Sketchy deals, drop shipping questions.

Diabolos80

On ebay, right now, i could buy a vampyre castle brand new for 87 bucks with free shipping. Or a helms deep for 115 with free shipping, or a fire brigade for 120 with free shipping. How is this possible? An 87 dollar vc after 10 dollars in ebay and paypal fees, minus 13 dollars to ship it, means this guy is looking at a net sale of 64 dollars. The listing seems legit. He's got a photo of it, he's got a history of selling big sets at discounts, and he's got 100% feedback. Am i missing something here? How is this guy making ANY money unless he's drop shipping or selling stolen merchandise?

This kind of thing angers me to be honest. Being in Canada means we pay more for the average sets, meaning tighter profit margins. I haven`t sold anything, but just taking a look at prices of items currently available, means for me to make any money I can`t even compete. There is just no way for people who buy at higher cost on sets to make a profit right now. $64 for a VC doesn`t seem right, seeing as the cheapest I can buy one for now is $110. Same goes for the others sets you mentioned like FB for $120. Would cost $200, and even compared to US retail seems to be sketchy.

Guest ph4tb0i

Unless a LOT of people start doing this on eBay I wouldn't worry about it. You never know what the situation may be (e.***. he/she might be going through a divorce and have to liquidate to pay lawyer fees, money because they need to pay medical bills, etc, etc.). FWIW I think the value of these sets will go up in a couple of years. So unless you were thinking of short term flipping, I wouldn't worry about it. Good deal for the buyer though! :)

Many of you saw the threads I posted about a seller I thought was a fraud selling a 8110 for $179 NIB with free shipping, turned out he was legit. The item was damaged and he let me know that he wound up spending $120 each of them for his cost. Don't ask where anyone has ever been able to get an 8110 for $120. He was an excellent seller though with over 1000 feedback 100% positive and he earned it.

• 1 year later...

The listings below are worrisome in a Lego world where there are no discounts on exclusives/HTF sets.

The bargain hunter in me took a shot anyway.  We shall see how it plays out.

Paid $450 for (3) 10240

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151473631322

Paid $72 for (1) 10235

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151473631940

Feedback looks good, the LEGO they have sold all has some good feedback, might of just needed money for the holidays.

He sells a lot of Baby related stuff and could be buying salvage as well.  Thats what I deal in.   Lots of these sets were on WM.com loads and Amazon loads in the past.   Some companies buy the full loads and break them down into "themed" pallets of which he could of purchased.  There are ways to get discounts on sets and they are legitimate so wouldn't worry to much.  Hopefully it turns out well but based on there feedback think your fine.

Feedback looks good, the LEGO they have sold all has some good feedback, might of just needed money for the holidays.

He sells a lot of Baby related stuff and could be buying salvage as well.  Thats what I deal in.   Lots of these sets were on WM.com loads and Amazon loads in the past.   Some companies buy the full loads and break them down into "themed" pallets of which he could of purchased.  There are ways to get discounts on sets and they are legitimate so wouldn't worry to much.  Hopefully it turns out well but based on there feedback think your fine.

Your response has sparke dmy interest.   Should I PM you for elaboration on: "Lots of these sets were on WM.com loads and Amazon loads in the past.   Some companies buy the full loads and break them down into "themed" pallets of which he could of purchased."

Well, you already bought. I'm sure you'll get the items. It will be obvious if it's a drop-ship scam once you receive it. If they came direct from Lego, or some other retailer, it's a scam. The only thing you're risking here, I think, is being unfortunately blacklisted by Lego or the appropriate retailer if they uncover the scammer and decide you're to blame as well.

Your response has sparke dmy interest.   Should I PM you for elaboration on: "Lots of these sets were on WM.com loads and Amazon loads in the past.   Some companies buy the full loads and break them down into "themed" pallets of which he could of purchased."

I don't deal much with California (which is where he is at) .  There are some big players in salvage out there and due to shipping to the east coast I don't buy much as its close to $4500 per trailer to ship truck or $3500 for rail (which is slow).  

Just saying theres other ways to get discounts that are legitimate.  Not everything is always a scam.

Again the guy could of just needed money.  He's not selling to ridiculously low and might of used a Merlin 20% off pass coupon when he originally bought them so he'd only be losing a few bucks.  I don't know but the feedback goes back for awhile so more than less would of been caught by now with a dropship scam.

All that baby stuff (Joovy, Britax, etc ) Amazon does a lot of closeouts on so leads me to believe he might be buying from one of the salvage companies out there.   Some of the loads are enormous and cost close to half a million so the bigger companies break them down and charge percentages based by the category to make them more affordable for the small time customer.  

• 3 months later...

I recently bought an item off eBay that arrived today shipped by Sears. I checked and it was $8 more expensive on Sears than what I paid for it. However, under the billing address it is my own address. I paid through PayPal so the seller shouldn't have access to my credit card. Also, on the packing slip there is no price next to subtotal or total amount. Next to subtotal it has "ES. CC" printed, and next to Total amount it states "GI. AP". I'm not sure, but I think the rest of the seller's items are being drop shipped from Sears since he is selling Craftsman tools and small kitchen appliances. The seller has almost all positive feedback and has been a member since 2001. I just wanted to see if anybody here can shed any light on my situation. 

I recently bought an item off eBay that arrived today shipped by Sears. I checked and it was $8 more expensive on Sears than what I paid for it. However, under the billing address it is my own address. I paid through PayPal so the seller shouldn't have access to my credit card. Also, on the packing slip there is no price next to subtotal or total amount. Next to subtotal it has "ES. CC" printed, and next to Total amount it states "GI. AP". I'm not sure, but I think the rest of the seller's items are being drop shipped from Sears since he is selling Craftsman tools and small kitchen appliances. The seller has almost all positive feedback and has been a member since 2001. I just wanted to see if anybody here can shed any light on my situation.

The only thing I can think of is he mastered the syw program and is getting stuff at little to no cost. There has to be one person in this world who understand that program, right?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Brickpicker mobile app