76405 - Hogwarts Express Collector's Edition

Gonkalin

58 minutes ago, Gonkalin said:

Yeah but the set number is correct for the castle. 10305.

Is that a photo of the box for the 76405 Hogwarts Express? 

No it is my box for the castle. Wondering if someone put a train in a castle shipping box because it seems very unlikely that the train box would have been scanned and shipped. Unless it was intended for a LAN member and somehow got mixed up. 

ETA the guy replied on Reddit that it did not come in a lego shipping box just a plain brown box, and that he lives in NZ wherever that is. 

Edited by Pseudoty

36 minutes ago, keymomachine said:

Dang, this thing is quite nice looking, but it's not railable (hahaha) as its like 10 wide or something. Honestly kind of just glad there is a new thing I don't want to buy.

It looks nice, but at $500 I think it’s a stretch too. I’ll get the castle whenever a good giveaway comes around, but then I think I’m done buying for a while.

I’m actually planning on doing my own free building more often.

yup. another dumb move. what's the percentage of folks who have the space to have a Hogwart's setup up all the time? just going to have the train sitting there?

if they want the detail that a wider train brings, make some wider track and have a different scale? surely a few pieces of track ends up costing less than 1000 pieces for some display track. or just make it a wider train, but make it run on standard track? idk, i'm not a MOC train builder. but i do love trains and they should run with, at the very least, an optional engine.

but, this is also the same company that tried to revive the expert train line with the Crocodile. so unlikely.

Edited by MotorCityMuscle

So 2 updates. First, some are reporting that multiple people in NZ got the train instead of the castle, but it may just be the same pics going around. 

Second, the guy posted an update and there is no surprise box like in Diagon Alley. Also the 8x16 UCS tile is a sticker not a print as reported by promo bricks. 

New update: My wife returned from her work and opened the box without telling me! Now there's no going back... Soooooo, new photos of the contents are uploaded to the link. 

A. It consists of 45 plastic bags + 2 no numbered bags. 19~45 can be found right away when you open the box, but 1~19 + 2 extra bags + instruction manuals + stickers are in a white smaller box inside. B. It has 4 sets of instruction manuals. 

1 - engine room

2 - cargo

3 - passenger carriage

4 - platform

C. Sticker photo is attached

I'll start assembling but most likely I won't be able to finish the build today. I'll keep you guys updated tomorrow, too!

• Like 1

I don't know if it's worth $500, but it looks impressive.

image.thumb.png.f9543e28f846dd4c263958774228d8ef.png

36 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

it's kinda cool that you can recreate multiple iconic scenes...but there's some serious spoiler alerts needed since certain quotes on the tile pieces basically spoils the ending

The last movie came out 11 years ago.  I think that's plenty of time to give people a chance to prevent being spoiled.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

it's kinda cool that you can recreate multiple iconic scenes...but there's some serious spoiler alerts needed since certain quotes on the tile pieces basically spoils the ending

also that pic from SAH website of the parent and child puts the size of the set into perspective...itsa huuuge

Spoiler alert.

Which one of the signs says, “Snape killed Dumbledore”?

1 hour ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

I don't know if it's worth $500, but it looks impressive.

image.thumb.png.f9543e28f846dd4c263958774228d8ef.png

The last movie came out 11 years ago.  I think that's plenty of time to give people a chance to prevent being spoiled.

you do realize a new generation of potter heads are grown every year as kids start reading the books

...you know...those hand held non-electronic things w/ words 

1 hour ago, spener90 said:

Spoiler alert.

Which one of the signs says, “Snape killed Dumbledore”?

"Dad, why did Harry name his son after Snape?"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gmpirate said:

Is it just me, or does that train just look massive in the pic?

10 stud Vs 6 stud wide. Think about how much bigger the 8 stud Speed Champions are compared to the 6.  I’m not a HP buff but are you going to need 2 more coach cars and a caboose or is this how it appears in the movie? This thing looks like a huge remake of the Emerald Night in red. Excuse the years of dust. 

B425D58E-9E19-47E6-95A7-0310CC16BDE1.jpeg

They should have made this regular train scale w/ 2-3 cars and a better train station. At 6 studs and reduced size per car they could have maybe cut the pieces and price to <$400 accordingly. 

for $500 they will get the die hard HP fans and not much else. Imo they have missed on the last 2 HP D2Cs. First the Owl and books set and now this.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, t_mafia said:

They should have made this regular train scale w/ 2-3 cars and a better train station. At 6 studs and reduced size per car they could have maybe cut the pieces and price to <$400 accordingly. 

for $500 they will get the die hard HP fans and not much else. Imo they have missed on the last 2 HP D2Cs. First the Owl and books set and now this.

Agreed. Or they should have just given us Gringotts Bank with a dragon on top (from HP7), around the 300$ mark. That would have been an almost guaranteed hit. Everyone who owns Diagon Alley would want it, and if the building was modular (either on 32x32 studs or on 32x48 studs like Assembly Square), they could also target that AFOL audience who collect modular buildings.

Edited by Bas92
  • Like 2

• exciter1 changed the title to 76405 - Hogwarts Express Collector's Edition