LEGO SET EOL/RETIREMENT PREDICTIONS:

On the heels of timinchicago's article about EOL(End Of LIne) or in layman's terms, the date a LEGO set is retired, I figured now would be a good time to ask the BrickPicker community what LEGO sets will be the next to be discontinued?

My guess would be the 10217 DIAGON ALLEY. The set is being discounted and the Harry Potter theme is being discontinued. What's your guess?

10214 Tower Bridge is coming up on two years and I was told by a LEGO store employee to expect it to be EOL by the end of the year. Makes sense since it would coincide with the release of their next exclusive 10228 The Haunted House.

I would agree with this.

Looks like Minecraft is gone for good too. "Sold out" on LEGO Shop at Home and the operator told me that it was a limited quatity set with no plans to produce more. As always take what you hear from the LEGO Shop at Home reps with a huge grain of salt but given that it was a CUUSOO set it could very well be gone.

Looks like Minecraft is gone for good too. "Sold out" on S@H and the operator told me that it was a limited quatity set with no plans to produce more. As always take what you hear from the S@H reps with a huge grain of salt but given that it was a CUUSOO set it could very well be gone.

Rumor has it that it's finished, but who knows? Toys 'R US still has them.

LEGO Minecraft still available at TRU!

Not as cheap as LEGO, but not as expensive as Amazon or other listings on EBAY.

Rumor has it that it's finished, but who knows? Toys 'R US still has them.

LEGO Minecraft still available at TRU!

Not as cheap as LEGO, but not as expensive as Amazon or other listings on EBAY.

Several rumors are flying around. First it was believed that only 10,000 sets were created and the set was sold out in the US. Now it is possible that there will be more sets made available by LEGO according to the newest rumors. Only time will tell.

• 3 weeks later...

How about Brickpicker running a competition (maybe a small set, or perhaps 50 Brickpicker points) for the closest-to-the-date that 10188 finally disappears from the LEGO site? If there is ever a set with no EOL on the horizon, then this must be it! However, if this set is funding the development of further Star Wars sets then maybe its not such a bad thing that it keeps on running....

How about Brickpicker running a competition (maybe a small set, or perhaps 50 Brickpicker points) for the closest-to-the-date that 10188 finally disappears from the LEGO site? If there is ever a set with no EOL on the horizon, then this must be it! However, if this set is funding the development of further Star Wars sets then maybe its not such a bad thing that it keeps on running....

I'm all up for a contest and we could donate a STAR WARS mini set to the winner. The only issue is figuring the exact date the 10188 Death Star goes EOL.

You just might be holding onto that mini-set for a while yet...LOL. Not sure how we would agree on the "date" as the US LEGO site generally shows unavailability first, followed by the UK-based site...and so on. Perhaps we should measure it when all the LEGO sites return one of those annoying "Item Not Found" pop-ups? An official "Discontinued" announcement from LEGO? Anyone got other ideas? I reckon LEGO has done rather nicely out of 10188, it might be fairly high in terms of price, but they must still be shifting what they produce. And with all those minifigs it is a rather attractive proposition for any investor to buy.

You just might be holding onto that mini-set for a while yet...LOL.

Not sure how we would agree on the "date" as the US LEGO site generally shows unavailability first, followed by the UK-based site...and so on. Perhaps we should measure it when all the LEGO sites return one of those annoying "Item Not Found" pop-ups? An official "Discontinued" announcement from LEGO? Anyone got other ideas?

I reckon LEGO has done rather nicely out of 10188, it might be fairly high in terms of price, but they must still be shifting what they produce. And with all those minifigs it is a rather attractive proposition for any investor to buy.

Well, we are willing to donate some of my "collection" if we can come up with a solid EOL date. I like your idea about the annoying LEGO "Item Not Found." Jeff and I will talk about it. If anybody has some suggestions, feel free to share them.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think you have to rush to get Diagon Alley. I think it will still be available after the rest of the Harry Potter line is gone.

You never know. These things change quickly. Look at the recent CUUSOO sets. In stock, out of stock, in, out, in, and now out. One day, it will be out permanently and all us prognosticators will be wrong. ;)

I don't think you have to rush to get Diagon Alley. I think it will still be available after the rest of the Harry Potter line is gone.

A helpful LEGO customer services person told me Diagon Alley would be finished by Christmas, no plans to continue it into the new year (ie 2013). Interestingly he said that Fire station 10197 would be continued next year. Perhaps this is the Death Star of the modular buildings? ie good price and popular enough to keep on the shelves.

Update - I called a few weeks later and spoke to someone else about EOL and he told me that they are not allowed to tell customers this information. So it depends on who you speak to.

A helpful LEGO customer services person told me Diagon Alley would be finished by Christmas, no plans to continue it into the new year (ie 2013). Interestingly he said that Fire station 10197 would be continued next year. Perhaps this is the Death Star of the modular buildings? ie good price and popular enough to keep on the shelves.

Update - I called a few weeks later and spoke to someone else about EOL and he told me that they are not allowed to tell customers this information. So it depends on who you speak to.

I think the Harry Potter sets are making their slow trek to retirement. It looks like LEGO, Amazon and the rest are starting to discount some of the lesser HP sets. The 10217 Diagon Alley will be one of those sets you'd wished you bought, but didn't. That set should see some nice gains in the near future IMO.

I think the Harry Potter sets are making their slow trek to retirement. It looks like LEGO, Amazon and the rest are starting to discount some of the lesser HP sets. The 10217 Diagon Alley will be one of those sets you'd wished you bought, but didn't. That set should see some nice gains in the near future IMO.

I have been watching these HP sets from the fence, but I think I might jump in on Diagon Alley and some of the other sets that I've managed to find over here. I found Hagrid's Hut and Freeing Dobby along with the newer ones like the Knight Bus.