Loki - Disney+

TheOrcKing

On 6/18/2021 at 11:57 AM, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Did I miss something that explains why the time police world is set to Mad Men era?

I read an interview with one of the directors of the show, and they said it was meant to reflect a "retro/futuristic", timeless look, because the TVA doesn't exist in the past or the future. They're also a huge bureaucracy…and if you've ever worked for the government, the drab, nonsensical, institutionalized way of doing things is perfectly portrayed.

After really digging episodes 1 & 2, "Lamentis" was a bit lame…definitely had a filler feel to it. The only interesting revelations are that Loki casually mentions he's bisexual, and Sylvie tells Loki that everyone who works in the TVA is a variant. Other than that, lots of running, chasing, fighting…but no real forward plot development.

Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 3.01.06 PM.png

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lego Lass said:

After really digging episodes 1 & 2, "Lamentis" was a bit lame…definitely had a filler feel to it. The only interesting revelations are that Loki casually mentions he's bisexual, and Sylvie tells Loki that everyone who works in the TVA is a variant. Other than that, lots of running, chasing, fighting…but no real forward plot development.

Agreed. I think it's also an effect of the show throwing A LOT at you during the first 2, and this one really had to slow down and help define how these two might work together (or not).

Also, with the amount of times she mentions enchanting in this episode, I feel its almost safe to say that she's the second Enchantress for sure. It cant be wrong if its on Wikipedia, right? /s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enchantress_(Marvel_Comics)#Sylvie_Lushton

My main gripe with the episode was the guards on the planet. I mean, they must REALLY like their jobs to be still fighting two anonymous deed-doo'ers protecting a ship they cant get on in a world that is ending.

Edited by CosmicSpeed
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lego Lass said:

I take back anything bad I said about Loki…this week's episode is just bonkers. And don't skip the mid-credits scene…it's a game changer.

Suddenly, last week's episode wasn't as much filler as we thought.

I agree.  Bonkers.  Fun.  Sad.  Exciting.

Can't wait for the last two episodes!

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

Who do we meet next week?  I'm placing my bet on Immortus / Nathaniel Richards.  Which will lead to the Fantastic 4 and mutants and ultimately lead to Kang the Conqueror.

So we know Kang is going to be in Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania.  It's been rumored that the city we saw way off in the distance in the Quantum Realm near the end of Ant-Man and the Wasp is the TVA, and that explains why they can travel through time (they use the Quantum Realm).  We don't know if magic works or doesn't work in the Quantum Realm, nor do we know if Infinity Stones work there - we know Scott didn't get snapped, but we don't know if that was just the randomness of the Snap, or because he was in the QR.  We also don't know how Steve made it back from his alternate timeline to the prime timeline (see below); does the QR also allow movement between timelines?  If so, that makes an even stronger case for the TVA to be located there.

I think it's more likely we'll get Kang next week, since the showrunners have said Loki has a more direct tie to future MCU films than the other two series.  Do they do the reveal of Kang in this series?  Or do they leave it for Ant-Man.  Hard to say.  But someone is definitely sitting at the end of time.  The other theory being put out there is that's it's another Loki variant, but that seems too easy.  Also remember that Ravanna is the Kang's lover, and be the one in charge of executing his plan.

41 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

Since I consider myself Marvel naive , does this mean the Gamora at the end of Endgame is also a variant ? Take captive by the TVA ? Is that why they couldn’t find her on the scanner ? 

So near as I can figure, technically, yes, she's a variant.  Just like Thanos was in Endgame.  However, TVA is (or was) charged with protecting the "Sacred Timeline" so whatever it is that meets the goals of the TVA is what they allow to stay.  So, if moving back and forth in time like the Avengers did preserved the ultimate goal of the TVA, then they aren't variants, and they're allowed to do it.

So specific to Gamora, if the inclusion of the variant Gamora in the prime timeline doesn't hurt the TVA, then she gets to stay.  Old Man Loki was allowed to stick around for ages on that planet because he didn't interact with anyone, and didn't cause any issues.  As soon as he decided he wanted to get off that planet and go find Thor - well, that was enough that the TVA needed to prune him.

* Regarding Steve - Marvel has said that Steve went to an alternate timeline to live out a life with Peggy.  And that has really bothered me, because I felt that he should have been moving in one timeline; it was too complicated to explain alternate timelines, etc.  I really wanted there to be three Steve's alive during the Battle of New York (Battle of NY Steve, Steve from Endgame, and Old Steve).  But considering how things are being explained in Loki, I'm leaning a lot more toward it being okay that Steve was in an alternate timeline.  Just need the final loose end (imo) of "how did he get back to the prime timeline," which could be answered with the QR theory above.

Some additional commentary about this week's episode - Richard E. Grant was fantastic, and stole the show.  Despite "Loki's never change," he showed us some real change.  I loved his Old Loki, especially in the comic classic uniform.  Loved all the Easter Eggs (Thanos Copter, Throg, Hi-C Ecto Cooler).  The Loki fight was over-the-top fun and made me laugh out loud.

It's going to be a long week, waiting for this finale!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Alpinemaps said:

Some additional commentary about this week's episode - Richard E. Grant was fantastic, and stole the show.  Despite "Loki's never change," he showed us some real change.  I loved his Old Loki, especially in the comic classic uniform.  Loved all the Easter Eggs (Thanos Copter, Throg, Hi-C Ecto Cooler).  The Loki fight was over-the-top fun and made me laugh out loud.

It's going to be a long week, waiting for this finale!

Great recap…and I also thought the Loki brawl was awesome. Can’t wait to see where the finale takes us!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

I think it's more likely we'll get Kang next week, since the showrunners have said Loki has a more direct tie to future MCU films than the other two series.  Do they do the reveal of Kang in this series?  Or do they leave it for Ant-Man.  Hard to say.  But someone is definitely sitting at the end of time.  The other theory being put out there is that's it's another Loki variant, but that seems too easy.  Also remember that Ravanna is the Kang's lover, and be the one in charge of executing his plan.

Kang just seems too obvious since, as you said, Kang is planned for Ant Man and the Wasp sequel.  And from what I've been reading Immortus and Kang's identities are a bit more dependent upon "when".  So we could still end up with both.

Immortus also has a tie directly to the Time Keepers and the Time Turners, which basically replaced the Time Keepers, and sort of imprisoned Immortus at the edge of time.

Another identity of Kang / Immortus is Rama-Tut (Sphinx and Pyramid seen in ep 5).  

Immortus has a role with Wanda and ultimately her children because the Time Keepers are afraid she (or her children) will destroy them, so Immortus was supposed to maintain the timeline to keep them safe. 

Immortus eventually ends up helping the Avengers defeat the Time Keepers / Time Turners and Kang (himself) later on.

Then again, the MCU could just take a short cut in all of this.  After reading and watching a summary of Immortus, he makes the most sense with taking down the Time Keepers.  

Renslayer is connected to Kang, so the Loki series could be used as the launch point for the Ant Man and Wasp movie. 

• Like 2

One other thought occurred to me.  Apparently Wanda's storyline from the comics intertwines with Immortus' quite a bit.  Something about him wanting her to have his children so he can kill the Time Keepers and dominate the universe.

Disney just modified the after credit's scene from Wandavision (when she is in the cabin).  Why do that unless it has a tie into what the MCU is doing moving forward?

• Like 1

Kang just seems too obvious since, as you said, Kang is planned for Ant Man and the Wasp sequel.  And from what I've been reading Immortus and Kang's identities are a bit more dependent upon "when".  So we could still end up with both.
Immortus also has a tie directly to the Time Keepers and the Time Turners, which basically replaced the Time Keepers, and sort of imprisoned Immortus at the edge of time.
Another identity of Kang / Immortus is Rama-Tut (Sphinx and Pyramid seen in ep 5).  
Immortus has a role with Wanda and ultimately her children because the Time Keepers are afraid she (or her children) will destroy them, so Immortus was supposed to maintain the timeline to keep them safe. 
Immortus eventually ends up helping the Avengers defeat the Time Keepers / Time Turners and Kang (himself) later on.
Then again, the MCU could just take a short cut in all of this.  After reading and watching a summary of Immortus, he makes the most sense with taking down the Time Keepers.  
Renslayer is connected to Kang, so the Loki series could be used as the launch point for the Ant Man and Wasp movie. 

Equally as plausible, and just as good an idea.

I’m loving having a weekly dose of MCU. It’s been a great spring/summer.
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Lego Lass said:

Awesome finale…lots of burning questions. But one thing's for sure: Multiverse of Madness, here we come!

200w.webp

Loved the last two episodes. Lots of dialogue in this series, so it probably should have added a couple episodes to mix in some visual storytelling.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, exciter1 said:

Loved the last two episodes. Lots of dialogue in this series, so it probably should have added a couple episodes to mix in some visual storytelling.

I agree, the first 3 episodes (well pretty much all of them) throw SO much information at you, and very quickly. It slows down a bit near the end, much like CA&WS. I believe both that series and LOKI were more written as a movie in the way the pacing is set and overall storytelling, but then broken down into compact episodes. 

The events that happened in CA&WS and even WV seem minor and obsolete after the finale of Season 1 of LOKI; you almost HAVE TO watch this series in order to really understand the multiverse and how it occurs. LOKI writers did a very good job setting up and making it pretty easy to understand "time travel" when it can be a very hard concept to explain.

That said, I have so many questions! In what timeline is Loki in at the end? What is the "original" Mobius up to on the "true" timeline? What it Sylvie going to do now?

• Like 2

Well, the finale moved a little slow for me but fully opened the multi-verse now. It was like... everything we knew was true just became solid canon.

I find it a little bold that MCU would start such a pivotal change to their world in a Disney + show... On one hand I get it, but on the other this can alienate / confuse the average viewer. I guess I am curious to see how Spidey 3 and Strange 2 deal with explanations of multiverse. Do they dive into detail for viewers who didn't watch Loki and repeat for those who know, or do they just assume everyone has seen Loki. Will be really interesting to see that strategy develop for me.

This "version" of Nathaniel Richards was a little odd to me in the dialogue, but it ultimately I think it worked. Definitely cemented the way for Kang or any other version of Richards haha.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scatttcat said:

Well, the finale moved a little slow for me but fully opened the multi-verse now. It was like... everything we knew was true just became solid canon.

I find it a little bold that MCU would start such a pivotal change to their world in a Disney + show... On one hand I get it, but on the other this can alienate / confuse the average viewer. I guess I am curious to see how Spidey 3 and Strange 2 deal with explanations of multiverse. Do they dive into detail for viewers who didn't watch Loki and repeat for those who know, or do they just assume everyone has seen Loki. Will be really interesting to see that strategy develop for me.

This "version" of Nathaniel Richards was a little odd to me in the dialogue, but it ultimately I think it worked. Definitely cemented the way for Kang or any other version of Richards haha.

The confusion to the average viewer is the biggest critique I'm hearing.

• Like 1

I'm kinda pumped they are rewarding the Disney+ subscribers with such amazing content.  Its nice to see actual effort put in the writing for the real/invested fans.  Unlike most of the watered down garbage/repeats/remakes coming out of Tinseltown.

Edited by BricksBrotha
typo