75312 - Slave 1 - Boba Fett's Starship

joneyyy1981

5 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

I tried doing some quick searches (honestly, not super in-depth) trying to find who or what groups were complaining about Boba's ship being named Slave 1.  I can't find anything except SW fans being upset the name was changed.  This seems like an unforced error on the part of Lucasfilm / Disney.

I bet you a $1 Disney has some kind of Diversity & Inclusion Committee that goes down list of every IP they own and makes changes necessary to proactively avoid offending the public

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

I tried doing some quick searches (honestly, not super in-depth) trying to find who or what groups were complaining about Boba's ship being named Slave 1.  I can't find anything except SW fans being upset the name was changed.  This seems like an unforced error on the part of Lucasfilm / Disney.

well we'll never know if there was going to be an outcry if the name was not changed.

it's a damned if you do damned if you don't scenario, imo

these social trends may be cyclic...soon everything will be unnecessarily intentionally controversial just to get rises out of peeps

If it isn't the entertainment industry being insensitive with its "political correctness", it's the tabloid channels and websites reporting on anything & everything labeled as being part of some "woke" agenda bringing others in to join their "rage against the world" anger rant (misery loves company after all).

The name change to the galaxy's most ruthless bounty hunter is uninspiringly generic and was unnecessary. It's the Jabba's Palace set "controversy" from years ago all over again.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

Man, that's a lot of Slaves...um, I mean starships. 

Well think about it this way:  Disney is concerned that your average Costco shopper doesn’t know what Slave 1 is. They’re worried that in the “woke” climate that they’ve helped to create that some shoppers will take offense to seeing the word “slave” printed on a toy box. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://screenrant.com/boba-fett-ship-slave-i-new-name/

·         Bossk and The Hound’s Tooth

·         Boba Fett and Firespray

·         IG-88 and IG-2000

·         Zuckuss and The Mist Hunter

·         Valance Beilert and The Broken Wing

·         Dengar and The Punishing One

I recently parted way with the slave 1 ucs sets I invested in back when they retired.  The mandalorian has definitely helped make the demand skyrocket on boba fett merchandise.  But I think the market will be flooded with Fett toys soon with the Book of Boba Fett.. .so tough to say how that will effect the market. This set is obviously the first one geared towards the future onslought of fett sets. 

11 hours ago, exciter1 said:

What in the holy ****!
https://screenrant.com/boba-fett-ship-slave-i-new-name/

"Firespray" sounds like something you get after eating atomic wings.

How tf would you come up with a name like that? And who approved this? Disney's conference room?:

+"We need a name, anyone have any ideas? No slaves can be involved though."

-"I was thinking Firespray, Dirtthrow or Watertoss."

+"Firespray, that's class, here, have a raise."

Had to be something like that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, elmaslıefendi said:

How tf would you come up with a name like that? And who approved this? Disney's conference room?:

+"We need a name, anyone have any ideas? No slaves can be involved though."

-"I was thinking Firespray, Dirtthrow or Watertoss."

+"Firespray, that's class, here, have a raise."

Had to be something like that.

No way.  Disney is more sophisticated than that.  They have got to have a database full of words deemed as not offensive by their lawyers.  Out of these words they pick ones that are edgy (by Disney's standard), like fire and spray.  (Fire can be dangerous and people get annoyed if you spray them).  Combine the two and voila, they come up with something new and unique but kind of edgy (by Disney's standard).   Another problem solved by advanced technology  !!!

-Seriously, Disney should hire me to write Star Wars or any other sci-fi properties they own- :drag:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

No way.  Disney is more sophisticated than that.  They have got to have a database full of words deemed as not offensive by their lawyers.  Out of these words they pick ones that are edgy (by Disney standard), like fire and spray.  (Fire can be dangerous and people get annoyed if you spray them).  Combine the two and voila, they come up with something new and unique but kind of edgy (by Disney standard).   Another problem solved by advanced technology  !!!

-Seriously, Disney should hire me to write Star Wars or any other sci-fi properties they own- :drag:

Pretty certain any naming convention Disney discusses begins with "We can trademark this, right?" All the rest is virtue signaling.

Funny how Disney is moving away from any talk about slaves or slavery in Star Wars, considering that one of the main reasons Anakin became Vader was because he was a slave along with his mother and the Jedi didn't really appear to have much of a problem with that. Lucas dropped that as a main plot point and just referenced it as backstory, one of the greatest mistakes in terms of storytelling the prequels committed and I'd put this on par with Jar Jar.  https://screenrant.com/star-wars-phantom-menace-slavery-qui-gon-anakin/

• Like 2