9474 - The Battle of Helm's Deep

Where are you finding these? It may likely be a scam unless it is a local deal. The Helm's Deep is an ok price, you can do better with a bit of work but its not bad. The DS price is good but it may not be the best investment set out there given that we don't know when it will retire.

And also what about death star for 320?

instant equity. Definitely a good price. It's no secret that this set is going to do well in the secondary market but expect to hold on to it for quite a while. Right now just about everyone who really really wants one has it or has the opportunity to get it for the standard MSRP

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Any suggestions as to what would be my best buy for Helm's Deep? I'm limited to retailers shipping to Canada.

I hope to be spending a lot more time on the forums and thank you for taking the time to help out a newbie.

Cheers.

Guest ph4tb0i

for investing or for collecting?

If investing I would say give it up as only the lego store (LEGO Shop at Home) or TRU have it now, and I think it's around 170+tax. Wal-Mart cleared these all out a while ago at 120, and I haven't been able to see any Targets with these. You might be able to luck out and have an Ebayer (or a fellow BP-er) who will sell you one and ship it out to Canada. 

If collecting, well, what you want to pay is what you want to pay. :)

Thanks very much ph4tb0i.  It's collecting at this point as I've just (i.e., yesterday) started a collection which I hope to maintain for my newborn son.  At 24 days old, his interest is, as yet, uninterested.  That said, Dad here has always wanted to collect Lego!

Guest ph4tb0i

Never mind, no Canadian retailers have it but Amazon.co.uk ships to Canada. They have it for 79.97GBP, which will work out to about 145CAD assuming you get dinged by UPS for brokerage + customs. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007456EYU/ref=s9_simh_gw_p21_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=04RK5HEFNATVRR5SHH6V&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=358549767&pf_rd_i=468294

Hope that helps!

Try http://www.playvaluetoys.com/ I've purchased from them before, service is good and so is the packaging.  20% off (all Lego) so $169.99 turns to $135.99 when you add to cart.  Not an awesome price but never the less cheaper than any regular retail price.  They do charge a delivery fee no matter how small or big your order is.  Locally in Ont it's about $14 unless you want the drive to Ottawa.  Make sure you don't buy them all and save me ONE :)  I'm still holding out on getting it cheaper without international purchase.  Would just like this set for personal collection since I love the scene. 

Good luck and have fun with investing/Lego.   

Welcome Viking! I started collecting again when my son was a few days old (Dec. 2012) and I'm loving every minute.

So for Helm's Deep Walmart has them online only for $129 but they've been out of stock for a while. Otherwise as ph4tb0i has pointed out Amazon.co.uk is probably your cheapest bet at the moment. 

My go-to sites for checking up on prices in Canada are Walmart, Chapters, Sears (expect your set to come banged up), Playvaluetoys, Futureshop, Bestbuy and Hobbywholesale. I may be missing some, those are off the top of my head. Some sets are also available for shipping from Amazon.com but it's hit or miss and most won't ship to Canada. I regularily check Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.fr, Amazon.es, Amazon.it and Amazon.de. You can use brickpicker to track specific sets, and I also use www.brickbadger.com which gives a general overview of each site.

Never mind, no Canadian retailers have it but Amazon.co.uk ships to Canada. They have it for 79.97GBP, which will work out to about 145CAD assuming you get dinged by UPS for brokerage + customs. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007456EYU/ref=s9_simh_gw_p21_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=04RK5HEFNATVRR5SHH6V&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=358549767&pf_rd_i=468294

Hope that helps!

Don't forget that this price includes the 16% (I think - maybe it is 18% - someone across the pond can clarify) VAT which is deducted if shipped outside the EU or UK.  And see the other thread on amazon.co.uk for advice on brokerage fees.  You definitely can get that money back, which should bring your average price for this set under $110 (depending how many you order - order at least 2 or 3 to help spread the shipping.  The first is 4.95 pounds, but onle 2 pounds for each additional set).  I've picked up several of these from amazon.co.uk and have already sold a couple on kijiji.ca for a decent return, as it is still much less than CAN retail.