21102 - Minecraft Micro World: The Forest

ericholm

This set has basically turned into a normal one. (Buy low, sell after it is retired.) The previous quick flipping is gone now and the demand is lowering.

Yep very true, I'm waiting to here about EOL rumors for this set before I go purchasing more. That could be a long time from now though as I'm sure even now it is still selling fairly well.

I go pretty often as well to my 2 closest Lego stores and haven't seen it on the shelves either. Nor have I heard from any of the employees that they would be stocking it soon. Doesn't mean it won't pop up soon though, but if it does I'll probably just hold off on buying more of these sets for now.

• 9 months later...

I think a lot of people have piles of the first Minecraft set, 21102.

Maybe it's just my speculation, I sort of feel that it's likely to hit the end...

It has been oos and 'will be shipped on ****' on LEGO Shop at Home a lot lately. Seeing the similar pattern of those modular sets, going in and out of 'will be shipped', makes me suspicious a bit about it. But of course, there are a lot of cases being marked that way but are still around for long time. A lot of us will probably be really happy if it's done. The Village and the Nether are out and the retirement of the first sense sort of make sense. Well, or the reasoning could go in another direction. On the contrary, the recent TRU endless supply of this set, although now it's gone now, makes it harder to believe the set is done. Buy anyway, just pop up a thought, what do you guys think?

• Like 1

I don't believe it is anywhere close to done.  I think the lack of availability is testament to its popularity.  When they are at retail, all 3 sets have been in the top 5 lego sellers on Amazon.  I only ordered 8 more sets from TRU because I figure there will be more deals down the road and I need to recoup from December spending.  It worth having even if it never retires.  The last 2 years there has been a shortage at Christmas time, and it is easy to make $15-20 a set on them if you buy them under $30.

Sort of on topic, Minecraft seems like the only sets I've seen were resellers (SOME. CERTAINLY not all. Just a few bad apples...) actually actually are unethical. Just look at in on Amazon (at least); first time I've seen false MRSPs listed. And almost every sale is one. The worst? The **** who says the Village has an MRSP of $149.99 ( selling it for $51.08...That's right people...Buy now and you save $98.91!)

That (flat out lying) should be banned by Amazon. It's these morons who give resellers a bad name...

BTW; that listing: http://www.amazon.com/Lego-Minecraft-The-Village-21105/dp/B00FG8H93W/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1389458894&sr=8-12&keywords=minecraft+lego

• Like 1

Sort of on topic, Minecraft seems like the only sets I've seen were resellers (SOME. CERTAINLY not all. Just a few bad apples...) actually actually are unethical. Just look at in on Amazon (at least); first time I've seen false MRSPs listed. And almost every sale is one. The worst? The **** who says the Village has an MRSP of $149.99 ( selling it for $51.08...That's right people...Buy now and you save $98.91!)

That (flat out lying) should be banned by Amazon. It's these morons who give resellers a bad name...

BTW; that listing: http://www.amazon.com/Lego-Minecraft-The-Village-21105/dp/B00FG8H93W/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1389458894&sr=8-12&keywords=minecraft+lego

Doubt it as Amazon is doing the same thing. Check out their price for 21102. Original price $49.99, on sale for $34.99

Doubt it as Amazon is doing the same thing. Check out their price for 21102. Original price $49.99, on sale for $34.99

because it's sold by 3rd party now? Not sure how to check Amazon's list price when it's oos

Edit: wow, this is worse. Listed $79.99 by Amazon  lol

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Minecraft-The-Nether-21106/dp/B00EJOCB4G/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1389460401&sr=8-4&keywords=lego+21102

I go back and forth. This set is definitely like printing money, at the same time other sets certainly have been like that too and they have retired those. I hope Lego realizes that retiring sets is what keeps their brand so high. The secondary market is important to their brand as well.

In all reality, I feel like it might have a year left. But I would not hoard too many of these. Minecraft is somewhat of a fad I believe - if it just drops, you are sitting on overpriced sets with really no unique parts worth nothing. Will this happen? I am inclined to say no - but its not out of the question. I keep about 10 in stock all the time. If they hit retiring soon, I would buy 100. But i don't want to get caught with 100 stored up.

I don't think there's any chance this set will retire within the next year or two given the popularity of Minecraft and just how fast these sets sell during the holidays.  On top of that you have such a small set it's cost to produce may be giving it big profit margins, and why would you stop when you have big profit margins on maybe the most popular sets?  Besides this, isn't this the basic foundation set? I could see them producing a different biome or two type set with snow or desert and Endermen etc. included but don't see them phasing out the basic biome anytime soon.  And if by chance they stop producing this set within the next year there have been so many of them sold(thousands and thousands) will there be much profit on the table?

I know a lot of people call Minecraft a fad, but it is only a fad if you call Batman a fad too.  It will rise and fall in popularity, but my older kids and their friends hook up weekly to play, and have been for years.  Minecraft is a gateway to computers and programming for developing teens.  I wouldn't underestimate its popularity at all.  I wouldn't mind being stuck with a 100, but I am putting most of my money elsewhere until closer to Christmas.

• Like 2

I think the first one might retire within the next year or so.  I bet you investors might not be hoarding this as bad as you think.  I know I for one dumped every single Minecraft set I had this Christmas and now I'm rebuilding my stockpile.  If there aren't any signs of 21102 going bye bye during this Christmas season, I'll probably do the same thing.  It's really convenient that Toys R Us had such good sales on the Minecraft sets right after the first of the year.

I think the first one might retire within the next year or so.  I bet you investors might not be hoarding this as bad as you think.  I know I for one dumped every single Minecraft set I had this Christmas and now I'm rebuilding my stockpile.  If there aren't any signs of 21102 going bye bye during this Christmas season, I'll probably do the same thing.  It's really convenient that Toys R Us had such good sales on the Minecraft sets right after the first of the year.

Exactly and this is what I am starting to worry about. I may dump them all during christmas then they are just gone like freakin wolverine. So lucky I still have 15 of them. But I wanted 50.

My strategy now is for every 2 I sell, put one upstairs. lol

Guest TabbyBoy

I've been buying these these on 2x VIP sales for pre-Xmas flipping when Lego runs out. But, I think they'll really mass produce this year. Hence, I'm reluctant to buy more.

The set is a clear money maker, with tremendous popularity; why would they retire it? The only way I`d see that happening is when the new mini fig scale theme is released, and Lego may want to push the focus there, but even that seems unlikely at this point. I`d expect at least another 1-2 years out of it. 

Guest TabbyBoy

Did you get banned as a reseller yet?

Sorry to disappoint you but, NO !!!

Wishful thinking? ;-)

I've been careful since my fallout with Lego and I've only been buying in vast multiples from Supermarkets in the UK that are having silly prices (60-70% off) occasionally that Lego will never match.  I've spoken to a friend that works at Legoland, Windsor and the UK shops don't seem to care how much you buy....... yet!

I also have 10 stored up at any point. The recent TRU sale saw this set gt cleaned out in two days. I bought some then waited thinking I've got time. I snoozed, I lose. Didn't get enough. This set isn't as hoarded as what you all think. People buy this set to play with. The sets I've sold, the buyer opens them in front of me to make sure the pieces are there. When this set retires, you will get an easy double. During Xmas, it was easy selling this at $60 a pop.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I noticed my local Barnes and Noble had a few of these left and had thought you couldn't find these anymore, so I bought a few.

Given I'm newer to investing I was hoping for some advice.

Is this set still worth investing into for the holiday selling time or do you guys think it's been around too long now?

Edited by Phi1316