Grand Opening at Yorkdale

Guest ph4tb0i

Guest ph4tb0i

Today is free lego store set for first 300 customers spending over 75 dollars. Tomorrow is free limited edition minifigs for first 300 spending over 50

Hey, I was there too :)  Got there around 9am for 9:30 opening...wasn't as crowded as I thought but good for us.  Purchased 2x VW Camper, got free 2x chrome TC-14, 2x Jor-El and most importantly 2x mini Lego store sets.  Nice freebies.  Checked out ebay and these items go for nice prices!!  I should of gone back the 3'rd time and got more freebies as I didn't think it was too busy.  

Might go back tomorrow for the free minifigs promo.

Overall good Lego related day for me, had to go back to Target for 5% adjustment with new red card on previous Hulk set purchase (on sale)...was a little issue but supervisor was nice enough to give me additional 10% off on top of 5% for waiting.  So Hulk set regularly retails for $64.99 I got 4x for $38.90 each - pretty good for CAN pricing :)  

Too bad knorbika...like I said the line wasn't too bad and people did go back for 'seconds'.  When I Ieft after 2'nd round there was no line up at all outside the store (to the cashier yes) and I don't think +300 people checked out, probably 200-250.  I was only hoping to get ONE Lego store set for my collection but getting TWO is awesome.  

People were surprised and happy to get the chrome TC-14...kids were ripping into the polybags and the investors tucked them away haha.  If you have a chance go tomorrow...I'm sure they have more TC-14s and you'll get a free minifigure set too for buying over $50 I believe. 

Guest ph4tb0i

lol weakside.. if you saw the last big asian dude that went in for the first round that was me.. I got there around 8am. I was so tempted to line up again to get another set of figs/stores but somehow my guilt triggered in seeing all those kids lining up for the stuff so I didn't. Ended up driving to the USA and picking up 4 Forest Police Stations at Target instead. hahaha. 

I dressed like a hobo... seriously don't get why people wear suits and bowties to Yorkdale (or any mall) nowadays

going tmw again for the minifigs!

Guest AnnexBrett

lol weakside.. if you saw the last big asian dude that went in for the first round that was me.. I got there around 8am. I was so tempted to line up again to get another set of figs/stores but somehow my guilt triggered in seeing all those kids lining up for the stuff so I didn't. Ended up driving to the USA and picking up 4 Forest Police Stations at Target instead. hahaha. 

I dressed like a hobo... seriously don't get why people wear suits and bowties to Yorkdale (or any mall) nowadays

going tmw again for the minifigs!

Is it reallt worth to go to the states for 4 forest police stations? Just asking... LOL! I have such a big pile of lego waiting to be picked up on the border that I have to look for a storage unit before I go and haul them back to Canada...I know HST!!

Guest AnnexBrett

Is it reallt worth to go to the states for 4 forest police stations? Just asking... LOL! I have such a big pile of lego waiting to be picked up on the border that I have to look for a storage unit before I go and haul them back to Canada...I know HST!!

By the way i am thinking to get a storage unit in the states and grab the stuff from there time to time! 40% cheaper than anywhere in the GTA and if i haul the stuff slowly as you guys do, maybe i can get away with the HST too...I dunno...

Guest ph4tb0i

It was the last day of BOGO 50% off, and I had them price match with amazon on both sets, so with HST included it was 50 bucks a forest police station...

Plus I was going on a road trip while my wife went to one of her friend's weddings. I would've gone had I not told the bride to go f**k herself for being a stupid b*****. It all worked out though. Ended up having fun seeing the state of NY, a fun drive with my car, 4 forest police stations, 2 fire planes, some friends polybag and a harry potter DS kit with a harry potter minifig, picked up packages on hold for me at the border, and feeling a sense of awesomeness crossing via whirlpool bridge. 

Btw, why not just plan a small 2 day trip with someone and then haul the lego back? 800 dollar limit/person (times however many people you go with) should be more than enough. 

Guest ph4tb0i

I thought about storage units from time to time but it's just not worth it for me.. considering that you never know when peak season happens and a bunch of sales happen instantaneously.... i would hate to have a sale but no product. :(

Guest AnnexBrett

It was the last day of BOGO 50% off, and I had them price match with amazon on both sets, so with HST included it was 50 bucks a forest police station...

Plus I was going on a road trip while my wife went to one of her friend's weddings. I would've gone had I not told the bride to go f**k herself for being a stupid b*****. It all worked out though. Ended up having fun seeing the state of NY, a fun drive with my car, 4 forest police stations, 2 fire planes, some friends polybag and a harry potter DS kit with a harry potter minifig, picked up packages on hold for me at the border, and feeling a sense of awesomeness crossing via whirlpool bridge. 

Btw, why not just plan a small 2 day trip with someone and then haul the lego back? 800 dollar limit/person (times however many people you go with) should be more than enough. 

Sorry I did not meant you to explain yourself... :) just heading there for 4 sets sounded so random! I just had a LOAD of target BOGO stuff delivered to my US address too! Yeah storage unit is a "waste" of money a cut to your profit, but I just literally cannot fit to my place any more...bigger apartment for $3-400 extra or storage unit for $115.

I use to do two day trip to the us with 4 of us and haul stuff...but

1-others with me shopping as well, fulfilling their limit

2-gas, food, accomodation, car rental, etc cost way more than 13% HST

I know everybody has different circumstances when shopping for lego! ;)

Guest AnnexBrett

For those thinking of coming today there is less than 20 people in line.

I went there, checked the freebies out and did not pull a trigger... I dunno, yesterday's promo were pretty cool, worth to buy something even at retail but for those minifigs only... I did not! Maybe ill regret it down the road...! Good day investors of the GTA! :)

You have strong will power knorbika.  Credit card was busy again today for me.  Probably seen both ph4tb0i and knorbika there but didn't know it...yeah, less busy today for sure.  Took the wife and kid along, 3.5yr old son was wearing one of his Lego SW t-shirts and was a magnet to get those chrome minifig freebies from the nice employees :)  He helped to build blocks for the big Yoda too so got a certificate and some pictures in, good family event/day.  Like knorbika said, does feel weird buying retail prices but I like the 3 minifigs pack because it said 'Toronto 2013' and item number from 1-400.  Each fig had 2013 Toronto printed on the back too.  My logic was later on if I do sell off my freebies from the grand opening events it would off set the regular CAN retail prices.  Here's what was in my shopping bag:

2x - Kingdom Chess Set

2x - Dynamic Duel Funhouse

4x - Free minifigures packs (#6, #25, #253 and #373, randomly given out with purchase)

7x - Free Chrome TC-14's

Spending $15ish more (adding Captain Am cycle or Catwoman/Batman set) to total $75 each purchase would have given me a free Jor El too but I was happy enough already.  Had a Horizon Express in my hand at cashier line but wife said go with the Funhouse instead so I listened lol.  

ph4tb0i, what did you end up buying? 

Guest ph4tb0i

Another VW Camper (I think i'm going to build the one I got on Saturday). :)

Catwoman Chase, Iron Man vs. Mandarin small kit, the Summer PolyBag, Arctic Batman, and Spidey Cycle (the one with Nick Fury and Venom). Most of these were for minifigs to add to my collection and not really to sell, and it killed me to buy these at Canadian retail but I figured the freebies made up for it.. :)

Went with wife and got 2 TC-14s, 2 free minifig packs (#10 and #17), 2 yoda bricks, and 2 jor els. 

Good thing you listened to your wife. :) Horizon Express is much better getting from Target USA and Amazon USA when you FINALLY get that US mailbox. hahaha. ;)

Guest ph4tb0i

I went there, checked the freebies out and did not pull a trigger... I dunno, yesterday's promo were pretty cool, worth to buy something even at retail but for those minifigs only... I did not! Maybe ill regret it down the road...! Good day investors of the GTA! :)

I was in my dark ages when the sherway store opened and I didn't get the figs. Definitely didn't want to miss the opportunity. What other set can you say will only have a limited run of 400? There's more Mr. Gold stock than this thing! :P

....I'm just posting to try to make you feel bad. haha.. imo this probably won't get much interest anyways but it's fun to collect and commemorate my first year of being a Lego investor. 

Guest AnnexBrett

You have strong will power knorbika.  Credit card was busy again today for me.  Probably seen both ph4tb0i and knorbika there but didn't know it...yeah, less busy today for sure.  Took the wife and kid along, 3.5yr old son was wearing one of his Lego SW t-shirts and was a magnet to get those chrome minifig freebies from the nice employees :)  He helped to build blocks for the big Yoda too so got a certificate and some pictures in, good family event/day.  Like knorbika said, does feel weird buying retail prices but I like the 3 minifigs pack because it said 'Toronto 2013' and item number from 1-400.  Each fig had 2013 Toronto printed on the back too.  My logic was later on if I do sell off my freebies from the grand opening events it would off set the regular CAN retail prices.  Here's what was in my shopping bag:

2x - Kingdom Chess Set

4x - Free minifigures packs (#6, #25, #253 and #373, randomly given out with purchase)

7x - Free Chrome TC-14's

Spending $15ish more (adding Captain Am cycle or Catwoman/Batman set) to total $75 each purchase would have given me a free Jor El too but I was happy enough already.  Had a Horizon Express in my hand at cashier line but wife said go with the Funhouse instead so I listened lol.  

Haha I dont think you seen me, I went there pretty late 12 ish!

The reason I did not pull the trigger is the minifigs are exclusive and its kinda too much exclusive to this particular shop (in the investment stand point)! Cool to have it if you are collecting it but IMO if you buy that much of stuff at CAN retail in order to get it you gna end up offset when you sell the freebies! Surprisingly I seen these freebies on kijiji and CL already as low as $70 (lego store set), $30 (minifigs)! :)

My other half doesnt give a damn about my LEGO addiction tho... I dunno if this good or bad...!

I am happily moving into my storage unit today however...Its gna cut into my profit margin big time but I simply ran out of space...

Yeah, good marketing because I wasn't planning to purchase more than 2 chess sets but when I saw the limited run of 400 (minfig pack) and printed individual item number I got 'suckered' to buy more haha.  Realistically can't be worth more than $20-$40 net maybe (what do I know) but it's just a cool factor being so limited.  Intend to just keep it in my collection as I started into Lego this year too.  People actually sell the Lego Store display for +$100?! Nice.  How often are there grand openings right...especially in your city/area.  Toronto has 3 stores...so perhaps one more at the most and that's it.  Wonder what city has the most Lego stores?  Wished I was at the local Sherway and Fairview opening too :)  Even less collectors/investors back than.   

If I see decent returns by March 2014 in my first yr of 'investing' I will consider the US mail box idea (thanks ph4tb0i + knorbika).  Have a small goal of $500 in net profit for my 1 year project so we'll see if that's realistic or not.  Getting there. 

I should 'rent out' space to you knorbika haha.  Or just give me a Helms Deep as payment :)  Not suprised flippers are trying to sell freebies already.  Not bad listing prices actually.  I'm sure people are trying to cash in on the chrome minifigure as well. 

Guest AnnexBrett

I should 'rent out' space to you knorbika haha.  Or just give me a Helms Deep as payment :)  Not suprised flippers are trying to sell freebies already.  Not bad listing prices actually.  I'm sure people are trying to cash in on the chrome minifigure as well. 

PM me with your offer...!! :)

yeah, we need a local Toronto investors team/group.  Make runs to the US, keep on top of whacky local deals/clearances etc.  Keep it exclusive with 3-5 members max contributing something each.  I'm the newbie and providing storage space is the best benefit I can offer lol.  I'm not on ebay or have a US postal/storage box so someone else can provide that.  Need a strict accounting/inventory/expense program, and some written contact/agreement.  Deserves more food for thought.  If it flies we'll all have to meet up for a social introduction...see if everybody will make compatiable partners lol.     

2x - Kingdom Chess Set

7x - Free Chrome TC-14's

How did you manage to scoop up 7 TC-14s?