside - I see Chima occupying a market segment between the Cars/Toy Story themes and the Ninjago theme.  We all know how each of these have performed, and with Chima in the middle, it could go either way.

That said, I find the negativity toward this theme is interesting.  I see no data that says Chima has been anything less than a retail success.  Lego is expanding the theme's presence in their theme parks, the show continues to garner one million viewers per episode on Cartoon Network, and I haven't seen a widespread, wholesale discount of the theme yet.  I don't have any issue with someone stating Chima will be an investment dud - there's certainly precedent for this opinion with Cars/Toy Story themes.  I can also respect people who say they don't like the theme - that's a reasonable position since Chima is marketed toward 5-10 year olds instead of AFOLs or Lego resellers.  I just don't understand the "kids don't like Chima" opinion I hear from time to time.  No one has provided any data to prove this other than the occasional anecdote, so I can only assume this is largely based on opinion/bias.

My 5 year old loves the sets and figures, HATES the speezorz almost as much as I do--and we are 50/50 on the show. Sometimes it's really good, and sometimes...really boring and pointless.  That being said, I am long on the big sets--but short the speedorz---except the skunk one.  I have 10 command ships packed away--1 used and in the bath tub every other night--yes it floats---and is AWESOME!  I will be getting 10 lion temples when the deals happen this fall--and one to open.

My 5 year old loves the sets and figures, HATES the speezorz almost as much as I do--and we are 50/50 on the show. Sometimes it's really good, and sometimes...really boring and pointless.  That being said, I am long on the big sets--but short the speedorz---except the skunk one.  I have 10 command ships packed away--1 used and in the bath tub every other night--yes it floats---and is AWESOME!  I will be getting 10 lion temples when the deals happen this fall--and one to open.

I agree with your Chima investments.  I will be getting two CCS, LCT, and Skunk Speedorz, and maybe one Croc's Hideout if I can find it on clearance down the road.

I actually like the Speedorz, just not the ramps that accompany them.  The mini-builds are neat too, but they're so frustrating because without the ramps working properly, they're useless.

If Chima characters appear in the Lego movie next year, it may boost the popularity even more. 

Nice take - one I hadn't considered.  There's a more than outside chance they will make an appearance, and it could give this theme a boost in appeal.

I was guessing that Chima wouldn't do very well at first, but to echo some of the sentiments in this thread, a lot of the sets are really cool looking.  That Lion Chi Temple looks great, and could easily fit into a more generic fantasy setting, mixed with Castle, for example.  And the animal themed vehicles, especially the larger ones, are pretty amazing.

The gorilla mech reminds me of a Warhammer 40K Dreadnought, which I've always loved as well:  http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Gorzan-s-Gorilla-Striker-70008?fromListing=listing

I was guessing that Chima wouldn't do very well at first, but to echo some of the sentiments in this thread, a lot of the sets are really cool looking.  That Lion Chi Temple looks great, and could easily fit into a more generic fantasy setting, mixed with Castle, for example.  And the animal themed vehicles, especially the larger ones, are pretty amazing.

The gorilla mech reminds me of a Warhammer 40K Dreadnought, which I've always loved as well:  http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Gorzan-s-Gorilla-Striker-70008?fromListing=listing

I'm glad you brought up the Gorilla Striker - I will be buying a couple of these for investment, and one for the personal collection (the only Chima set that will be going in there).  These are so damn cool that I think there will be demand for this after retirement.  I am waiting for some sort of discount, though.

Well, I did manage to watch a repeat of last nights episode. Oh boy, lego finally went and did it. They did a fart joke episode with Skinnet breaking wind a few times. Here's the wierd part; when the 'bad moon' was out, his stank literally created flowers and other vegetation across the landscape, and the wolves got frickin' high as a kite on it! What the?! :stinker:

Well, I did manage to watch a repeat of last nights episode. Oh boy, lego finally went and did it. They did a fart joke episode with Skinnet breaking wind a few times. Here's the wierd part; when the 'bad moon' was out, his stank literally created flowers and other vegetation across the landscape, and the wolves got frickin' high as a kite on it! What the?! :stinker:

Definitely not my favorite episode - the fart line was pretty lame...I did like getting the Gorillas involved though.  Such an underrated and underutilized tribe so far.

Last week's episode (Attack on Eagle Spire) was really good.  Probably the best of all the released episodes.  Drama (the battle), comedy (the Ravens), action (the fight scenes) - it had it all.  That's the kind of Chima episodes that will sell the crap out of the line...

I did like getting the Gorillas involved though.  Such an underrated and underutilized tribe so far.

And they talk like such hippies. "Dude!" :lol:

Last week's episode (Attack on Eagle Spire) was really good.  Probably the best of all the released episodes.  Drama (the battle), comedy (the Ravens), action (the fight scenes) - it had it all.  That's the kind of Chima episodes that will sell the crap out of the line...

I did get to watch a rerun of that one. It was way better than the 'farter parter'. You know, I'm wondering how much of an impact could the 'stinker' episode have on Skinnet's Speedorz set? I can see kids running around making 'that noise' using their mouth with the skunk minifigure annoying parents everywhere!