75312 - Slave 1 - Boba Fett's Starship

joneyyy1981

Brickfanatics review of the Slave 1 is very positive. For the price point, overall it’s a good effort.
However, for the adult builder the 20th anniversary set will be the one to get. Will be interesting to see how high bc the set will set, knowing that the UCS version will temper further run up in price.

10 minutes ago, Fcbarcelona101 said:

Also, per The Brick Fan, the official name of the set will be “Bobba Fett’s Starship” and not Slave I. Apparently Disney is walking away from the original name so we may have seen the last “Slave I” labeled box ever.

It’s been called a similar name since 1980, but we can call it Slave 1 as long as we want to.

1DB3E8D8-6413-472B-A24D-1090CE170C71.jpeg

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Fcbarcelona101 said:

Also, per The Brick Fan, the official name of the set will be “Bobba Fett’s Starship” and not Slave I. Apparently Disney is walking away from the original name so we may have seen the last “Slave I” labeled box ever.

I should have kept my UCS Slave I.  Future UCS remakes are not going to have that name on the boxes.

That 20th Anniversary version is going to be :money:

• Like 7

As soon as I saw the ship in Mandalorian, I instantly thought there was no way they were going to have "Baby Yoda" and a ship named "Slave I" in the same show.

I suspected a move like this would be coming.

Remember kids, murder is A-OK. The word "slave" is not ok. Disssssneeeeyyyyy...

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

• TheOrcKing changed the title to 75312 - Boba Fett's Starship
  • exciter1 changed the title to 75312 - Slave 1 - Boba Fett's Starship

Great moral lecture from a multi-billion dollar monopolist company that influences children with s**ist & racist images in movies, runs sweat shops in China & uses the most questionable business strategies in the industry.

If any company would know something about enslaving people, it would be this one. Ironic, Disney. Let's talk about the name of a ficticious starship. smh

• Like 2

I personally like the name change. It always felt awkward calling the ship Slave 1 to me. To non star wars fans, they would get so confused at the name......like they would be so confused and ask, "What is Slave 1?". Just my 2 cents.... Obviously each person is free to have their own opinion but I think the name change will help the marketability of the lego set to non star wars fans. As a result I think it's a good thing.

15 minutes ago, cmartin33 said:

It always felt awkward calling the ship Slave 1 to me. 

It does not matter that it felt awkward. The ships name is, and always will be the Slave 1, no matter what somebody's thoughts are on the matter. 

Guess I'll be labeled a deadnamer now...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cmartin33 said:

I personally like the name change. It always felt awkward calling the ship Slave 1 to me. To non star wars fans, they would get so confused at the name......like they would be so confused and ask, "What is Slave 1?". Just my 2 cents.... Obviously each person is free to have their own opinion but I think the name change will help the marketability of the lego set to non star wars fans. As a result I think it's a good thing.

Actually, if you read the lore around Slave 1, the name makes sense.  Slave 1 was one of six prototype prison ships (Slave 2, Slave 3, Slave 4, Slave 5, and Slave 6).  When Jango Fett stole the ship from the prison, he blew up the hanger bay so no one could follow.  Thus he destroyed the other prototypes (the other "Slave" ships).  The name is what it is AND it is literally a one-of-a-kind ship in the universe. 

Of course Disney could retcon the origin of the ship but all the EU material is still there.

There is of course another possibility.  If Favreau and Filoni do actually become in charge of Lucasfilm, they could reinstate the Slave 1 name.  That could cause this new set to become the collector item over and above the other Slave 1 sets.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

Actually, if you read the lore around Slave 1, the name makes sense.  Slave 1 was one of six prototype prison ships (Slave 2, Slave 3, Slave 4, Slave 5, and Slave 6).  When Jango Fett stole the ship from the prison, he blew up the hanger bay so no one could follow.  Thus he destroyed the other prototypes (the other "Slave" ships).  The name is what it is AND it is literally a one-of-a-kind ship in the universe. 

Of course Disney could retcon the origin of the ship but all the EU material is still there.

There is of course another possibility.  If Favreau and Filoni do actually become in charge of Lucasfilm, they could reinstate the Slave 1 name.  That could cause this new set to become the collector item over and above the other Slave 1 sets.

That's great to here. I'm glad there is a backstory to the name that makes sense. The problem is, the majority of buyers don't know this backstory. So from a corporate perspective, the easiest thing to do is change the name. Alternatively, Disney could create another side TV show series that explains the name origin and backstory. But the easier solution is to change the name.

From a business perspective, this is how Disney is thinking.... How many casual Star Wars fans buy Slave 1 toys? How many die-hard star wars fans buy Slave 1 toys? How many clueless parents and grandparents buy Slave 1 toys as gifts? From a numbers perspective, the casual fans and clueless fans probably dwarf the size of the die-hard fans. By changing the name, you are increasing the appeal of the ship to those fans. Yes, you are also decreasing the appeal of the ship to the die-hard fans. But ultimately, this name change will probably increase sales overall due to the numbers mechanic explained above.

It also eliminates any future negative PR that could result.....just imagine a Karen going viral ranting about the name of the LEGO set not being kid-friendly. Yes, this would probably generate more sales but Disney is only about positive PR...they don't like negative PR at all.

Edited by cmartin33
Confused Disney with Lego before edit
  • Like 1

I tried doing some quick searches (honestly, not super in-depth) trying to find who or what groups were complaining about Boba's ship being named Slave 1.  I can't find anything except SW fans being upset the name was changed.  This seems like an unforced error on the part of Lucasfilm / Disney.