Imperial Flagship (10210) eBay Advice

Legodog

So I have been looking for an Imperial Flagship (10210) for my own collection for a long time now. As I was browsing eBay I saw one pop up for a $145 buy it now plus $30 shipping. This was an awesome deal so I jumped on it right away. Well I just got a message from the buyer saying he made a mistake in the price and meant to list it higher. Do I try to hold him to that price? Or do I just let him do the refund and relist the item. He did say in his message that if he has no choice and I plan to give him negative feedback then he will ship it. I haven't responded yet and could use some advice. On one hand I really want this set. I have been screwed over on eBay plenty of times by other sellers and I don't want to be the nice guy any more. But on the other hand maybe he did make a mistake and I should let him off the hook. Any advice is appreciated.

Guest idunno101

It depends if he's going to list it at like $275 then drive him lower. Ask him what he plans to relist it to so you have an idea of what you should do.

So I have been looking for an Imperial Flagship (10210) for my own collection for a long time now. As I was browsing eBay I saw one pop up for a $145 buy it now plus $30 shipping. This was an awesome deal so I jumped on it right away. Well I just got a message from the buyer saying he made a mistake in the price and meant to list it higher. Do I try to hold him to that price? Or do I just let him do the refund and relist the item. He did say in his message that if he has no choice and I plan to give him negative feedback then he will ship it. I haven't responded yet and could use some advice. On one hand I really want this set. I have been screwed over on eBay plenty of times by other sellers and I don't want to be the nice guy any more. But on the other hand maybe he did make a mistake and I should let him off the hook. Any advice is appreciated.

This is hard, I know. I am a golden rule kind of person--do unto others... I would put yourself in his shoes and do what you would do if it was reversed. If you would hold yourself accountable and ship it, then do the same for him. If you would expect somebody to understand that you had made a mistake and want to relist it, then I'd do the same.

I had seen this right before you bid and when I saw his feedback was low (I think he had a feedback of 2), initially I thought something was odd. By the time I hit the "Buy-it-now", it was gone. If I had gotten it and he sent me that message, I am not sure what I would do. I would hope that I would say "Okay, keep it but check before you list next time because you might not be so lucky next time", but I cannot say for sure that I would do that.

Make whatever decision you feel in your gut is right--both ways could be easily justified. If you have something to "pay forward", then I'd just pay-it-forward to him.

This is hard, I know. I am a golden rule kind of person--do unto others... I would put yourself in his shoes and do what you would do if it was reversed. If you would hold yourself accountable and ship it, then do the same for him. If you would expect somebody to understand that you had made a mistake and want to relist it, then I'd do the same.

I had seen this right before you bid and when I saw his feedback was low (I think he had a feedback of 2), initially I thought something was odd. By the time I hit the "Buy-it-now", it was gone. If I had gotten it and he sent me that message, I am not sure what I would do. I would hope that I would say "Okay, keep it but check before you list next time because you might not be so lucky next time", but I cannot say for sure that I would do that.

Make whatever decision you feel in your gut is right--both ways could be easily justified. If you have something to "pay forward", then I'd just pay-it-forward to him.

He has feedback of 165 @ 100%. I guess if I put myself in his shoes I would ship it. I only say that because I have in the past. I have made mistakes listing stuff (not LEGO sets) and owned up to it and shipped the item even at a loss to myself. I have always been the nice guy and I feel like I let a few sellers off the hook when I shouldn't have in the past. That being said even though I really want this set I hate to get it by screwing someone else over.

He has feedback of 165 @ 100%. I guess if I put myself in his shoes I would ship it. I only say that because I have in the past. I have made mistakes listing stuff (not LEGO sets) and owned up to it and shipped the item even at a loss to myself. I have always been the nice guy and I feel like I let a few sellers off the hook when I shouldn't have in the past. That being said even though I really want this set I hate to get it by screwing someone else over.

I don't know why i was thinking his feedback was low, I have looked at so many auctions today, I must be thinking of another one.

I do have to say that his higher feedback makes me lean towards the "make him ship it" side as he should know to check better before listing--cannot chalk it up to a newbie mistake.

He listed the auction at that price. He had ample time to note his mistake and correct it prior to the auction becoming actively searchable where you could locate it and bid on it. He was careless, and you benefited from that carelessness. I see no problem with you holding him to the terms of the agreement, and neither will eBay. Practically speaking you can't "force" him to send you the item. If he chooses not to honor the terms of the auction at the price he listed, then that is his choice. He can then suffer negative feedback, which would be well deserved and appropriate. I know if I did something like this I might well ask the customer for some concessions, but would not expect any nor bear any ill will if rebuffed.

He listed the auction at that price. He had ample time to note his mistake and correct it prior to the auction becoming actively searchable where you could locate it and bid on it. He was careless, and you benefited from that carelessness. I see no problem with you holding him to the terms of the agreement, and neither will eBay.

Practically speaking you can't "force" him to send you the item. If he chooses not to honor the terms of the auction at the price he listed, then that is his choice. He can then suffer negative feedback, which would be well deserved and appropriate. I know if I did something like this I might well ask the customer for some concessions, but would not expect any nor bear any ill will if rebuffed.

Very well said.

legodog, I have been in his shoes and I have honored the price that I made the mistake on. I would offer somewhere in the middle. You never know when you will be in his shoes again. If you are having a hard time with the decision that is probably an indication that you aren't comfortable with the sale. I would try to meet in the middle but not at his asking price. Good luck

Just a quick update... I was waiting for my wife to get home so I could see what her thoughts were on it (we both really want this set) and the seller messaged me again and said to disregard his last message and that it was his fault and that he would ship it out tomorrow. It makes me happy to know that there are sellers out there that still care. I have dealt with a lot of bad ones in the last couple months. Can't wait to build this set.

Just a quick update... I was waiting for my wife to get home so I could see what her thoughts were on it (we both really want this set) and the seller messaged me again and said to disregard his last message and that it was his fault and that he would ship it out tomorrow. It makes me happy to know that there are sellers out there that still care. I have dealt with a lot of bad ones in the last couple months. Can't wait to build this set.

It is very refreshing to find some considerate and good buyers. Make sure you leave very good feedback, Legodog!

That's a great buy for you and a very costly error for the seller. You got it for $145.00 plus postage and he meant to list it for $345.00 plus postage Seeing as he wouldve been able to get $345.00, the seller basically paid $200.00 for your positive feedback, to avoid getting a negative one.

Losing his power seller rating for refusing to ship the item would have raised the commissions he paid eBay considerably. I'm glad to see he did the responsible thing and honored the price. It isn't like Legodog did something dishonorable here or somehow took advantage of someone. This seller made a careless mistake, and in this instance a costly one. The consequences of not honoring the deal would have been much more severe though, so I'm glad he's doing the sensible thing, taking the loss on the chin, and moving on. Hopefully he'll be a little more cautious listing his auctions from now on.

I was weighing my options with the possibility of sending the seller an extra $100 if he would agree to it. This would have gotten us right between the price I paid and the price he suggested that he wanted originally before making the listing mistake. But since the seller decided to ship this without me contacting him in response to his message of a listing mistake I never made that offer. And after thinking on this for a day here is why I probably won't. I have honored prices when I made any errors in my listings or when the shipping was way over what I quoted and I lost money on the sale. I have given buyers a full refund and let them keep the product in the past because of my mistakes or damage during shipping that was not my fault. But the biggest reason is because I have won 4 auctions in the past 4 months or so where I got a great deal and then the seller messaged me and said that the listing was a mistake or the quantity was wrong or that the item was no longer available. My favorite was that a seller told me that eBay somehow listed his item twice. In all 4 of these cases I am "almost" certain that the item ended for lower than they were expecting and they didn't want to sell it for that price. This seller may have listed this auction and when it was scooped up right away he decided to do some digging and found he could have asked much more. This may not be the case but I can't say for certain so I'm not planning to compensate the seller with anything more than what I already paid and excellent feedback.