Does the "Collector's Guide" show the rarity of each set?

Supposedly the "Collector's Guide" which is sold out on S&**** shows the "rarity" of each set and that rating takes into account the secondary market on ebay and other sites.

This would be good info to have, maybe here in the forum or on the price guide pages.  Does anyone know about this?

I take it you mean this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=lego+collector+guide&sprefix=lego+colle%2Caps%2C206

I bought this last year. I find it very good for identifying older sets, mainly from the 70 & 80s.

Its a good guide to have but i debate the accuracy of the availability of the later sets. For example it says 10193 & 10197 were "only" available in 2009. 10193 went EOL in 2012 & good 'ole 10197 is still with us... and with us... and with us.

It does have a scarcity rating of 6 stars. 6 stars being very rare and 1 widely available. But I do not know what they are basing it on.

• Like 1

As other have said the Collector's Guide includes a rarity rating for every set listed in the book. (1)  Understand also it is a subjective rating by the authors based on the sets rarity in secondary markets. (2)

Still I give a lot of credit to the authors for even including one.  The truth of the matter is that LEGO considers set production numbers a highly confidential piece of information.  As I understand it employees must sign an NDA (non disclosure agreement) before they are allowed access to that sort of information.  Furthermore I would also be surprised if LEGO even knew all production figures themselves.  In the end you just have to take everything with a grain of salt and learn to come to your own conclusions.

1) Which is to say not all sets are listed in either edition of the Collector's Guide.
2) http://bricklink.comwww.brickset.com/news/article/?ID=147
"Keep in mind that this rating evaluates the rareness of the certain item (and not its value!) considering a complete item in very good condition including building instruction, all stickers AND box (if applicable). Markets like eBay, BrickLink and other sources have been considered for this evaluation - on a global level."

That is a good bricklink article.

Nevertheless I find this book invaluable when breaking down old bulk lots of Lego. It much better than Brickset because I can flick through it. Brickset is great when  you are online and know the themes or set numbers.

For example I found in my pile a set of doors with the word Police written on it. In the early 80's there are only 2 small sets that had these doors, 6681 & 6623. A quick check of the other pieces in the pile I determined I had 6681. On to worldbricks.com to download the instructions and 20 minutes later I had built the set. It will be listed for sale  soon :)

Using the same technique I have found 612, 611 & 602 in my pile.