So, who over here builds their Lego sets...

By following the instructions regarding the numbered bags? I know that this post shouldn't be in the General Collecting and Investing Forum but I didn't find a 'General Lego Forum' (hints at Ed) and I decided to post it over here. The last time I bought a Lego set was around 2007, and I am almost 100% certain that back then the bags weren't numbered and I had to open all the bags and look for every piece in the pile. Don't get me wrong, it was the way I first started building Lego sets and I had such a blast back then. Now due to me not putting the sets together alone as my wife helps me a lot, and thanks to the instructions and the numbered bags, it's easier to find the pieces but it has lost some of the fun. I don't know if you ever watched Friends but my wife goes a little bit Monica regarding bags and instructions: "Rules help control the fun!". I know that this makes it easier for Lego newbies or senior citizens as they don't have to spend one minute looking for a single piece. For small sets it's overkill but for 1000+ pieces sets it's a very helpful feature. On a side note, it's fun to see that I'm among the ones that live on the east shore of the Atlantic and all my posts show up as the latest entries on the forum threads on the homepage. This reminds me, I need to pay attention to my job :)

Finding pieces in a pile of Lego bricks is one of the most annoying and rewarding facets of Lego building. When I can't find something, it can get downright frustrating, yet when I find it....Taaa Daaaaaa!!!

I could agree more! So there I was, searching for the smallest of small axles for R2-D2, and the wee fella had just vanished. The girlfriend started to get a tad worried as my panic, stress and anger increased. Just before I tore the house apart and blame the cat, I looked again at the pile of pieces, and there just sticking out from a pin connector was the 'missing' axle. Instantly, euphoric building resumed.

I built 3 module recently, and I purposely open all the bags at once. Kind of annoying at first (though evne if I had follow their instruction, opening all the "1" will be a big pile already. But to me, digging for the piece is part of the fun. Part of the reason why I play puzzle a lot too.