76178 - Daily Bugle

Pseudoty

If anyone is going to their local Lego store to grab this set today can you confirm that the Punisher is not included in the store display model. Seems Lego has photoshopped him out of 3 of the online display pictures but not the box. 

“Everyone is Awesome”

1 minute ago, Pseudoty said:

E1DB33D2-7BD5-48B2-8B55-1978C87DBB06.png

F58F6692-C8EF-4D06-9334-F20FBEA7AAC6.jpeg

5B0CCC78-44AA-4D74-834B-BC7847B93421.jpeg

1 hour ago, Pseudoty said:

If anyone is going to their local Lego store to grab this set today can you confirm that the Punisher is not included in the store display model. Seems Lego has photoshopped him out of 3 of the online display pictures but not the box. 

“Everyone is Awesome”

So is Punisher in the set or not?   I am confused now...

1 minute ago, kouks said:

So is Punisher in the set or not?   I am confused now...

Definitely in the set but it looks like they are attempting to downplay it. No longer in the set description of exclusive MINIFIGURES and allegedly not being included in store display. 

It would take a lot to remove him from the set, instructions, and box art. 

Just now, Pseudoty said:

Definitely in the set but it looks like they are attempting to downplay it. No longer in the set description of exclusive MINIFIGURES and allegedly not being included in store display. 

It would take a lot to remove him from the set, instructions, and box art. 

Thanks!  That is odd.   Punisher was my favourite comic book character as a kid.   I'd like the mini-figure but the set is not quite for me.

8 minutes ago, BricksBrotha said:

Why all of the sudden hate for Punisher? Was this not vested in research group studies before launch? Was there a sudden movement to cancel Punisher? Have I missed something here?!?

I know there was some controversy with the logo being used during the capitol riot.

https://screenrant.com/jon-bernthal-punisher-logo-skull-controversy-response/

Edited by melting

5 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I don't agree with it, but The Punisher is a bad look for Marvel and now LEGO given current sentiments about vigilante-ism (altho almost every super-hero is a vigilante in some form)

ANY chance this set gets "cancelled"...it's obviously HUUUGE for LEGO

So you're saying I should buy the max limit of 2 today? :devil:

Just now, oneknightr said:

So you're saying I should buy the max limit of 2 today? :devil:

I know most peeps are waiting for GWP gravy...

it's a MF bonanza and a win for LEGO on its own merits...IF this one goes cancelled it could make the Osprey look like chump change...and the publicity will take that Punisher MF ...to the moon

12 minutes ago, joneyyy1981 said:

lego-daily-bugle-76178-alle-minifiguren-1.thumb.jpg.100559ea55b8a3b42fb3fbe44d25cb0b.jpg

I don;t see the confusion...clearly included

also listed in the sets specifications on the LEGO Shop at Home webpage:

• 5 minifigures are new to this set – Blade the vampire hunter, J. Jonah Jameson, the owner of the Daily Bugle, Black Cat, Daredevil and Punisher. Also includes Spider-Man’s buggy.

2 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I don;t see the confusion...clearly included

also listed in the sets specifications on the LEGO Shop at Home webpage:

• 5 minifigures are new to this set – Blade the vampire hunter, J. Jonah Jameson, the owner of the Daily Bugle, Black Cat, Daredevil and Punisher. Also includes Spider-Man’s buggy.

Firestar is new too. 

3 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I don't agree with it, but The Punisher is a bad look for Marvel and now LEGO given current sentiments about vigilante-ism (altho almost every super-hero is a vigilante in some form)

ANY chance this set gets "cancelled"...it's obviously HUUUGE for LEGO

Lego sells Darth Vader and the Joker who are both mass murderers. Its just whether they are acceptable mass murderers or not.

Edited by wegj15

7 hours ago, BricksBrotha said:

Why all of the sudden hate for Punisher? Was this not vested in research group studies before launch? Was there a sudden movement to cancel Punisher? Have I missed something here?!?

Ironically I think it's mostly because the Punisher, an anti-establishment vigilante has been sullied by the use of his logo for the "blue lives matter (more than you)" crowd.Screenshot_20210526-155603.thumb.png.e8d2b91ede773430e4aeac69a4e546ce.png

I doubt the Punisher is cancelled because someone wore his logo in the Capitol riot or someone unofficially used the logo for Blue Lives Matter. 

Maybe it's more simple than that, maybe it's because he straight up kills people and is generally considered the "hero".  Of course bad guys kill people, that's what they do, but killing for good isn't an acceptable form of justice I suppose. 

Another difference may be that none of the Punisher media, show or movies, is rated PG-13.  I'm guessing Blade gets a pass because he kills vampires, which are imaginary, and the upcoming movie will most likely get a PG-13 rating.  I'm sure there are exceptions out, but this is my assumption.

I think its the association of the character with recent political events and fringe groups, combined with his general cartoon history. I don't like that they have to hide a character of fiction to appease people who are likely uneducated about the themes of the comics, but I think this is probably the best option for us as consumers/investors. If LEGO keeps their head down, we can get a minifig that we previously relegated to the "bootlegs only" category. 

Hopefully they'll do the same with Moon Knight, although his history is not as well known so might not be necessary depending on the show. 

I find it odd that TLG has 35 photos of this set on it’s website but doesn’t show all the minifigs. Maybe they are all shown if you look close in all the photos. I have not looked that close. But they show 7 or 8 single figures but no group photo of all the minifigs like on the top if the box. The minifigs are probably the main selling point. Why not showcase that more?? Or for those 7 or 8 single minifigs photos they could have done good close ups of 3 minifigs per photo. 

Edited by Gonkalin
  • Like 1