It's coming...

pickleboy

...the internet tax is right around the corner. I http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_BUDGET_BATTLE_INTERNET_SALES_TAX?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-03-22-20-13-33 ...these clowns have no idea how to solve any problem without throwing money at it. (Which creates more problems.) (While I am not sure the details of the this exact piece of s#$t legislation, rumor has it they will only tax those who sell over 1 million dollars in revenue? IDK but I HAAAATE Washington...what a bunch of clowns.)

So I should edit my previous comment but I did find this... We are all good to go...nothing to see here...no worries...just if you are going to make a million, you better make a lot more than a million... "Online businesses with less than $1 million in annual sales would be exempted from having to collect the levies." Sooooo here is the new question....Does the internet sales tax on other retailers give us small resellers an advantage? Will this allow our prices to be even lower than the stores since they have the on-line tax mark up?

So I should edit my previous comment but I did find this... We are all good to go...nothing to see here...no worries...just if you are going to make a million, you better make a lot more than a million...

"Online businesses with less than $1 million in annual sales would be exempted from having to collect the levies."

Sooooo here is the new question....Does the internet sales tax on other retailers give us small resellers an advantage? Will this allow our prices to be even lower than the stores since they have the on-line tax mark up?

Won't these big retailers charge tax now because they qualify and want to pass it on to the buyer?

I'm sorry... am I the only one who is pro-tax for online purchases? First let me say, I live in Texas. As such I have had to pay taxes on 90% of my online purchases over the years as Quite a few business not only have warehouses in Texas, but I bet you would be surprised how many are headquartered here in DFW (Las Conlinas actually) and have to declare Nexus here in the Lone Star State. Anyway.... In my humble opinion online taxes are a good thing for local commerce. If we continually shift the competitive edge to low-cost e-commerce businesses with almost no overhead, we are going to continue to hurt the small business owners. I have a good friend that opened a comic shop 5 years ago and fortunately is doing well. But over that time he has created jobs, supported his local community, created customers, and been a positive role model for future small business owners. Why should an online shop that had done zero of those things be more competitive than him? Think of all the Brick and Mortars that would love to re-establish their competitive edge. Best Buy is failing guys. I know people who went in to try products at BB, and then made their purchase online. The kicker is they went in and asked for advice on their computer build from the Best Buy employees. Well if BB goes out of business where do you think you're going to be able to go to try out a product before you buy? And as far as I'm concerned, you also can't have some states charge state tax for online purchases and not others.... it will create competitive gaps for sure. Just for the record I make the majority of my purchases through Target instead of Amazon. I already pay taxes for Amazon orders, and at least with Target I can use my Red Card and have the price match. TLDR: I don't want to make anyone too peaved at me, but I say bring on sales taxes, and bring the competitive edge back to Brick and Mortars.

I'm sorry... am I the only one who is pro-tax for online purchases?

I'm with you on this as well, and I'm also in Texas.

Everyone wants the benefits of living in the US but no one wants to pay for it. Hearing everyone whine about it these last fews years is getting old.

If anyone's interested, here's how the federal tax rates have changed over the years: http://taxfoundation.org/sites/taxfoundation.org/files/docs/fed_rates_history_nominal_1913_2013_0.pdf

We actually live in a very good time as far as federal tax rates go....

You do make sense of the whole thing, dakotahorn. This could bring back a competitive edge to Bricks & Mortar stores. I already pretty much given up on any online spending unless the item was not available at all in any store, just because the cost for shipping & handling seemed to get out of hand and made the purchase not worth the hassle. For me, this internet sales tax will be the closer on online spending. Unless the item or items are heavily discounted and from a reputable seller/distributer, I simply can't afford online spending sprees anymore.

Just read in Business Weekly that Amazon will be collecting sales tax in New Jersey beginning in 2014. Sorry Ed and Jeff :( the same article said they plan on having their same day delivery service in place by then. EBay is said to have something similar in he works.

Cannot wait for this to happen really... another step (after shipping costs increase) towards bringing balance in US to rest of the world in investing in LEGO :)

i cannot wait for this really as bad as it can make me look on forums :P