75014 - Battle of Hoth

Blackjack

75014 Battle of Hoth.  What's the Point?

This set doesn't exactly have a bad piece count and the new Snowtroopers, Luke and Rieekan are nice, but why did TLG release this set? There have been a million battle of Hoth sets, many of which have been quite recent, and this one doesn't really have anything unique about it. However, do you people think that it will do well as an investment because it is a hard to find item and because of the minifigs, or if it will flop because of the fact that it really brings nothing new to the table.

I was kind of wondering the same thing. Seems like the Rebel Troopers Battle Pack, as well as another Battle of Hoth set that came with the trenches, laser cannon, and Han Solo on a Taun Taun, mushed together. To be honest, I think that the Battle of Hoth in the actual movies was one of the best parts, so to me it also seems logical to have at least one of this type of set in circulation. Once the Rebel Troopers Battle Pack went EOL, this one came out. I think it will do well as an investment, just because it seems like a current trend of Hoth sets doing pretty well in the secondary market after EOL. It does bring a couple new things to the table, but I agree that it is mainly a remake of other sets. However, this is on my "To Buy For Building" list, because it includes a bunch of elements that are crucial to a successful Hoth scene (ie. Snowspeeder, turrets, Taun Tauns, Probe Droid, trenches, etc.)

All of the Hoth sets are pretty lame to me because its just a little white wall, a turret, and a Snowspeeder. If they release another one, it needs to be a UCS set with the four big 'power unit?' things that are actually seen in the movie, a hanger for speeders, and a large movie acurate control room.

All of the Hoth sets are pretty lame to me because its just a little white wall, a turret, and a Snowspeeder. If they release another one, it needs to be a UCS set with the four big 'power unit?' things that are actually seen in the movie, a hanger for speeders, and a large movie acurate control room.

Sounds like you want something like the Echo Base set along with Snowspeeders, and other stuff like that. I would like one too, but for now we have to buy 2+ sets in order to complete the scene....or just make a MOC!

I think it will flop. I think I have almost every star wars set from the last 3 years and I am strongly considering skipping this one. I complained when I saw the release of this and I am still not sold on it. We essentially already have everything from the set in other sets. Big thumbs down for me.

There IS and has NEVER been anything that looks remotely like Echo Base, and that $90 set, while maybe a good investment, certainly has no appeal to me! Which is why Lego needs to stop beating around the bush with the trench/turret crap, and give us meat and potatoes with a UCS set that has exterior walls and removable roof.

Never have bought any of the hoth sets, and I don't intend to unless TLG decides to impress me. I think this set is going to flop, especially since there will probably be another hoth that almost looks exactly like it in 2 to 3 years. It's a bad investment in my opinion.

Never have bought any of the hoth sets, and I don't intend to unless TLG decides to impress me. I think this set is going to flop, especially since there will probably be another hoth that almost looks exactly like it in 2 to 3 years. It's a bad investment in my opinion.

You have the battle pack though?

This set doesn't exactly have a bad piece count and the new Snowtroopers, Luke and Rieekan are nice, but why did TLG release this set? There have been a million battle of Hoth sets, many of which have been quite recent, and this one doesn't really have anything unique about it. However, do you people think that it will do well as an investment because it is a hard to find item and because of the minifigs, or if it will flop because of the fact that it really brings nothing new to the table.

Why does LEGO release new X-Wings every year? New Tie Fighters? Why? New LEGO fans. Just because you are bored with them, there are thousands of new fans yearly that want remakes.

Why does LEGO release new X-Wings every year? New Tie Fighters? Why? New LEGO fans. Just because you are bored with them, there are thousands of new fans yearly that want remakes.

Snowspeeders have been made WAY more than Tie Fighters and even Regular X-Wings. The noobs will have to do without!

Snowspeeders have been made WAY more than Tie Fighters and even Regular X-Wings. The noobs will have to do without!

Actually the regular X-Wings have 7 remakes including the UCS model. Snowspeeder is around 3 or 4. X-Wing has the most remakes of any SW set. Overused IMO.

Without really going into too much detail...

12 sets with X-Wing in title

21 sets with Tie Fighter in title

4 sets with Snowspeeder in Title

This is an approximation of course and there are sets like the Hoth Sets that don't have the term Snowspeeder in it, but you can see my point.

I'm personally passing on this set to invest OR build. It would be nice if Lego made a realistic Hoth base that included elements of both the bases they attempted. I liked the main entrance of 7666, and the Bacta tank type stuff of the second incarnation, but they never really put it all together for a singular set. A true Hoth base would probably be in the $149 range because it would have a base w/gate, reactor, snowspeeder, tauntauns, ion cannon, turrets and about 15 minifigs.

But that kills value and bores people.

IMO, remakes look better than the older versions mainly because they use new elements that weren't included in the prior version. It doesn't kill value, but it does lower it. However, if you are a smart investor, you will be able to get back your moola before the value starts to decline/plateau. I personally think that the newer versions don't bore people. Comparing the first Snowspeeder to the most recent one, I would get the newer one everyday!

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly. There have been 2 Tie fighters made, not talking about variations, just the original Tie fighter -- the first in 2000, I think, and the new one currently for sale. The X-wing came out in 1999, 2.0 design later with the yoda hut, a third version almost identical to 2.0 that was the TRU exclusive, and then the one we have now for sale. Snowspeeders? I will count what I have tonight, but if I said 7 or 8 minifig scale snowspeeders have been released since 1999, that would be pretty darn close. All that to say, Hoth has been done to death -- and each new "version" of the snowspeeder is almost identical to the last, it's maddening. I hope I don't see another new snowspeeder AT LEAST until after the sequel films are done! Okay, rant over...

IMO, remakes look better than the older versions mainly because they use new elements that weren't included in the prior version. It doesn't kill value, but it does lower it. However, if you are a smart investor, you will be able to get back your moola before the value starts to decline/plateau. I personally think that the newer versions don't bore people. Comparing the first Snowspeeder to the most recent one, I would get the newer one everyday!...except that they're all practically the same...

• 2 weeks later...