Serious Play

Blackjack

Can someone please explain this? I've read abot it in a lot of Lego books being the nerd that I am, but still don't understand it. I think it's supposed to be about learning to express your emotions and feelings through Lego, and learn to work as a team or something. All of the 'sets' just look like Bucket of Bricks on steroids. In the books I've read, it shows adults sitting around discussing what their creations mean and how their feelings or personality affected it. You may disagree, but it looks pretty dumb to me.

• 7 months later...
Guest brickcrazyhouse

in the $750 one there a handfull of the grey lattice for the 10179.  if these are made or at least bought for therapy can will my healthcare cover it

in the $750 one there a handfull of the grey lattice for the 10179.  if these are made or at least bought for therapy can will my healthcare cover it

Pretty sure that's dark blay. The ladders are much lighter and then the arches are even lighter.

Edit: Well, I notice 2 shades of dark in the tackle box looking thing to. Not sure anymore...if they start popping up on ebay cheap then you know hah. If you bought this during double VIP you would pretty much get the lego free if you sell just the masts. 600 + 150 in VIP.

I noticed this myself, and I thought it was unusual for lego.  I just don't understand the price point, unless there is like software or something super awesome included in it, but it doesn't appear to be that way.

I just wonder how they are going to market it without it falling flat on its face.

What is their ultimate market for this???

I actually went to B school with a guy who, as his career, hosted "idea parties" for businesses that would attempt to tap into the creative sides of their employees/management's brains to generate ideas for new products/businesses/processes.  He got some crazy money for these sessions, and would routinely use Lego in these brainstorming sessions.  I would assume these sets are targeted to this market. 

Corporations host these types of brainstorming sesssions all the time.  Serious Play seems to me to be a B2B product offering, so Lego can ask (and likely receive) the seemingly outrageouse prices they are charging for these sets.

• Like 1

Pretty sure that's dark blay. The ladders are much lighter and then the arches are even lighter.

Edit: Well, I notice 2 shades of dark in the tackle box looking thing to. Not sure anymore...if they start popping up on ebay cheap then you know hah. If you bought this during double VIP you would pretty much get the lego free if you sell just the masts. 600 + 150 in VIP.

Lego has not made a dark stone version of the lattice yet.  Looking at the picture, I think it is the correct medium stone part used on 10179.

There's been some chatter about it on Bricklink the past couple of days - some folks have found some of the rarer pieces in the Serious Play buckets, so on paper there may be some parting-out profit, but otoh if these start to seep their way from corporate gathering to common market the prices will start to drop on those, so who knows?

Me, not interested in touching them with a 10m pole, but corporations, goverment depts, etc.  will buy anything. What's $750 for a bucket of Lego when they'll buy $30 muffins?

Unless I'm missing it, how does Lego plan on advertising this?

I see legends of chima commercials all the time and stuff, but not for really anything else.

Are they just randomly sending out flyers lol?

Randomly fax businesses! It'll be like those shady vacation deal faxes we keep getting.

Seeing as how Lego has actually advertised a product on their site for almost $800, do you guys think it's possible to finally see a set break the $500 for a regular set??? And actually possibly see the MF piece record be broken???

*crosses fingers*

I don't think Lego will cross the $500 set for a toy or collectible anytime soon. 

That said, if they do the set will not be as large as 10179 or even 10221.  In general, Lego is increasing their prices while maintaining or decreasing the set sizes. 

The Serious Play set should not be used to compare prices with retail toys - it's marketed to a completely different buyer (corporations) with significantly deeper pockets.

I don't think Lego will cross the $500 set for a toy or collectible anytime soon. 

That said, if they do the set will not be as large as 10179 or even 10221.  In general, Lego is increasing their prices while maintaining or decreasing the set sizes. 

The Serious Play set should not be used to compare prices with retail toys - it's marketed to a completely different buyer (corporations) with significantly deeper pockets.

I don't see why they couldn't possibly cross it.  I mean the Death Star has been going for 5+ years at $400 without an end in sight.  And from what I could tell with the MF is that it sold well at the $500.

Sure the Serious Play is for a completely different market, but lego has (what seems anyways) consistantly sold $400 sets.  I'm mostly just being optimistic about it honestly.

Of course one could argue that the market for Serious Play is not big enough.  Then again, it could be a vastly untapped market that Lego thinks it can exploit.