Barnes and Noble Buy 1 Get 1 50% Off Sale (Now Through April 31st)

chess227

I was in Barnes and Noble today to look at their inventory after somebody mentioned they hold on to older sets longer and I was amazed at the amount of older sets they had in stock. Granted, all of it was garbage from an investment standpoint.

They had the following from Pharaoh's Quest

9 boxes of Scorpion Pyramid (7327)

4 boxes of Rise of the Sphinx (7326)

And they had a lot of Atlantis stuff

3 boxes of City of Atlantis (7985)

2 boxes of Guardian of the Deep (8058)

And some stuff from Alien Conquest which is more common

7 boxes of Alien Mothership (7065)

11 boxes of UFO Abduction (7052)

All of it was still retail. The thing that really stood out to me was that they had all of this shelf space dedicated to these old sets and they have minimal amounts of Friends, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings or Hobbit sets.

I am just curious. Do they ever clearance their stuff or if my only hope of making a profit there to find a rare set long after EOL and pick it up for retail? I just haven't shopped at B&****** a lot.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i had the same experience. i stopped in hoping to find some harry potter, and found the same crap that you did, all at retail! sometimes they run some sets at 30% off, but how they decide what sets to discount is beyond me. you would think that since they have had these sets for 2-4 years now that they would clearance them out and make room for some good stuff.

Also note that Harry Potter can still be found - but it is always at the Harry Potter book table randomly located in each store, and NOT in the Lego section usually. I was still finding some in Atlanta when I travelled for work last month. I have yet to see them discounted though - outside of one B&****** that had at one point marked down some old star wars 35% off, and then PEELED OFF THE STICKERS so they were back at full retail. lol.

Also note that Harry Potter can still be found - but it is always at the Harry Potter book table randomly located in each store, and NOT in the Lego section usually. I was still finding some in Atlanta when I travelled for work last month.

I have yet to see them discounted though - outside of one B&****** that had at one point marked down some old star wars 35% off, and then PEELED OFF THE STICKERS so they were back at full retail. lol.

Mine did this as well with some older Star Wars sets like the T-1 Jedi Shuttle. The Harry Potter and LotR stuff has been gone for a long time in my B&******.

I've seen some beat up boxes of the not so desirable POC sets marked at 30% off. But other than that, not much is ever marked down. I did find some Harry Potter sets a few weeks back on the Harry Potter table.....all at retail, but I still grabbed them all. Also, not sure if everyone knows, but don't just look at the free standing Lego kiosk. They also have Lego sets in the toy aisle shelves. Usually a bunch of Star Wars. I didn't realize this for the longest time, I only looked at the Lego kiosk.

I just received an e-mail from B&****** stating that starting Thursday they are doing a BOGO @ 50% on educational toys, with a picture of a Chima set.

If this truly will work on LEGO then this could get some great deals. Olivia's House would be about $47.25 before tax and with 10% memebership discount. My wife gets all of our B&****** emails because the membership is in her name. She hasn't told me about this email so I think she is holding out on me. Must not want me to buy any more :)

I just scouted my local store hoping to see some older sets like you guys mentioned. The only older things they had were a couple Alien Conquest sets and a few Star Wars sets from 2010 or 2011. None of the Star Wars sets looked all that appealing to me from a builders standpoint and I looked them up on here anyway only to find that they were all sluggish sets in regards to investing value. There was a frigate, and another larger ship that looked kinda silly like it would have been something the gungans used, but I can't remember the name. It was green and had a fin in the back. If this BOGO deal is true I could almost see myself grabbing that frigate, maybe. Does this membership and 10% discount you guys speak of cost money?

If this BOGO deal is true I could almost see myself grabbing that frigate, maybe. Does this membership and 10% discount you guys speak of cost money?

Yes, the membership is $25/year I believe. I think you can get a 2 month free trial but I'm not sure.

I will go by there tomorrow and see if they are having the sale. Hopefully it's not regional and not an email specific sale or something like that

I'm going to check mine out as well as I got this one too. We have 2 B&******'s here in Lincoln so I'll check them both out for Lego. The selection isn't always awesome, but at BOGO 50% and 10% off for members, it's a good deal, assuming they both are eligible.

Have either of you checked B&****** for this sale yet? I am going to go out in a bit and I was wondering if anyone had any luck.

I just did and it is on. It does include lego and it rings into their system without having to be manually done. Kind of ironic I posted this just a few days ago. Also prices seem to be right at retail as well

Sounds great. I am out the door in just a few minutes.

Yes, the membership is $25/year I believe. I think you can get a 2 month free trial but I'm not sure.

You can get a 2 month trial. If you google "Barnes and noble 2 month free trial" it will take you to a page on their site that lets you do it. You do have to order something hen you sign up for it, but I just tossed in a $2 children's book and got it with that. It will send you your member number within a hour or so via email and you just read that off to them at the register when you go to the store.