Art MOCs

TheOrcKing

7 hours ago, Bricklectic said:

I've been thinking about making a custom MOC of my family and have a couple of questions.

1) Is round or square tiles preferable? I would have thought square like most custom MOCs I see, but then why did LEgo choose round?

2) What is the part for the large black tile back to lego art sets?

Thanks

Did some more reading. apparently square tiles ARE more preferable for looks but theyre more difficult to align....

I came across this cool website that will spit out directions and part list for any image.

https://lego-art-remix.com/.

and i found a site that sells 1 x1 tiles at 1 cent each (shhhhhh............)  so even a 10,000 piece will only be 100$. not too bad.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 1:29 PM, Bricklectic said:

Technic 16x16x1 brick. Each of the LEGO Art sets include nine.

On 11/11/2021 at 1:29 PM, Bricklectic said:

1) Is round or square tiles preferable? I would have thought square like most custom MOCs I see, but then why did LEgo choose round?

I do not believe there is a preference for round over square or vice versa. Or even flat tiles over open studs. The end result of what you may find more visually pleasing or trying to achieve is up to you.

Using all squares leaves no gaps for a complete almost pixel art style of portrait. The Personalized Mosaic Portrait (40179) is a good example of this. However the limited usage of gray there makes the product look like a very low contrast jpeg file.

On the other hand with rounded plates or tiles allowing a sort of 'pinched star' pattern made from the background pieces gives off a near photo realistic quality while still artistic from a distance. Case in point The Beatles (31198). Also rounded parts are a tad easier to remove or set down than the square variety.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bricklectic said:

I've been thinking about making a custom MOC of my family and have a couple of questions.

Thanks

At least from a cost standpoint, I've noticed when buying from bricklink that 1x1 plates and 1x1 tiles can be considerably more expensive to source in large quantities than 1x1 round plates are.  1x1 round tiles might have come down a little bit over time considering their large quantities in the branded art sets, but i think they're generally still a little pricey.

Would all depend on the colors needed, too, but you will probably be able to find sellers that have thousands of 1x1 round plates for about a cent each.

Another perk is that you can't "mess up" placing round plates/tiles either.  Unintentionally off-square tiles in modulars will skyrocket my OCD.

Probably no coincidence this was done with this way: 

On 6/9/2021 at 1:45 AM, TheOrcKing said:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...