Why is it Lego bricks in the UK but Legos in the US?

gefmayhem

I know it is a big deal to TLG as they try to protect their brand, but in the U.S. we add an s onto a noun to indicate it is plural unless someone explains to us that noun is an exception. As children growing up in the U.S. we were outside the sphere of TLG influence and now are unwilling to change. And, when I worked in the financial industry I did spend a considerable amount of time in New York, London and Hong Kong which all involved working with British people and there is a little truth to the cliche of 'stuffy brits' or 'lazy speaking americans'. :-)

Too funny, I just read an article about the new Lego store opening here in Utah and the mall marketing manager and the author of the article both used the term Legos!

The 3,000-square-foot store will open in the fall, between Macy

I am not sure why the word Brick is necessary to say, sort of like saying "this needs washed" instead of "this needs to be washed". Sure there is the proper way to say it, but the proper way never made sense and you can hardly firmly stand behind the English language very well since it such an utternly non-sensical broken language, even if you do follow the rules.

I try to respect the wishes of The LEGO Group and call them LEGO bricks whenever I can, but to be honest, I use the term Legos all the time when speaking. It's an American twist on the term and I'm proud of it and in no way do I think it's degrading to the product.

In defense of American ingenuity, I can say the term "Legos" is much more efficient than "LEGO bricks." Just sayin.'

Agreed. As well, Lego encompasses a lot more parts than actual brick-type parts. There are bricks, plates, tiles, and numerous other classifications of parts -- so calling all Lego elements "bricks" is really not accurate anyway.

To me it's all Lego. Not Lego bricks unless you are using the words Lego and bricks in the same sentence. Definitely not Legos. The first time heard that term was on a Harry Potter podcast and they were talking about the new HP sets. And they kept saying Legos. I remembered thinking these people are weird, they don't know what Lego is called.

I just think its hilarious when people get butt hurt when someone says LEGOS..........who cares?????

I totally agree. On my second day on this site, I used "Legos" instead of "Lego." Someone then posted a 15 sentence response about how bad the term "Legos" is. I just laughed at their response and thought "Who cares?!"