Grand Opening at Yorkdale

Guest ph4tb0i

Pays to have a 3.5yr old...wearing a Lego Darth Vader and Storm Trooper t-shirt :)  Sales staff just kept on coming up to him and giving him polybags haha.  I didn't even ask once.  Was happy to just get 3 TC-14's with my son and wife there too but 7 is awesome.  Lots of kids/parents got them so I don't feel bad thinking some poor kids didn't get them because of me/us.  If you helped to build Yoda you got a voucher and another staff gives you a polybag and certificate of achievement - great for kids.  My son was more interested in the Lego hamburger!!  With 2 from Sat and 7 from Sun...could easily make them my pawns on a chess board perhaps.  Most likely I'll just keep them in the bags and see what happens down the road.  My son certainly deserves to open ONE I guess lol.   

Damn, it certainly does help to have family members go with you, especially kids. Next time I'll have to convince the fiancee to tag along. Alas, I only got 1 TC-14 and 1 Jor-El, both of which are on eBay now for a quick flip. I'll probably hold onto the 3 minifigure set for the time being, seeing that it is limited and numbered, but eBay will dictate its fate.

Good luck on your flips Junta.  Sometimes the early bird gets the worm.  At the mercy of buyers anytime you try to sell anything.  I'll see how prices shake out before listing my grand opening freebies.  But will keep one Lego Store set (2 available) and one Toronto 2013 minifigure set (4 available) for sure.  Just neat to have in a collection.     

Guest ph4tb0i

Yeah, good marketing because I wasn't planning to purchase more than 2 chess sets but when I saw the limited run of 400 (minfig pack) and printed individual item number I got 'suckered' to buy more haha.  Realistically can't be worth more than $20-$40 net maybe (what do I know) but it's just a cool factor being so limited.  Intend to just keep it in my collection as I started into Lego this year too.  People actually sell the Lego Store display for +$100?! Nice.  How often are there grand openings right...especially in your city/area.  Toronto has 3 stores...so perhaps one more at the most and that's it.  Wonder what city has the most Lego stores?  Wished I was at the local Sherway and Fairview opening too :)  Even less collectors/investors back than.   

If I see decent returns by March 2014 in my first yr of 'investing' I will consider the US mail box idea (thanks ph4tb0i + knorbika).  Have a small goal of $500 in net profit for my 1 year project so we'll see if that's realistic or not.  Getting there. 

If you buy from the USA you'll definitely get there. I've already acheived $500 but I've also taken in waaay more inventory than I expected.. lol. Hence my thread about stopping for a bit in the summer and just taking some time off to work on other projects. It would've been nice to get more Lego Store sets but que sera, sera.

Weakside: You should feel ashamed for pimping out your son ;) (jkz jkz)

Those great US prices would/must help out a lot.  I've been sorta lucky so far getting the few right buyers come to me and occasionally finding deals at 35%-50% off to flip.  Learning the game and flipping smaller sets ($100 or under) is good experience while my bigger sets appreciates.  Spent about $600ish and growing on Star Wars MOC for my son and I so would like to tell mommy it was mostly paid for by flipping/investing :)  So my $500 target is realistic enough to meet.       

With so many nice sets and themes it is hard to keep a small inventory.  As the saying goes...have to spend money to make money.  I guess eventually for experience investors the scale should slide to 50/50 overall profit vs inventory and if really successful you're playing with 'house money'.   

*next time I'll bring my son and all his friends in preschool for a trip to the next Lego grand opening lol.  Every kid gets a happy meal if 'daddy' gets a polybag!  2 polybags = ice cream cone.  JK.