Loki - Disney+

TheOrcKing

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really liked the first episode and the enemy reveal. I feel like this show will be key in setting up the next Dr. Strange movie. Im really hoping we get a "wow" from Mobius at some point. Loki seeing himself go through the events of the timeline he was supposed to live was a really good delve into the Character. Overall, the whole episode felt very meta. The "you messed this up and we dont know where to put you in the timeline, so you need to get reset" and Mobius basically putting Loki through a psychiatric, self-reflection session just really made it for me. Looking forward to the next episodes.

Edited by CosmicSpeed
  • Like 8

20 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Lots to unpack in this.  Really think I'm going to go back and watch it a second time this weekend.  Even reading tons of theories and analysis online over the last two days, my head is still swimming (in a good way).

Yeah, I need to watch it again too. I did watch a couple easter egg breakdown/reviews, so those give me more to look for.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if I'm a fan of Marvel's ongoing introductions of mega reality altering paradigms into their stories. They keep upping the scale.

We can all handle the concept of super beings..that's been around since as long as story telling

Then there were "infinity stones" 

Then a "titan" who snapped a finger and half of all life in the universe blinks outs.  Barely had a chance to understand that before "time travel" that undo some stuff but not all stuff.

And now alternative Universes...and recently the "right" timeline.

Marvel keeps upping the ante in their MCU and honestly all MCU reality is seeming more and more  undermined...I would think audiences may reach a point of simply not caring because apparently all reality is subjective.  AT the heart of every good movie is a good story and that happens when there's good character development...does Marvel really need to keep introducing minding bending paradigms that requires serious mental gymnastics to somehow "make it seem plausible"? 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

You know it's a good show when it feels like the episode ended way too soon.  Our family already likes Loki much better than Bad Batch.  

bad batch is starting out slow the way Clone Wars did...a lot of inconsequential episodes relying on an audience caring about characters that haven't been developed yet (but relies more on their Star Wars-ness)

Loki jumps straight into the heart of plots audiences already consumed and flips them upside down

• Like 1

On 6/11/2021 at 1:33 PM, $20 on joe vs dan said:

bad batch is starting out slow the way Clone Wars did...a lot of inconsequential episodes relying on an audience caring about characters that haven't been developed yet (but relies more on their Star Wars-ness)

Which is why I could never get into Clone Wars or Deep Space Nine for that matter.

8 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

Which is why I could never get into Clone Wars or Deep Space Nine for that matter.

DS9 significantly improved once they added conflict (outside threat via the wormhole).  

My kids found Clone Wars around season 2 or 3.  By that time we were hooked so I guess season one was more barrable and we didn't notice it being as slow.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

I was not planning to post here, but since you mentioned my favorite DS9.  ;)

DS9 season 1 was actually pretty decent.  It was set to establish our main characters while flashing out a little bit of the possible future problems / conflicts.  Some people could not get over how their favorite Captain Picard was shown as a d*ck in episode 1.  But this was not TNG.  DS9 is a perfect blend of exploration, political intrigues, war, race conflicts, religion/spirituality, rebellions, paradoxes, and aliens.  As a good sci-fi series should be.

As for CW season 1, you are right.  Season 1 was a long slow dreck.  If you think Disney pioneered the slow ass chase in space, your are wrong.  CW season 1 did it first :P
I actually could not finish the 1st season.  But season 2&3 were much better, well, after you get used to non-sequential episode structures :D

6 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

I was not planning to post here, but since you mentioned my favorite DS9.  ;)

DS9 season 1 was actually pretty decent.  It was set to establish our main characters while flashing out a little bit of the possible future problems / conflicts.  Some people could not get over how their favorite Captain Picard was shown as a d*ck in episode 1.  But this was not TNG.  DS9 is a perfect blend of exploration, political intrigues, war, race conflicts, religion/spirituality, rebellions, paradoxes, and aliens.  As a good sci-fi series should be.

As for CW season 1, you are right.  Season 1 was a long slow dreck.  If you think Disney pioneered the slow ass chase in space, your are wrong.  CW season 1 did it first :P
I actually could not finish the 1st season.  But season 2&3 were much better, well, after you get used to non-sequential episode structures :D

I’m rewatching them in sequential timeline order and ought now.

On 6/12/2021 at 2:13 PM, Alpinemaps said:

yeah...CW 1st season is bad, but not nearly as bad as Rebels...and don't get me started on 1st season of the recent one w/ BB8...other than not caring enough to remember the name...but that series is unwatchable

I will say Rebels has one of my all time favorite scenes from a cartoon (not jus the action sequence but all the epic -ness of what is going on)...the confrontation/battle between Ahsoka and Darth Vader...but it's only 100% awesome if you put in the time and watch the entire Clone Wars and Rebels series up to that point.

I am going to have to rewatch all of these episodes. The Variant moving between bodies was really, really cool. And the reveal at the end, wow. I haven't done any looking around as for theories yet but the more we keep learning about this whole timekeepers thing makes me think we actually might see these magical lizards. Loki has mentioned them each episode in this manner. That and does this episode really start the madness of the multiverse?

Side note: the Pompeii scene was pretty funny but I was expecting something to happen to Loki the way he was standing out in the open.

6 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Did I miss something that explains why the time police world is set to Mad Men era?

My take, Episode 1 Loki looks at the TV and says “Is this the greatest power in the universe”.  Also kinda ties in with Wandavision.