Serious Play

Blackjack

I don't see why they couldn't possibly cross it.  I mean the Death Star has been going for 5+ years at $400 without an end in sight.  And from what I could tell with the MF is that it sold well at the $500.

Sure the Serious Play is for a completely different market, but lego has (what seems anyways) consistantly sold $400 sets.  I'm mostly just being optimistic about it honestly.

Of course one could argue that the market for Serious Play is not big enough.  Then again, it could be a vastly untapped market that Lego thinks it can exploit.

I don't dispute they could cross the $500 threshold.  I just don't think they will because:

1. $400 sets take a long time to sell.

2. $500 is 25% more expensive than a $400 set - a big jump in price - and likely an even slower sale.

3. Lego prices to their target market, and the retail toy market will not typically pay $500+ for a set while a corporate market might.  Keep in mind this Serious Play concept has yet to be proven at market.  It's quite possible these will not sell to corporate customers at these high price points.

Why have The Death Star and SSD been out a long time?  Because they don't sell quickly, not because demand has drive TLG to continuously pump these out.  The Even 10179 was out almost 3 years and likely had a small production run. 

There's a reason TLG hasn't released a $500 set since the 10179 - they just don't turnover fast enough for retailers and take up a ton of space on retail shelves.

I think if some 10179 on steroids similar type of set was released by LEGO, the current market would eat them up...especially if they were numbered.  This "Serious Play" set is geared towards a unique user and has no real value to the regular collector, but it's my belief people would pay $700 or more for a 6000 or 7000 piece set.

:twitch: Thread merged. We were just talking about the insane prices these have and who the heck would be crazy enough to buy them? Also something about a rare part from the Millennium Falcon or something.

Thanks!  :D I`ll brush up on the conversation. Not very good product images though (you can`t zoom in yet haha, so not sure if anyone will be able to see everything included). 

:twitch: Thread merged. We were just talking about the insane prices these have and who the heck would be crazy enough to buy them? Also something about a rare part from the Millennium Falcon or something.

I am pretty sure that there is a rare part in the Falcon that is in the set.

I think if some 10179 on steroids similar type of set was released by LEGO, the current market would eat them up...especially if they were numbered.  This "Serious Play" set is geared towards a unique user and has no real value to the regular collector, but it's my belief people would pay $700 or more for a 6000 or 7000 piece set.

^--- Second!

Give me a 6000+ AT-AT set and I would buy it the day it came out ;)  Or something else...  It wouldn't matter honestly.

So I did some looking around, and in fact, there are rare parts to the 10179 Falcon in the Lego Serious Play 200431. In the Falcon, there are two of these pieces. The price for them is not the best in the world. $99 for 2 pieces. I would not want to pay that just to complete a UCS Falcon. I would much rather pay $754.99 to get the pieces I need for the Falcon and some extra pieces.

So I did some looking around, and in fact, there are rare parts to the 10179 Falcon in the Lego Serious Play 200431. In the Falcon, there are two of these pieces. The price for them is not the best in the world. $99 for 2 pieces. I would not want to pay that just to complete a UCS Falcon. I would much rather pay $754.99 to get the pieces I need for the Falcon and some extra pieces.

Here is where I'm finding this picture very puzzling.  According to the piece listing on the lego customer service, that mast is not listed at all. On top of that, the listing itself seems a bit trunkated...  It looks like there should be way more different pieces listed according to lego.

There are a couple of options here:

1. The boat mast does not actually exist in the serious play set

2. The boat mast is being purposely left off the piece listing on purpose so people don't buy it or something and actually does exist in the set

3. Lego is just teasing to see who actually buys the set!

I'm curious if anyone has actually dipped in and bought the set to confirm whether or not the MF boat mast actually exists.

Take this for what it's worth of course, but I got off the phone with Lego Customer Service, and according to the lady I was talking to, their database still shows the MF boat mast as discontinued and their parts department does not have any in stock.

Now if the serious play set does indeed actually have the part, I would reason to believe that it could actually show up in the parts department for ordering.

I'm taking that with a big grain of salt of course.  But I don't see why that part couldn't possibly come back.

Of course if this does happen, I would expect the actual cost to the piece to come down enough to make it actually affordable in the secondary market.

Here is where I'm finding this picture very puzzling.  According to the piece listing on the lego customer service, that mast is not listed at all. On top of that, the listing itself seems a bit trunkated...  It looks like there should be way more different pieces listed according to lego.

There are a couple of options here:

1. The boat mast does not actually exist in the serious play set

2. The boat mast is being purposely left off the piece listing on purpose so people don't buy it or something and actually does exist in the set

3. Lego is just teasing to see who actually buys the set!

I'm curious if anyone has actually dipped in and bought the set to confirm whether or not the MF boat mast actually exists.

I am going with the second option. Every time I look at the picture that LEGO Shop at Home provides, I see the boat mast in the middle of the picture. I am thinking that TLG did not put it on the list so people would not get more of those because they are so rare and expensive. I would not spend $800 just to see of those pieces are in the set. Also, not a lot of people are going to buy this to begin with. All the set is is a lot of random pieces. Plus, the PPP ratio is not the best. 2,500 pieces for about $750.

Thinking about parts like this makes me wish I`d have gone broke buying Falcons...then I`d be rich, in contrast  :laugh: Satellite dish is worth a small fortune as well. I do wonder about that rigging piece though. Worth buying the serious play set for that alone I`d say.  

I am going with the second option. Every time I look at the picture that LEGO Shop at Home provides, I see the boat mast in the middle of the picture. I am thinking that TLG did not put it on the list so people would not get more of those because they are so rare and expensive. I would not spend $800 just to see of those pieces are in the set. Also, not a lot of people are going to buy this to begin with. All the set is is a lot of random pieces. Plus, the PPP ratio is not the best. 2,500 pieces for about $750.

I agree with you on the part that it's purposely omitted.

But what I guess I find odd, is that generally Lego could give two craps about the secondary market and tries ways to hinder it.  So it seems somewhat odd that they don't have the part listed to be replaced incase it was lost.  They have plenty of other parts listed as such.

Hey more power to Lego, but danggit if this isn't a sweet opportunity to make it more accessable for the MF masts....

I for the most part don't see anything outside of the MF masts that make it reasonable to buy it for the parts and part it out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey you lovely people, have any of you(dumb question) seen this? : http://shop.lego.com/en-GB/LEGO-SERIOUS-PLAY-Identity-and-Landscape-Kit-2000430?fromListing=listing

Is this a great way to sell parts or a **** load of money for nothing?

What do we all think?

Sorry if this has been posted before(i'm in the pub, on a i-pod(very small screen)) ooohhh more beer!

Laters.. Stomping

Hey you lovely people, have any of you(dumb question) seen this? : http://shop.lego.com/en-GB/LEGO-SERIOUS-PLAY-Identity-and-Landscape-Kit-2000430?fromListing=listing

Is this a great way to sell parts or a **** load of money for nothing?

What do we all think?

Sorry if this has been posted before(i'm in the pub, on a i-pod(very small screen)) ooohhh more beer!

Laters.. Stomping

OMG, it has DUPLO mixed in! Aren't there pieces from big zoo?? :shocked:  What next, Lego with some Kre-o mixed in?