STOCKS SUCK!

I just received my yearly statement from my Salomon Smith Barney mutual fund account. I put $5000 into it a little over 5 years ago and it it currently worth $4300. If I invested $5000 in "average" Lego sets 5 years ago and they increased about the average 10% annually that the basic Lego set usually appreciate, I would have Lego sets valued about $8000. Stocks suck.

I thought that mutual funds were supposed to be secure.

Maybe I need to show this post to my dad to convince him to get out of the stock market and start buying Lego!

Mutual funds can and do lose money like any other investment. Plus the management fees are quite high sometimes. I've had success over the years with various mutual funds, but over the last few years, they have not performed well. I really don't bother with stocks right now. I feel like I have no control. The people making financial decisions in the world today leave me with very little confidence. I'll stick with LEGO sets at the moment.

I agree...stocks and mutual fund sucks!!!! I have another addiction and that's collecting Air Jordan Basketball shoes! I got boxes and boxes of Jordan shoes all brand new in mint condition!!! Well the other day I went to clear some closet space to sell JORDANS that I had from 04,05,and 06...and they appreciated but not as much as I hoped for. A pair of $150 JORDANS only fetched me $210. Wish I would of invested in Legos back then...I could be sipping on some wine with Hugh Hefner right now!!! Lol Well maybe not that rich but you get the point. Never knew Lego had this much potential in profits...and it's so much fun it dosent even feel like work!!!

Thanks for the kind words, but you don't want me managing anything. In order to make money in LEGO investing, you actually have to sell your sets to "make money." I have a hard time with the selling part. Ask my wife.

That is exactly my problem. Guess I am more of a collector than seller.

Thanks for the kind words, but you don't want me managing anything. In order to make money in LEGO investing, you actually have to sell your sets to "make money." I have a hard time with the selling part. Ask my wife.

My problem is lack of money.

I imply from the posts that followed the quoted one that the problem is letting the Lego sets sell, because I think that finding buyers is not a problem.

I am right now facing myself with some questions that probably most of you have already faced, questions like which sets to buy/sell? Can I keep this set for myself? Am I spread too thin? Have I bought the right sets? We can sell those 2 sets but can we keep the other 10? Do you mind if I store some boxes in the kitchen cabinets?

I need to sell some sets to be able to receive some income and invest again in Lego, as much as I'd hope for, I don't have Bill Gates' wallet.

For me, this is a hobby that combines something I have really liked since I was a child with something that I've become really good at, but sometimes I stop and wonder if I am looking at all this the wrong way. From time to time I also wonder if I should put together the Green Grocer or see if it does a Cafe Corner and gives me back a very nice profit :')

I imply from the posts that followed the quoted one that the problem is letting the Lego sets sell, because I think that finding buyers is not a problem.

I am right now facing myself with some questions that probably most of you have already faced, questions like which sets to buy/sell? Can I keep this set for myself? Am I spread too thin? Have I bought the right sets? We can sell those 2 sets but can we keep the other 10? Do you mind if I store some boxes in the kitchen cabinets?

I need to sell some sets to be able to receive some income and invest again in Lego, as much as I'd hope for, I don't have Bill Gates' wallet.

For me, this is a hobby that combines something I have really liked since I was a child with something that I've become really good at, but sometimes I stop and wonder if I am looking at all this the wrong way. From time to time I also wonder if I should put together the Green Grocer or see if it does a Cafe Corner and gives me back a very nice profit :')

I am a hoarder. I can tell you what sets to buy, but selling is not in my vocabulary. I enjoy LEGO sets and bricks too much to sell at this point. So, from the point of view of making money, any money I have made investing is just imaginary at this point.

If I really wanted to maximize my potential earnings, I would start selling some of my older STAR WARS sets that have leveled off, but my anal personality and need to obtain every LEGO set is outweighing my need to make money at this stage, ;-)

My problem is lack of money.

Yeah, every set is so attractive but they are soooo expensive.