How much does a damaged box affect value

I bought the Avengers Quinjet set and of course it came with the right corner being crushed. The box is still sealed and intact. Any idea how much this decreases the value?

If the going rate on the set is about $70, then maybe around $10-$20 to a collector...maybe nothing to the right buyer who doesn't care about box quality.

If the going rate on the set is about $70, then maybe around $10-$20 to a collector...maybe nothing to the right buyer who doesn't care about box quality.

I'm wondering the same thing for possibly different reasons ...starting to think about how on earth I am going to get my planned Lego haul home safely from USA trip. I plan to buy 2 of most things I want and I have no problem unboxing (and ziplocking) one of every set as it will be built for my city anyway, but the second set of everything is intended for re-sale ... anyone have any experience, hints or tips in traveling with boxed LEGO safely (specifically the big sets like modulars). I guess I have to be mindful of baggage limits and size with any methods I employ to protect the boxes too (it gets to a point where that becomes counter-productive). We once sent my stepson home with his Christmas LEGO without excess baggage charges as the check-in desk kindly classified it as sporting goods... but I'm not sure I am as cute as him to get away with that ;P.

I feel it all depends on the collector. How picky can you be on Ebay or BrickLink when you are purchasing a Lego set and they only have 1 pic or they use a pic from ads? Yes, as a collector I definitely want that perfect box with the nice gloss and no damages to the corner and seals look nice and tight. I am so picky with my boxes its unbelievable. I'm the guy thats at the stores inspecting all the boxes and picking the best ones. lol Oh by the way Love this website. Finally a site from a collector and investors point of view. All the tools we need to make some Mula Baby!!!!! Wish there were more articles to read. I look forward to any investment tips. The article on End Of Life (E.O.L.) and Storage Wars was really good! But all in all very informative. Keep up the good work guys!!!!

I feel it all depends on the collector. How picky can you be on Ebay or BrickLink when you are purchasing a Lego set and they only have 1 pic or they use a pic from ads? Yes, as a collector I definitely want that perfect box with the nice gloss and no damages to the corner and seals look nice and tight. I am so picky with my boxes its unbelievable. I'm the guy thats at the stores inspecting all the boxes and picking the best ones. lol Oh by the way Love this website. Finally a site from a collector and investors point of view. All the tools we need to make some Mula Baby!!!!! Wish there were more articles to read. I look forward to any investment tips. The article on End Of Life (E.O.L.) and Storage Wars was really good! But all in all very informative. Keep up the good work guys!!!!

Good points. To me, I like perfect boxes on the top notch sets. If I can get a great deal on a mid level set, I will accept a crease or crushed corner.

As for the articles, I am finishing up a large one on the STAR WARS Ultimate Collector's Series and one about a potential LEGO investment bubble. We are always looking for new content from members to post. Thanks.

Good Point on top notch set to a mid level set. I agree with that. Man can't wait for those articles. Also what do you think about this SUPER Hype with Ninjago??? I stand back at the toy isles at the store and look at all the sets and from a kid to an adult perspective...I just feel that Ninjago is here to stay and not a fad! They all look so cool compared to anything else Lego puts out. The detail and color and theme of Ninjas fighting Snake and Skeleton Villains! Makes me wanna just crack open one and build it but I limit myself to building any aets other then Star Wars due to display space! Lol Thanks Again oh and I feel Ninjago is a real good investment. Just my opinion and that cartoon definitely helps!

As usual, excellent points raised by all. Being a collector and investor, for new I want the box to be in mint or excellent condition, and I will accept good for a used set. If the set is extremely collectable, then a fair condition box is something I would consider. Ok so that sets the level pretty high, but if you think about the buying public, which auction are they going to look at first or place a bid on? The battered set or the one that looks top notch with lots of decent pictures. You wouldn't pay the full price for a new car if it had a scratch down the side would you?

I will often go down to the local toy store to see what they have on offer, and some of the sets are shabby to say the least. Lots of shelf wear, and some boxes looking like they were kicked around before going on display. Due to this, I won't buy. I'd rather locate the set through a couple of reputable dealers I use, and they'll post it to me in the original LEGO shipping box. Something that the shop down the road fails to realise is very important when it comes to selling the set on. I do note that other members have raised the issue of the quality of the LEGO box, and let's be honest, they are not what they used to be....but what is these days?

Good Point and your absolutely right about bidding auctions and picking the better box to bid on. No arguing there!!! As for pristine boxes go...I shop around and won't buy unless I get a mint condition box. The only thing you can't control is when you order something online. If it's something they stock you can definitely take it back but when it's out of stock at all stores...man it's very hard to get a nice box. Also one thing I like to do when I sell a set is wrap it in the bigger bubble wrap before I ship it out in a box! That way it definitely protects the box so iit can retain it's highest value. If all Lego shippers did this...the world would be a happier place!!!! Lol Thanks for all this valuable info guys! Keep it up!!!

Good Point on top notch set to a mid level set. I agree with that. Man can't wait for those articles. Also what do you think about this SUPER Hype with Ninjago??? I stand back at the toy isles at the store and look at all the sets and from a kid to an adult perspective...I just feel that Ninjago is here to stay and not a fad! They all look so cool compared to anything else Lego puts out. The detail and color and theme of Ninjas fighting Snake and Skeleton Villains! Makes me wanna just crack open one and build it but I limit myself to building any aets other then Star Wars due to display space! Lol Thanks Again oh and I feel Ninjago is a real good investment. Just my opinion and that cartoon definitely helps!

I like Ninjago also. I enjoy the creative vehicles and characters. I think they are great investments. Rumor has it LEGO will end the theme sometime in 2013, so buy them while they are still around.

I will often go down to the local toy store to see what they have on offer, and some of the sets are shabby to say the least. Lots of shelf wear, and some boxes looking like they were kicked around before going on display. Due to this, I won't buy. I'd rather locate the set through a couple of reputable dealers I use, and they'll post it to me in the original LEGO shipping box. Something that the shop down the road fails to realise is very important when it comes to selling the set on. I do note that other members have raised the issue of the quality of the LEGO box, and let's be honest, they are not what they used to be....but what is these days?

You could tell the store that the condition of the box is important. I bet they would listen to you. My local grocery store stopped carrying a certain product, and my mom asked them to bring it back. The next time we went there, they had some in stock. Stores really do listen to their customers.