Ed Mack

57 members have voted

1. 1. How high can the Zombies 9765 Go?

• Its Done Growing
    • $200
    • $250
    • $300
    • Can't stop it, its growth is undead!

interesting note on this set - maybe this already a known thing. While doing a full piece count I noticed my zombie bride hair was dark brown, not the tan that is specified in the instructions. After a little research - this is the only set that has that hair/headpiece in tan color. I emailed Lego about acquiring it and that hair style is not available in tan any longer. There are none for sale on bricklink either. Guess that makes a sealed set all that more desirable, as many opened sets like mine could of mixed up the hair color with others, sold on ebay, or maybe lost. 

decided to keep mine. new strategy is to buy two of everything and keep one mint version stored just in case it turns out to be highly valued kit. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

anyone know where one might find a killer deal on the zombies? 

Bricklink it.

I'm doing that.  Almost the entire set can be had cheap.  There's only a couple parts that are expensive.  There's a zombie "crystal" that you can replace with something that's a lot cheaper.  The bride and groom are the other two pieces that are expensive.  If you can live without them, then you'll be fine.  Otherwise, you'll be paying for them.

Bricklink it.

I'm doing that.  Almost the entire set can be had cheap.  There's only a couple parts that are expensive.  There's a zombie "crystal" that you can replace with something that's a lot cheaper.  The bride and groom are the other two pieces that are expensive.  If you can live without them, then you'll be fine.  Otherwise, you'll be paying for them.

do you have a list of all the parts that i can upload to bricklink? 

Piece by piece.  I printed the set inventory off of Bricklink.  Pulled from my bulk lots.  And bought the rest.

I'm just missing two pieces right now (along with the aforementioned crystal, bride, and groom), and it's ready to start building.  It's actually for my wife's Halloween Town.  She's excited to start on it.

The inventory is here.

The priciest parts are:

Trans-Dark Pink Rock 1 x 2 Crystal Stepped with Minifig Arm Digging through Black Dirt Moonstone Pattern - only 2 sellers, at $5 and $8, both non-US.

Any of the ones in this series are a good alternative, but I think I went with Rock 1 x 2 Crystal Stepped with Dark Green Swamp Gas Moonstone Pattern because there are lots of sellers under 25 cents each.

Zombie Bride is between $35 and $47 each.

Zombie Groom is better at $7 to $15 each.

Like I said before, since this is for my own personal build, I didn't care about the bride and groom (I've got tons of Halloween characters), and I didn't care about the crystal.  So, I replaced the crystal and just pulled together everything else.  It was pretty inexpensive that way.

Piece by piece.  I printed the set inventory off of Bricklink.  Pulled from my bulk lots.  And bought the rest.

I'm just missing two pieces right now (along with the aforementioned crystal, bride, and groom), and it's ready to start building.  It's actually for my wife's Halloween Town.  She's excited to start on it.

The inventory is here.

The priciest parts are:

Trans-Dark Pink Rock 1 x 2 Crystal Stepped with Minifig Arm Digging through Black Dirt Moonstone Pattern - only 2 sellers, at $5 and $8, both non-US.

Any of the ones in this series are a good alternative, but I think I went with Rock 1 x 2 Crystal Stepped with Dark Green Swamp Gas Moonstone Pattern because there are lots of sellers under 25 cents each.

Zombie Bride is between $35 and $47 each.

Zombie Groom is better at $7 to $15 each.

Like I said before, since this is for my own personal build, I didn't care about the bride and groom (I've got tons of Halloween characters), and I didn't care about the crystal.  So, I replaced the crystal and just pulled together everything else.  It was pretty inexpensive that way.

that is awesome, how much do you think the entire set (except for those expensive parts) will cost if i go piece by piece?

there are some unique parts, like the cattle catcher that I dont have, but its all good, if i did it correctly, aside from parts that were not available at the store, it would cost me 35$ without the minis and some of the special pieces, i am gonna look at the instructions and see what parts of it all i dont need (maybe the car, i dont know) and see what i can do, thanks for all the help everyone!

• Like 1

The zombie bride hair is the most expensive piece  

Oh, yeah, that's right, thanks for pointing that out.  I always forget to part out the minis, I just think of them as a whole piece.  But if you can do with that particular hair, you're better off.

I wanted the Zombie set for the coffins/tomb.  I don't even car about the car (but I do have the pieces).  If it's for your own personal build, then it's what works/doesn't work for you.

$35 is a much better price than $120+.

Generally, if you go piece by piece, you may as well buy it.. People part out sets for a reason, it makes more money in the long run.. 

true in most cases.  luckily, 9465 doesn't have many "special" parts. 

i did pickup the bride (correct hair) and groom 3 weeks ago from amazon.  believe it or not but the bride's price there was cheaper than anything on bricklink.

• 3 weeks later...

I was just looking at one of my last copies of 9465 and it finally hit me.  This may well be the last true sleeper hit.  The one set no-one cared about until all of the sudden it disappeared from the shelves.  The one with potential to reach 6x MSRP after retirement.

It seems that nowadays everything is tracked, monitored, and stockpiled.  If one is not, just one mention on BP and it becomes one.  Plus, any sign of shortage and everyone just cannot wait to undercut everyone else.  The competition is just getting too fierce.  

This NOT a rant, just a mere observation.  Although, it is time to re-asses and adjust ;)

I was just looking at one of my last copies of 9465 and it finally hit me.  This may well be the last true sleeper hit.  The one set no-one cared about until all of the sudden it disappeared from the shelves.  The one with potential to reach 6x MSRP after retirement.

It seems that nowadays everything is tracked, monitored, and stockpiled.  If one is not, just one mention on BP and it becomes one.  Plus, any sign of shortage and everyone just cannot wait to undercut everyone else.  The competition is just getting too fierce.  

This NOT a rant, just a mere observation.  Although, it is time to re-asses and adjust ;)

That's why the experienced investor's are stocking up on Chima.

• Like 1

I agree with most of this, although I don't think it means it is the last of the sleeper hits completely. All they need to do is introduce another set that they retire after a very quick timeframe and you'll have the same situation. Zombies wasn't even out long enough for people to stockpile really. Could happen with another set that disappears quickly before anyone is watching it. I agree at things being competitive though. :-)