Previous Hobbies/Collections

Maverick2k1

Haven't seen anyone bring up this topic, Im curious about everyone's previous hobbies they had or collections they accumulated. I myself was an avid model train enthusiast, building and collecting HO scale models. I transitioned away from model trains into Lego recently and it's definitely just as enjoyable, even more addicting!

Just means you've been in the LEGO game that long!

It's the truth. My first set was probably the original yellow "Castle" from 1981 that was handed down to me along with the rest of my sisters small collection when I was maybe three or so. I was too young to remember but my mother had said once that she never worried about me choking or anything since I never stuck anything into my mouth like other kids usually do at that age.

I guess you could say, I was born to LEGO!

It's the truth. My first set was probably the original yellow "Castle" from 1981 that was handed down to me along with the rest of my sisters small collection when I was maybe three or so. I was too young to remember but my mother had said once that she never worried about me choking or anything since I never stuck anything into my mouth like other kids usually do at that age.

I guess you could say, I was born to LEGO!

Haha good one. Did you consistently continue collecting or have periods of no Lego? I can't recall my first set but I still have all my western sets from the mid 90's.

Haha good one. Did you consistently continue collecting or have periods of no Lego? I can't recall my first set but I still have all my western sets from the mid 90's.

I have kept every single set I either recieved or bought myself since the first one I put together. I am still a very avid collector and loving it!

I've never really had a "Dark Ages", though I did have some points where I just didn't buy as much but still did every now & then.

Besides two of the Indians sets, I have every WESTERN set LEGO did! Played with my "Fort Legoredo" to death!

If I played with those now, I'd probably recreate scenes from F-Troop. :-)

Haven't seen anyone bring up this topic, Im curious about everyone's previous hobbies they had or collections they accumulated. I myself was an avid model train enthusiast, building and collecting HO scale models. I transitioned away from model trains into Lego recently and it's definitely just as enjoyable, even more addicting!

I still quite actively collect vinyl and gig posters/movie posters (PJ, Mondo, Chuck Sperry, EMEK, etc.). I've been doing it for a couple years and have made a solid go of it. I started by seeing how expensive some items were going for in the secondary market and then tried to grab limited edition or small runs in doubles and triples. It worked really well, so well in fact, that I started thinking about other things I love that have this potential. Lego was a natural fit. I collect and sell what I am interested in and the research, listing, selling and post office trips don't feel like work.

Funnily enough, I am extremely "anti-collections" I don't like collecting things as there is just so much emotion tied into it that deters peoples decisions. For this reason, I will never pay over retail for a past EOL set, even if I love it, I will also often times purposely not get certain sets in a series because I prefer to just get the sets I love and not get caught into the mind game of needing certain sets to go with my "collection". Classic example of this, a friend of mine has an entire Christmas tree of every single halmark star wars ornament ever made, one year, they weren't able to get a certain one in time and it was gone from retail. The next year, they paid $125 for a $25 ornament (which was already highly overpriced IMO) just so the collection would stay complete. Personally, if I were actually into decorating my tree with SW, I would just buy the ornaments I liked and not give a second thought to the ones I don't. My past/current hobbies though have been/are Mini Z RC cars, ***** shooting, building PC's/ case modding and probably a dozen other things over time.

Collected Hard Rock Cafe pilsner glasses and Clint Eastwood movies before this (still do kinda, running out of both to collect and need connections overseas to finish off the Hard Rock stuff for anyone wanting to help, lol).... Kids got me roped into Legos, after putting together the Queen Annes Revenge and Black Pearl one Christmas, it's been downhill ever since. Trying to pull the 5571 Giant Truck away from my younger brother as we speak.

My other hobby as a kid and then later when I was getting done with college up to a few years ago was sports card collecting. I had a pretty large collection that I slowly sold off for around $12,000. Mostly geared towards vintage cards going back to the '50s. A large chunk of that went to starting my "new" Lego collection since my childhood sets had been sold off.

My other hobby as a kid and then later when I was getting done with college up to a few years ago was sports card collecting. I had a pretty large collection that I slowly sold off for around $12,000. Mostly geared towards vintage cards going back to the '50s. A large chunk of that went to starting my "new" Lego collection since my childhood sets had been sold off.

Funny, I used to collect sports cards as well. Ok, just hockey ones. Still have about 6-7k of them boxed up. That was a supplementary hobby to Lego though. I`ve been collecting bricks far longer then sports cards, but it was a phase worth mentioning.

Funny, I used to collect sports cards as well. Ok, just hockey ones. Still have about 6-7k of them boxed up. That was a supplementary hobby to Lego though. I`ve been collecting bricks far longer then sports cards, but it was a phase worth mentioning.

I also collected baseball cards. I don't have near as many as you guys do. (A couple hundred.)

Ahh, yes. I did the McFarlane NFL figs as well... had the first 13 series and a bunch of the special releases and box sets and moving them took up too much room whan I went from DC to LA in a truck so sold them all...... DO still have most of my 70's Star Wars stuff though. Pretty sure my original X-Wing Fighter has about 3,000,000 original miles on it. lol. Did autographed jerseys for a while too, but again to much clutter and closet space, so I kept the 4 I had framed and sold most of those too. Kinda wish I had kept the Marino, Elway and Emmitt Smith ones though.... did keep Jim Kelly, 2 Dennis Rodmans (1 Pistons, 1 Bulls) and perhaps my favorite...a 1998 Randy Moss Preseason rookie #18. Had it signed in June of 1998 before he took the field for his first practice ever in the NFL... League made him switch numbers and he chose 84 as his college #88 at Marshall was retired in Minnesota for Alan Page. Kid did pretty well I would say.