76405 - Hogwarts Express Collector's Edition

Gonkalin

16 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

you do realize a new generation of potter heads are grown every year as kids start reading the books

...you know...those hand held non-electronic things w/ words 

"Dad, why did Harry name his son after Snape?"

I don't believe Harry's kid's name is that much a of a spoiler.  You're just looking at it as someone that already knows what happens.

• Confused 1

On 8/9/2022 at 11:20 PM, t_mafia said:

They should have made this regular train scale w/ 2-3 cars and a better train station. At 6 studs and reduced size per car they could have maybe cut the pieces and price to <$400 accordingly. 

for $500 they will get the die hard HP fans and not much else. Imo they have missed on the last 2 HP D2Cs. First the Owl and books set and now this.

I think honestly they could have cut the "station" entirely to make the train more impressive.  I actually think the biggest mistake they made was including so many lame mini-figs and not including more of the book 7 epilogue mini figs.  Going for scenes rather one common thread was stupid imo.  I'm an avid HP collector, and own most modern HP sets, and even I'm having a tough time justifying $500 on this one.  Be damned the piece count - It's 100$ too much given what we got.  

• Like 1

I think honestly they could have cut the "station" entirely to make the train more impressive.  I actually think the biggest mistake they made was including so many lame mini-figs and not including more of the book 7 epilogue mini figs.  Going for scenes rather one common thread was stupid imo.  I'm an avid HP collector, and own most modern HP sets, and even I'm having a tough time justifying $500 on this one.  Be damned the piece count - It's 100$ too much given what we got.  
It was probably $400 on July 31. (:

Yay LEGO!

Marcos, the designer is done as well. 

The largest lego store in the world re-opened this week in the UK and it has different areas all based on existing sets except it has a Gringotts so that is the early favorite for next year. I think this it Taddyboy’s home store  

BCF7E128-6B7F-4AA2-A8E3-F50BBD367144.png

Edited by Pseudoty

51 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

Marcos, the designer is done as well. 

The largest lego store in the world re-opened this week in the UK and it has different areas all based on existing sets except it has a Gringotts so that is the early favorite for next year. I think this it Taddyboy’s home store  

BCF7E128-6B7F-4AA2-A8E3-F50BBD367144.png

"Designed to fit..." WHAT????

1 hour ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

"Designed to fit..." WHAT????

This is the most authentic and accurate LEGO version of the Hogwarts Express we’ve created to date. It was designed to fit approximately the scale of 1:32, to accommodate the rich level of detail (both inside and out!), while standing naturally next to our minifigures without haunting them with its impressive size! It has plenty of little things to be discovered, especially on the inside of the passenger car, and comes with not 1, not 2, but 3 light bricks!! 😂 I hope you’ll enjoy building and discovering this beauty if you ever get a chance!

This model was only made possible with the hard work and love of many of my colleagues, but I must name some of those that worked closer to me: Helene Desprets, Kerstin Bannert and Michelle Martinsen (packaging, communication and marketing), Patricia Andersen and Jeppe Mohr (project management), Peter Kjærgaard (graphic design), Jakob Nielsen (element design), Jette Storm (production masterdata), Michael Madsen (building instructions), Monika Fruergaard (model coaching) and finally Andrew Seenan, the new Design Lead, that got the final design through the approval process with our IP partners at Warner Brothers. We did it! 🥰

Coming soon on August 31st!

• Like 1

On 8/10/2022 at 2:03 AM, Bas92 said:

Agreed. Or they should have just given us Gringotts Bank with a dragon on top (from HP7), around the 300$ mark. That would have been an almost guaranteed hit. Everyone who owns Diagon Alley would want it, and if the building was modular (either on 32x32 studs or on 32x48 studs like Assembly Square), they could also target that AFOL audience who collect modular buildings.

Yeah absolutely. There are a ton of sets they could have done over this. Could have been swapped for Gringotts, a larger Ministry of Magic, an addition to the microscale castle, or tons of other stuff.

11 hours ago, t_mafia said:

Yeah absolutely. There are a ton of sets they could have done over this. Could have been swapped for Gringotts, a larger Ministry of Magic, an addition to the microscale castle, or tons of other stuff.

Tells you what the audience is. Gringotts, MoM etc would be 2nd or 3rd sets. The train will be appealing to first time customers and well-off parents looking for a big present. I

• Like 1

I'm a train fan and a HP fan and certainly not planning on buying this set unless it's offered at a deep discount.

I think this one will be a flop. IMO the biggest miss here was not making it compatible with current Lego train system. An 'Emerald Knight 2.0' would have done well...

But perhaps mighty Lego felt it that this approach would be too similar to the current HP train. Not 'epic' enough.

26 minutes ago, eliminator said:

I'm a train fan and a HP fan and certainly not planning on buying this set unless it's offered at a deep discount.

I think this one will be a flop. IMO the biggest miss here was not making it compatible with current Lego train system. An 'Emerald Knight 2.0' would have done well...

But perhaps mighty Lego felt it that this approach would be too similar to the current HP train. Not 'epic' enough.

go big or go home is a popular phrase for a reason.

This set is a popular IP (HP); popular theme (Trains), and iconic...and it's freakin the biggest train ever offered by LEGO

it will do fine as I think there are very few examples where LEGO priced a set too high causing it to flop...if it's big enough the big wallets come out.

I do generally agree w/ the negative sentiment expressed in this thread...but I think we represent a very niche perspective when it comes to judging how many will perceive a set.

1 hour ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

it will do fine as I think there are very few examples where LEGO priced a set too high causing it to flop...if it's big enough the big wallets come out.

Few for sure....currently 40% off Camp Nou... but I agree, HP carries a different aura when paired with Trains.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/camp-nou-fc-barcelona-10284?CMP=AFC-AffiliateUS-oSv/vWYkQIY-2014326-115554-10284

As a huge Lego train fan I will say I am super disappointed and not interested in this set at all. For perspective I have every train set from the 10020 Santa Fe era to present, multiples of some, even built two custom 10133 with the yellow and orange swapped(took years of sourcing parts) and many train based city sets including the shed 10027 etc, and yes I know these numbers from memory. So ya I’ve spent some money on trains. I believe most train fans like that they can all be displayed or run together and fit in with standard city sized sets and modular buildings to build large displays and functioning railroads. This set offers little to train fans like myself so unless HP fans are just itching for a huge out of proportion to all other HP sets, train to display it will flop at its price point. It won’t fit in with any other HP village or Hogwarts sets at its scale and the price seems really high, and only 1 carriage whats that. And that steam engine-wheel integration of a couple technic pieces looks like a pathetic afterthought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

5 hours ago, junkrigger said:

As a huge Lego train fan I will say I am super disappointed and not interested in this set at all. For perspective I have every train set from the 10020 Santa Fe era to present, multiples of some, even built two custom 10133 with the yellow and orange swapped(took years of sourcing parts) and many train based city sets including the shed 10027 etc, and yes I know these numbers from memory. So ya I’ve spent some money on trains. I believe most train fans like that they can all be displayed or run together and fit in with standard city sized sets and modular buildings to build large displays and functioning railroads. This set offers little to train fans like myself so unless HP fans are just itching for a huge out of proportion to all other HP sets, train to display it will flop at its price point. It won’t fit in with any other HP village or Hogwarts sets at its scale and the price seems really high, and only 1 carriage whats that. And that steam engine-wheel integration of a couple technic pieces looks like a pathetic afterthought.

well in contrast...an iconic train for a popular IP that DID fit and run on standard LEGO tracks...flopped mightily (retired <1 year)

So maybe LEGO thought OK...THAT didn't work...let's just go BIG for the IP fanatics and screw the train folks

7 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

well in contrast...an iconic train for a popular IP that DID fit and run on standard LEGO tracks...flopped mightily (retired <1 year)

So maybe LEGO thought OK...THAT didn't work...let's just go BIG for the IP fanatics and screw the train folks

And that had an actual decent train station too.

That particular set appears to be doing decently post retirement.

Yes maybe trains are just a theme Lego doesn’t care much about anymore. Every set since Maersk has been pretty poorly executed. Horizon was kinda ok if 2 were put together. Disney wasn’t a great train or station and crocodile was pathetic with terrible color choice.

• Sad 1

Saw the UK listing for the set and nearly morning coffee everywhere when i saw the price of £429.99 😱 and that's probably going up on its release. 

I looked at Ninjago city Gardens, more pieces similar fig count and not that far short of £200 cheaper. 

And I thought hmm HP licence fee tax. But diagon alley is similar fig count and 300+ more pieces - but is nearly a £100 cheaper. 

Sod. Off. Lego.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Tomorrow is the signing event at Leicester Square between 5-6PM UK time. There will be no GWP with the purchase. 2 Units per customer. Will be surprised to see gatherings around.
LEGO UK already in internal memo is reporting that Lion Knight's Castle is a tough sell. Post GWP period 10305 sales almost dried up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

Surprisingly Limit 3 you can load up early or buy enough to build a proper train and station. 

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/hogwarts-express-collectors-edition-76405

It was 2 at 8AM UK time, then increased to 3 at 10 and increased to 5ppc around 1PM UK time.

It's the newest turkey in Lego Collection.
Not a single unit sold on ebay.co.uk as well which used to be a quiet a ritual in the past that some overpriced sets were shifted on the day one on ebay.co.uk - nothing today. Not a single box.
Interest on this set dried up quickly after the price announcement. 

• exciter1 changed the title to 76405 - Hogwarts Express Collector's Edition