Brick Picker Publicity!

comicblast

Following the Mack Bros. USA Today appearance, another video that appeared on ABC News 3 days ago was recently released. It included one of the teen members here on Brick Picker. Video: http://www.abc57.com/home/top-stories/Lego-sales-soar-twenty-five-percent-192759171.html In relation to Lego sales growing by 25%, the number of AFOLs, investors and collectors. Just a little warning/my prediction of the future of Lego Investing: More people investing = more people buying and storing sets for the long term = sets don't increase as much in the future because there are more of those sets out there. Kind of like the Live Star. ;)

Just a little warning/my prediction of the future of Lego Investing: More people investing = more people buying and storing sets for the long term = sets don't increase as much in the future because there are more of those sets out there. Kind of like the Live Star.

;)

I don't think it really means that at all. Most people don't have the patience nor the extra income to invest nor the willingness to figure out which things to buy and which things to avoid. If anything there will be an influx of people who buy a few sets and don't follow through long-term. Ultimately this will have zero impact on the long term market.

And even once people do buy and decide to sell that there's a big assumption that the average person can structure their eBay auctions/sales in a way that will result in a profit. I know it seems easy and that anyone should be able to do it, but some of the auctions I look at daily leave me scratching my head.

The advice we often hear repeated here "buy what you like" is probably what most people will do. No offense, and I understand where that advice is coming from, but it's not really a profit-focused approach. What you like may never generate a profit. This advice comes from the notion that there will be a LEGO market crash and that if you've bought what you like, then at least you can build them. There's not a chance that's what I'd do were there a crash...worst case I'd donate it all to charity and take a deduction for the price I paid for the items...

I know a ton of people have registered in the last few months (including me), but I'll bet if we had a way to look at everyone's average holdings you'd see that only a tiny percentage have significant holdings in currently valuable, or likely long-term valuable sets. Most people don't have thousands or even hundreds of dollars to pump into any investment, let alone LEGO.

I definitely wouldn't go as far as saying it will have zero impact long term as there will be people who will stick it out and be very involved in this aspect of the Lego world, that being said I do not think it will have a huge impact.

Perhaps zero impact is not right. It could actually work to the advantage of the hardcore long-term investor if people buying random things remove them from the market, and either forget about them or get impatient and dump at low prices...

Following the Mack Bros. USA Today appearance, another video that appeared on ABC News 3 days ago was recently released. It included one of the teen members here on Brick Picker. Video: http://www.abc57.com/home/top-stories/Lego-sales-soar-twenty-five-percent-192759171.html

In relation to Lego sales growing by 25%, the number of AFOLs, investors and collectors.

Just a little warning/my prediction of the future of Lego Investing: More people investing = more people buying and storing sets for the long term = sets don't increase as much in the future because there are more of those sets out there. Kind of like the Live Star.

;)

It might have a minimal impact, but nothing that would cause major problems for investors. Not everyone has the time or money to invest in Lego.

I have the time (or at least could divert more time to Lego quite easily), but not the money, and I think that might describe a lot of folks. If I had a lot more money, I would have as many 10212s as Emazers. Instead I have zero, because I had too many other obligations at the time and couldn't spare any extra cash. I don't know how many new members can afford to roll the way he does...

I have the time (or at least could divert more time to Lego quite easily), but not the money, and I think that might describe a lot of folks.

If I had a lot more money, I would have as many 10212s as Emazers. Instead I have zero, because I had too many other obligations at the time and couldn't spare any extra cash. I don't know how many new members can afford to roll the way he does...

Exactly, people that roll like that are few and far between in my opinion.