What is this...??

Guest AnnexBrett

Guest AnnexBrett

Hi All, I was strolling around ebay and I found this "unbeatable" offer of a super exclusive LEGO SW vehicle! Quite annoying IMO! I think my 8 yr old could 'design' this... WoW some people try everything to scam buyers! http://www.ebay.com/itm/121089346171?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Guest AnnexBrett

Yeah THE PRICE!!! Some of you probably havent even noticed that is not only a garbage 'model' with all the obviously fake description with it ( ex lego designer, super exclusive blah blah). But its listed for a bargain of $1350!!! WTH!!

It reminds me of the Star Tours thing I have seen posts about on the internet. I think it is Disney land or Disney world related.

That is exactly what the spaceship is supposed to be. It's the Star Tours ride at Disneyland. I should know cause I went on it once when I was a kid. There are quite a few CUUSOO projects up for this Starspeeder. It's an okay design but what gets me is how much it looks more like a Star Trek spaceship than a Star Wars one in my opinion.

It is a close replica to the ride. You can't really fault the design because he is only working with what is actually at Disney World. Actually, the ride was awesome, but I believe they are upgrading the entire STAR WARS section in Hollywood Studios so this ride might be replaced or EOLed...LOL. On topic, if the item can be verified, it can easily be worth that price.

I like this set. I wouldn't pay that much, but if the description is true, I don't think $1,350 is that unreasonable to the right collector. I'm guessing that the seller doesn't have any supporting documentation; otherwise, he would have probably said so in the description.

It's worth noting that he was a LEGO intern, not a full designer (unless someone else has information to the contrary), and his contribution to the Palace Cinema was the initial "sketch" build, which was polished and completed by an official LEGO designer, Astrid Graab

It's worth noting that he was a LEGO intern, not a full designer (unless someone else has information to the contrary), and his contribution to the Palace Cinema was the initial "sketch" build, which was polished and completed by an official LEGO designer, Astrid Graab

What value would you guys put on this set if Jordan Schwartz were the person selling this directly and he provided documentation to forever certify the set's provenance?

Jordan is a fantastic builder IMO but any set with this few pieces, regardless of what background it has, is overpriced at $1350. Perhaps my overall lack of Lego capital is the deciding influence here, but I have no idea who could justify the cost, even if it had documentation. I mean come on, it`s maybe 400-500 pieces and the Bricklink value for the parts is likely less than $40. In all fairness though, it is a nice custom, but not justifiable over $80-$100. What puzzles me is why the seller would bother listing it at that price in the first place?

Jordan is a fantastic builder IMO but any set with this few pieces, regardless of what background it has, is overpriced at $1350. Perhaps my overall lack of Lego capital is the deciding influence here, but I have no idea who could justify the cost, even if it had documentation. I mean come on, it`s maybe 400-500 pieces and the Bricklink value for the parts is likely less than $40. In all fairness though, it is a nice custom, but not justifiable over $80-$100. What puzzles me is why the seller would bother listing it at that price in the first place?

I wonder this about a lot of sets on eBay........why bother listing a set 3000X the amount that similar sets are going for?

The design may be legit but the dubious cost is what puts this off. The materials needed to construct it obviously aren't near what he's asking, so that leaves the subjective matter of whether or not the design is worth paying for. I would say no personally, regardless of who built this. Selling "plans" to allow builders to construct this thing on their own might have been a better business venture, but that is yet to be determined because if he can sell this thing for anywhere near what he is asking for, then maybe the method he chose was more profitable after all.

The guy's website (http://www.jrschwartz.com/lego) says, "Until eventually, in late 2010, I was hired by The LEGO Company with a temporary contract as a set designer."

That's odd, several other websites say that his internship with LEGO started in January 2011. It looks to me as though what he's describing as a "temporary contract as a set designer" is in fact what LEGO itself would call an "internship".

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2010/11/27/its-not-like-i-applied-for-the-job-just-for-giggles-an-interview-with-jordan-schwartz/

Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against the guy personally, I just prefer to see the facts represented accurately. If it was an internship, call it that, don't dance around it.