853373 - Kingdoms Chess

LEGO HULK

As with most sets that retired...here's another one I regret not buying more of last year.  Been able to flip some sets for +$100 locally lately so great margins.  Got to keep one for personal collection...wifey said this will be a great investment so her prediction was right.  At regular prices of $39.99 US and $49.99 CAN it was good value for all the pieces/minifigs you get.  Was even better when you purchased with polybag promo like mini vw camper or 2X-3X vip pts etc. 

Anybody stockpiled huge with this set?  10, 20, 30 or more?  Looks like a big winner. 

when did they ever sell for $39.99? i got all mine for $49.99, but at $100+ value a piece i cant complain to much :twitch:

when did they ever sell for $39.99? i got all mine for $49.99, but at $100+ value a piece i cant complain to much :twitch:

At $49.99 looks like a steal right now...I thought the US prices were cheaper than CAN on this?  Guess I was wrong.  Lego Store had it on sale for a very short time/limited stock at $24.98 before 'sold out' but I didn't notice before it was too late. 

Just sold another set for $120 yesterday after fees/shipping so nice ROI indeed.    Who knows when the next chess set will come out...could be hold ****** profit more scenario on this - but I don't have the patience haha.   

My last 2 chess sets are now gone...$150 + shipping and no problem selling, only have 1 left for personal collection.  Members that have a few left, enjoy the ROI, set might approach $200 by end of year depending on your market.  Too bad I can't find any independent toy stores that stock these :)  Anybody that can still find them (Europe etc.) - buy, buy, buy.   

Hmmm, a lot more work but I would imagine parting out this set might get you more ROI too.  Chess pieces usually/eventually go missing...unless you replace it with another minifig that doesn't match.  I've been meaning to do a custom SW chess set...using chrome TC14/CP3O as pawns :) 

I had no idea this was EOL, I was actually going to try to pick one up for myself. Oh well.

There were rumours last yr...because the older medieval/Kingdoms theme sets were basically all retired already.  Maybe Lego just produced ONE run of this set in 2012...and it took this long to clear stock?  Kinda under the radar, there were tons of stock left at the 3 Lego stores in my city from Feb-Aug 2013...when I called early this month to check on stock the rep said they were all gone in Dec.  Would have definitely been nice to pick up some more in Dec and I heard they were on sale too.   

Guest TabbyBoy

This is the sneaky set. It vanished last May over here with all the EOL signs. But re-appeared in October.

It was a handy set to buy to get you over the

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sure glad i bought a dozen of these back when they were retail in the US, seem to be selling for $100+ on ebay and amazon and they have onlybeen retired like 3 months, cant wait to see where it is in 1-2 years :)

Yup, the little stock I had all sold in January for +$100...I kept on raising the price after each sale and people keep on buying until inventory ran out.  I kept one for personal use/collection.  Really wished I had more.  Rookie mistake not stocking up for a good value set.   

Any developments on this one? Here in Europe they are still in stock at shop at home. I have one and I am tempted to buy more. Add one on each order I place.

I think shipping costs/fees would kill decent profits...but would be adventageous to have a trading partner overseas for sets that retire first in CAN/US and vice versa.  Nice to buy a set even at full retail knowing buyers are paying 2x's cost in secondary market already...little to no risk.  Just different packaging I would assume.           

• 1 month later...

You are right. I forgot about that. So it was only waiting for it to happen in the rest of the world.

I just bought one a second ago on ebay. So I have a total of three. I was planning to buy one every order from lego. Guess I am to late! pffffffff

Been EOL in the US since early 2013, wouldn't be surprised if it's the end of it in other countries aswell.

What has the price development been since they went EOL in the US? Interesting to know so if interesting, I will buy the last reasonably priced ones I can find online.

What has the price development been since they went EOL in the US? Interesting to know so if interesting, I will buy the last reasonably priced ones I can find online.

They seem to be going for around 70-80 US on eBay, decent return, but I think it may go up after the true EOL.