Am I responsible for return shipping???

wesman888

Bought 2 MISB Sets from an ebay seller, and paid a premium price for it, and when I received the package, opened it, and the boxes were crushed and therefore not MISB condition anymore, and contacted the seller and said he shipped all his Lego that way and have no problem with it. And said I have to pay return shipping for a refund if I don't want it. The 2 sets was put in a smaller box and have the 4 flaps bent to fit and no extra cushions. Will you take them from a MISB sets to a NISB barely condition, or would you use EBay's buyer's protection to return to seller? So frustrated that the seller is packing the MISB sets this way... See pics.. I would never ship my MISB sets this way, will you? I would have shipped it with a bigger box with either paper or bubble cushions to protect the sets. How would you ship the MISB set?

Yes you are responsible. A seller is not required to pay return shipping eBay will only pay for return shipping if your item is ridiculously incorrect or broken if you file a claim In this instance no they will not pay for shipping either

Yes you are responsible. A seller is not required to pay return shipping

eBay will only pay for return shipping if your item is ridiculously incorrect or broken if you file a claim

In this instance no they will not pay for shipping either

Really? So I have to shell out for return shipping on something that was packed poorly? That sucks...

Also don't be so quick to blame the seller. The condition of the shipping package looks like the shipper handled this package very poorly

Well the way it was packaged, Anything that has some weight will crush the box since the box does not have any ridge corners to sustain other package weights that might have put on top. And you don't think there is anything wrong with the way it's shipped?

I would file a claim with EBAY. That was a HORRIBLE way to ship items that were listed MISB. You received the items damaged and no longer mint so the item is no longer as described. I would suggest you contact the seller and explain that they are not as described and they should cover the return shipping (whether it is their fault packaging or the shipping company used). Either way you should not have to pay for return shipping. When I sell items, if the USPS damages them, I always cover the return shipping because it wasn't the buyers fault the were damaged by a clumsy shipping employee.

I would file a claim with EBAY. That was a HORRIBLE way to ship items that were listed MISB. You received the items damaged and no longer mint so the item is no longer as described. I would suggest you contact the seller and explain that they are not as described and they should cover the return shipping (whether it is their fault packaging or the shipping company used). Either way you should not have to pay for return shipping.

When I sell items, if the USPS damages them, I always cover the return shipping because it wasn't the buyers fault the were damaged by a clumsy shipping employee.

I did contacted the seller and he said he ships all the Lego sets this way and never have any problem, and I was like really??? The way he has the set packaged was just asking for trouble. There is no way to ship this way and the sets will remain MISB, I don't care if he ships USPS, UPS or FedEx...

And I always bubble wrapped the sets and have a bigger box with the shipping cushions or paper to fill the gap so the sets won't move much... I was just so mad to see the sets all crushed (even if it's barely crushed)...

This s a problem with Lego. I don't think ebay classifies lego sets as collectibles, therefore you'll have a tough time winning a case over the condition of the box. But yeah, obviously in this instance the seller did a piss poor packing job, and never should have sold these items as mint in box. If you want to try a different approach, you might ask the seller for a partial refund. He knew what he was doing, or at least he will next time.

I think we have all been here at some point. There appears to be NO packaging around the set other than the cardboard. My advice: file a claim. The seller will usually offer a partial refund or PayPal may send a prepaid label for return shipping. NEVER think that you just have to roll over. And for anyone that thinks this set was packaged correctly, please don't ever sell me anything.

He did offer me the shipping refund of 16 bucks and the 2 sets cost me 160 with shipping... I was considering, however the previous response he send me was so arrogent that I was so mad that I told myself I should return them to him. He send me a respond by saying "Listen - just send them back to me and you will be happy blah blah..." as if I messed up this sale... gosh and never admit that he packaged them incorrectly to avoid demaging the box. Would you take the 16? Boxes in that kind of condition would warrant a 20% discount at Lego Outlet store... its not the discount ot matters, its the attitude toward the whole thing..

I am kind of a box snob, so I may not be the best person for that decision. I cannot stand ebay sellers that claim they have "shipped this way before with no problems" and them try to blame the buyer when something goes wrong. I can be kind of a jerk, but I would push back to the limit if you decide that the damage is significant.

I am kind of a box snob, so I may not be the best person for that decision. I cannot stand ebay sellers that claim they have "shipped this way before with no problems" and them try to blame the buyer when something goes wrong. I can be kind of a jerk, but I would push back to the limit if you decide that the damage is significant.

Sweet! A fellow box snob! I was beginning to think I was all alone.

Send them back the same way he did. Jump on the boxes a few times. And add a note saying "here are you mint boxes back, the way you always send them with no problems".

But maybe that is not the best approach...

I wish, but I am not trying to create enemy in any way, just did not think I should be responsible for the return shipping and that the arrogant attitude of the seller just drives me nuts..

Its been my experience that a lot of the big sellers on feebay have this attitude.

I did not recall I bought new sets from Ebay before, I mostly get used sets that does not come with the box and most of the time they come In decent shape... Maybe I should not get new sets from Ebay anymore... I get some of my new sets from Bricklink. Just cannot wait til the BP Classifieds to go live..

Yep, I expect them to show up exactly as the pictures show. For this reason, I never buy sets that use a stock photo and if there is something I can't see, I ask for more shots.

That to me is just not acceptable. Even if the box is not mint, I will always pack my sets the best I can to avoid any damage to the box, even if it is not in mint condition, people should receive the item in the exact same condition they saw it when they agreed to pay the asking price. Why? Because that is exactly what I expect from a seller when I end up being the buyer.

Yep, I expect them to show up exactly as the pictures show. For this reason, I never buy sets that use a stock photo and if there is something I can't see, I ask for more shots.

True, however, the description says MISB so I literally expect to receive the sets in that condition. and I have no doubt before he handed to the USPS it was MISB but the way he packaged it which save him some bucks but ended up one less happy buyer. And it's sad to look at these sets that you can imagine what their conditions were and when they ended up in your hand barely, they are all squeezed and no longer MISB, and I said to myself, why can't they just use a bigger boxes that they might get from buying bigger sets from Toysrus, Target, Walmart, and Lego??? Puzzles me..

That to me is just not acceptable. Even if the box is not mint, I will always pack my sets the best I can to avoid any damage to the box, even if it is not in mint condition, people should receive the item in the exact same condition they saw it when they agreed to pay the asking price. Why? Because that is exactly what I expect from a seller when I end up being the buyer.

I cannot agree with you more... Being on both sides, as a seller I would do my best to preserve the condition, and as a buyer I expect the seller do the same... Just some sellers try to save a few bucks and think that it will get there fine..

True, however, the description says MISB so I literally expect to receive the sets in that condition. and I have no doubt before he handed to the USPS it was MISB but the way he packaged it which save him some bucks but ended up one less happy buyer. And it's sad to look at these sets that you can imagine what their conditions were and when they ended up in your hand barely, they are all squeezed and no longer MISB, and I said to myself, why can't they just use a bigger boxes that they might get from buying bigger sets from Toysrus, Target, Walmart, and Lego??? Puzzles me..

Did you not see pictures of the actual sets? The problem with the term MISB is that it is subjective. Don't get me wrong, I think you should do everything possible to be "made whole". I bought three sets a week ago from one seller that totaled $1450. I sent a letter asking them to be packaged well. Instead, they were each wrapped in a single layer of bubble wrap and then placed in a box with no protection. I anticipated the worst when I opened the box, which for me is a less than perfect box. Somehow, they all made it and were in the condition I expected. I wasn't looking forward to the hassle of a return. This seller just got lucky and can now add this to his list of items that have "arrived as expected". Someone will get screwed by him/her at some point.

I would file a claim with EBAY. That was a HORRIBLE way to ship items that were listed MISB. You received the items damaged and no longer mint so the item is no longer as described. I would suggest you contact the seller and explain that they are not as described and they should cover the return shipping (whether it is their fault packaging or the shipping company used). Either way you should not have to pay for return shipping.

When I sell items, if the USPS damages them, I always cover the return shipping because it wasn't the buyers fault the were damaged by a clumsy shipping employee.

I agree with this. It was poor packaging and you have the hammer as a buyer. You can threaten to leave negative feedback and the seller cannot return the favor. He should pay for return shipping with that half as*ed effort in packaging.

Bottom line. If you aren't happy and items are not as described, then return them. If you can accept it, take the refund and leave appropriate dsr rating in 'item as described'. Personally I agree it wasn't the best packaging job. I've had much much worse but just decided to keep and open so not to deal with returning the item. I have 2 ebay accounts now, 1 for buying and 1 for selling. I don't want people being spiteful if I buy something from them and it is not as described and they come back and try the same thing just for revenge. As a top rated seller, I always do everything I can to make buyer happy so i can keep getting all the benefits of a top rated seller.