What was the first thing you built with Lego from your own imagination?

gefmayhem

I can remember my dad showing me how to interlock bricks so my walls wouldn't fall down when building houses and garages. But I was a huge fan of Thunderbirds in the 1960's and can remember making a reasonable Zero-X from the Thunderbirds Are Go film. The small shuttle part and the lifting wings were detachable from the main body - and it used to creash spectacularly just like in the film.

None taken - you young wippersnapper youth of today don't know they're born - have it way too easy. When I was a child they didn't have proper Lego sets, just bricks, and windows, and little cars that looked like cars. That I used to have, and broke - sob One of these days I'm going to make a good Zero-X Lego model, just for the pleasure of it!

I can remember my dad showing me how to interlock bricks so my walls wouldn't fall down when building houses and garages.

But I was a huge fan of Thunderbirds in the 1960's and can remember making a reasonable Zero-X from the Thunderbirds Are Go film.

The small shuttle part and the lifting wings were detachable from the main body - and it used to creash spectacularly just like in the film.

I loved the Thunderbirds and all the vehicles. I was a huge fan of STAR BLAZERS. I wish I had a photo of a ship I built around 9-10 years old. It was all color coordinated, with opening doors, mini vehicles stored inside, missle compartments, shock cannons, command center...Cool stuff.

The first thing I built on my own was a Lego house out of red, yellow, blue, and white bricks. It was pretty ugly, but I loved it and kept making it bigger and bigger until I eventually gave up on it. Shortly after I discovered the Western theme sets in the mid 90's and began collecting and building those.

Dang, you expect me to remember THAT far back?! Ha ha ha.

Let's see, the first real MOC I remember was I used all those yellow bricks (& then some) from the original LEGO castle to build a simple (and square) shopping center. It had three checkouts, some shelves, a bunch of tools stuffed into a corner, even had a little marque that read LEGOMART.

The other one I remember was a build inspired by Majisto's Magical Workshop. I mostly used just about everything that came with the set to create a mini rock fort....thingy that used those hinge bricks to open and close up like a storybook. Pretty small with cramped quarters, but still had a lot of fun with it. Majisto the Magician was one of my favorite characters, and the Dragon Knight was pretty cool too.

One of my other early creations was a cable car. I persuaded my dad to let me have a very long length of rope (its possible I didn't tell him why) Attached one end to the handle of my sisters bedroom window. The other end was tied to the fence at the bottom of the garden - it was a big garden. I know my parents were sitting at the back door having a cuppa and I thought they'd be very impressed with my cable car travelling down the length of the garden. I set it up and let it go. It probably travelled just enough to clear the window sill then came apart. It crashed to the ground between my parents seats - cuppas went flying, I got into trouble and the rope was removed. This would have been early 70's before technics or anything useful that would have held it all together

That is hilarious! I am amazed at how dumb some of my ideas where when I was a kid. I could honestly feel the stupid chemical start to work in my brain and then I'd do something like that. I built tons of really random things but the first thing I built that was really MOC level was the Palace from Aladdin. This is why I will not ever buy the Taj Mahal, I built a better version of the freakin thing when I was 9! Mine had gardens and pools and had those brilliant red and gold colors contrasting beautifully with the white.