LEGO Removing Police, Fire, and First Responder Themes?

exciter1

18 hours ago, Brystheguy said:

I don't think a company trying to stay out of the limelight is ridiculous. They are not taking a side either way. They're just going to lay low for a bit while the situation plays itself out.

their actions are bringing the exact opposite of laying low.  lots of attention over pulling ads that no one was looking at right now anyway.

can't wait for fox news to get a hold of this.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/04/george-floyd-protests-lego-pulls-some-ads-for-police-and-white-house-sets.html

21 hours ago, TANV said:

I agree.  I also think what made them push forward with this was the looting of the flagship store in NYC. Not a great image.

LOL...They are looting any store.  If for one second The LEGO Group thinks some knucklehead will hold back and not destroy a LEGO store because they removed "police and fire dept." sets, then I have some property to sell them.  

This is the worst message this particular company can send to LEGO customers.  Let's face it, there are no LEGO stores in non-affluent towns.  If they want to make a difference, build LEGO stores in poor urban areas and donate sets to the kids that cannot afford them.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, HappyHawkeye said:

I'm sure some people will applaud this, some will decry it, and some will just shrug or roll their eyes. In the end, it's not going to significantly impact their business one way or the other.

Exactly. It's always comical to me that the people that are the loudest about people being too sensitive (or whatever) are the same ones to get offended by any PC move a brand makes.

In the end, this is nothing.

7 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Money always talks....

Lol, this whole thing smelled like overreacting and or panicking PR exec trying to manage potential (imaginary?) fire.  LEGO unnecessarily put their brand in the crossfire and (in my opinion) will get flacks from people who actually want to see those sets removed from their catalogs permanently... :drag:   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ed Mack said:

LOL...They are looting any store.  If for one second The LEGO Group thinks some knucklehead will hold back and not destroy a LEGO store because they removed "police and fire dept." sets, then I have some property to sell them.  

This is the worst message this particular company can send to LEGO customers.  Let's face it, there are no LEGO stores in non-affluent towns.  If they want to make a difference, build LEGO stores in poor urban areas and donate sets to the kids that cannot afford them.  

I agree.  This costs them nothing and in my opinion does nothing.  If doing something meaningful actually cost companies money or PR image, you'd be able to see where they really stood.

Don't know if this is coincidence or related, but I just sold through inventory of a small City Police accessory set that was languishing for a long time. I just checked Amazon listing and it is nearly sold out... I should have raised the price with this news.

On 6/4/2020 at 7:57 AM, cladner said:

their actions are bringing the exact opposite of laying low.  lots of attention over pulling ads that no one was looking at right now anyway.

can't wait for fox news to get a hold of this.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/04/george-floyd-protests-lego-pulls-some-ads-for-police-and-white-house-sets.html

I think it just hit fox news - father in law just texted me telling me that I'm probably sitting on gold if I have any police figures.  I sent him LEGO's response about the digital advertising.  Haven't heard back...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, keith1833 said:

I think it just hit fox news - father in law just texted me telling me that I'm probably sitting on gold if I have any police figures.  I sent him LEGO's response about the digital advertising.  Haven't heard back...

i'm tellin' ya'...  its going to make them harder to get.

first responder based themes have always been great performers for me. 

the spectre that they might be somehow taken away (even though actual announcement said nothing of the sort) literally propelled this set into the top building set spot on amazon in the last day. 

#1 in overall toy building set AND #1 preschool building set. 

91fnoxJ2AhL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Police-60241-Building-Pieces/dp/B07WF9R194/ref=zg_bs_166099011_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JQ64381EJRTKNS7QANPM

Edited by cladner

3 hours ago, cladner said:

i'm tellin' ya'...  its going to make them harder to get.

first responder based themes have always been great performers for me. 

the spectre that they might be somehow taken away (even though actual announcement said nothing of the sort) literally propelled this set into the top building set spot on amazon in the last day. 

#1 in overall toy building set AND #1 preschool building set. 

https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Police-60241-Building-Pieces/dp/B07WF9R194/ref=zg_bs_166099011_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JQ64381EJRTKNS7QANPM

but doesn't this just mean these sets are all being hoarded by resellers jumping on the news..clearly there isn't actual demand.

resellers are banking on these sets becoming scarce AND end buyers paying a premium for them.  Maybe.

My personal opinion is that these sets are popular because they offered a lot of bang for the buck for a birthday or Christmas gift (nice box size and all that)...but once prices jump I am of the opinion buyers will simply get other sets.