Site Complaints

I noticed on Hoth Bricks that there was a little write-up on Brickpicker and that some of the users have responded in what appears to be a negative fashion. I can't read the write-up or the complaints (sure I could copy and paste everything into a translation site, but what fun would that be?) so I was wondering if I could get a little synopsis. Thanks!

No complaints, there are just LEGO fans that don't like the idea of using LEGO to make money, they are true builders and that's great. I responded on there to try and explain a little more about our site. The owner of the site is very nice and I appreciate their writeup, it was a nice surprise this morning. Our site is a little different than everyone else's. Our focus is different than just building and showing MOCs which we still do love like everyone else. The overall response though has been fantastic.

From what I understand, the creator of www.HothBricks.com likes our site and did a nice article on us. Some of the Hoth Bricks members are against LEGO investing and speculation and find that Brickpicker promotes this idea. This idea is something we have encountered since launch. It is par for the course as they say. New sites and new ideas in general meet with some negative feedback. The more I read and interact with LEGO fans, the more I realize there are as many types of LEGO fans as there are LEGO brick types. Everybody wants something different from LEGO bricks and sets and we have our own niche. We are not Brickset or Bricklink...we are a price guide at heart, with various comparison tools and investing ideas thrown in. We are here to help the novice LEGO fan or the expert, with useful data and features. Some fans think we promote speculation and they have the right to feel that way. Jeff and I on the other hand, think we try to minimize what people spend on LEGO sets. If an uneducated(or even an educated one) LEGO buyer just took a couple of seconds to look up a set on BrickPicker, they could see what the current average sales price is and what they ';should' spend and several different buying options from various LEGO marketplaces. Is the data we provide 100% accurate...NO, but it is close enough to give the LEGO fan an idea of current prices. With the help of BrickPicker members and the continuing monthly updates and changes we make, the data we provide is becoming more accurate. Although there is an investment side of our site, it is not the only part. Our wish is that there is at least one thing that every LEGO likes about the site. It might not be the investment part of the site. Maybe they like the LEGO news feed or the BRICKFOLIO. Maybe it's the SET COMPARATOR or the EBAY TOP SOLD SETS. Whatever it is, the negativity over time will decrease. That is, as long as Jeff and I continue to put an effort into giving LEGO fans quality data and interesting topics to read, which we plan on doing...

I noticed on Hoth Bricks that there was a little write-up on Brickpicker and that some of the users have responded in what appears to be a negative fashion. I can't read the write-up or the complaints (sure I could copy and paste everything into a translation site, but what fun would that be?) so I was wondering if I could get a little synopsis. Thanks!

There is a translator on top left hand corner on the www.Hothbricks.com site.

The Hoth Bricks site looks well done and the article was well written and true. I just get the impression that some members on that site and others live in a Lego La La Land. They just want to build with Lego and don't realize its potential as a commodity. They are so afraid of resellers and auction sites as if they are going to be unable to acquire Lego bricks in the future because of sites like Brickpicker. Very silly.

The Hoth Bricks site looks well done and the article was well written and true. I just get the impression that some members on that site and others live in a Lego La La Land. They just want to build with Lego and don't realize its potential as a commodity. They are so afraid of resellers and auction sites as if they are going to be unable to acquire Lego bricks in the future because of sites like Brickpicker. Very silly.

"LEGO LA LA LAND" is a term I can relate to. It is a shame that some "elitist" adults act like children when discussing LEGO bricks. They believe that these toys were designed for them alone and that unless you are building MOCs with them, you are breaking some kind of secret covenant. The term "investment" and LEGO in the same sentence is the ultimate sacrilege. They should appreciate the fact that their collection is worth more money because of the secondary market.

Another thing these LEGO investment "haters" fail to realize is that LEGO does not raise prices because of what Robbie Reseller does in the secondary market. LEGO sets have and will continue to be expensive and what happens on EBAY, Bricklink and sites like this one will not affect new set prices. Cheers.