SITE & FORUM MAINTENANCE

In case you haven't noticed, the forum has been down and the homepage is modified.  Jeff is doing some modifications that require the forum to be closed to members.  It will be an on and off type of situation over the next several days as Jeff is improving some features.  I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but you will understand more in the upcoming weeks when you see how the new forum interacts with the rest of the site.  Some really cool features coming soon.  Thanks.  Ed

• Like 1

hi ed and jeff,  will this 'fix' the item around needing to regularly logout and login to view the forums (for each visit)?  not sure if you refer to it as SSO (single sign on)

Yes, this is one of the issues that Jeff is working on.

Here is a quick rundown of what has been happening over the past few days..   One, I took a small break with my wife.  It was a necessary evil, and honestly felt great, but just bad timing.  On the flip side, nothing positive came out of the time away and letting others see if they could figure things out.  The problem we had was like jaisonline said, the single sign on was just not working.  I was trying hard to keep the site working as it was before.  I hate change, but sometimes its necessary.  I talked to Ed, told him some options, and I think based on our discussion we will have a much better site that one of us will outline later as we give updates on Brickpoints, Brick Classifieds and other things.  

We have decided to scrap the entire CMS/Forum setup we had before.  Totally taking it out of the picture.  This is the only way I can give you a great login again, that will work the way its supposed to.  This will also give the foundation of setup that will allow interactivity on many fronts.  The down side is, you will see one ugly looking homepage and some missing content fora  few days while I redesign its all for this platform.  Everything will still be there, comments, dates, etc.  I just need to  design the homepage again, and make it look like something.

The forum will be great, and right now I am just doing testing on the login from here, to the price guide/brickfolio.    

The forum should be live in a little bit today, sorry that its down honestly.  I guess some of you are coming in from the mobile setup which I guess does not really pay attention to the rules of the main site.  I will have to look into that.

Anyhow, that is a quick update.  Its all coming back and honestly will be better than before.

PS, not to mention, last night whenI was working on updates.  The update corrupted files, and I couldn't restore from backup, so I had to reinstall the whole community thing again, and get it back to where it was, so it was a good wasted 20 hours :)

Thanks for for working hard on improving the sites. If I may offer one small suggestion, during maintenance, could you point the links to the discussion forum to an "under construction" page? This accomplish 2 things: the site looks more professional to new visitors and provides quick information point for the regulars. Based on what happened during last forum updates I surmised you were doing maintenance, but any new visitors would just think the site was broken.

Thanks for for working hard on improving the sites. If I may offer one small suggestion, during maintenance, could you point the links to the discussion forum to an "under construction" page? This accomplish 2 things: the site looks more professional to new visitors and provides quick information point for the regulars. Based on what happened during last forum updates I surmised you were doing maintenance, but any new visitors would just think the site was broken.

Sometimes what you think will take 10 minutes, takes 10 hours.  Jeff is usually pretty good at giving heads up.  Things will be bumpy over the next week or so, but the end result will tie it all together and we think people will really like the result.  

Just wanted you guys to know, especially Jeff, that even though I had no access at all to the forums since last night, when I reset my password (seeing that some people were posting and thinking it was only my account) I was able to enter once again. Once I was able to read this thread I understood what was going on.

Thanks for the hard work, once again. Looking forward to the new changes and upgrades. Glad to see that you are always striving for excellence!

Ok things a somewhat live now.  Its a super junky homepage.  I will get to that soon enough.  At least you shoudl be able to login.  I need to do some updated queries on the reviews and brickfolio to point to the new member accounts, so I would stay out of that stuff for a bit until I give an update.

• Like 1

sorry for the down arrow Ed ... my finger slipped ... this ipad is wierd at times ...

Well, I just helped 'neutrilize' your 'downer' with my 'upper'. :)

If anyone that cannot login yet somehow able to read this, click on the "Forgot your password?" at the login screen, follow through the steps, and wait a while for an email awaiting your confirmation to reset your password. When it appears in your inbox, click on the link to reset your password and another email will be sent with a brand new password to use. Now use that password at the login screen and you should be able to login now. After you are finally logged in, you can go change your new password back to the old if you want.

That is what I had to do to finally login.

Oy vey....

I was wondering Why I couldn't log in... :) You guys work so hard on this site and I thank you... we all thank you from the bottom of our brick built hearts! ;) Thanks Ed and Jeff, YOU GUYS ROCK!!!

You can thank us when all the new features are up and running, but thank you for the thank you.

Guest eightbrick

I'm amazed at the dedication you guys have to the site and the amount of updates put into the site. One thing to add to your "to-do" list I don't know if you noticed this yet but clicking on a review from the review page will credit a different person (eg. I was reading a review by BlackJack and it said it was by "marco_lc" same for reviews by other people. Thanks for being such awesome people lol!

I'm amazed at the dedication you guys have to the site and the amount of updates put into the site. One thing to add to your "to-do" list I don't know if you noticed this yet but clicking on a review from the review page will credit a different person (eg. I was reading a review by BlackJack and it said it was by "marco_lc" same for reviews by other people. Thanks for being such awesome people lol!

I am working on the reviews and brickfolio sections right now.

Guest eightbrick

I am working on the reviews and brickfolio sections right now.

Great! I hope I wasn't too much of a bother.  

I kinda look at this current update as taking a step back to make a leap forward.  

Why would you ever read one of my reviews?!?  :frantics: