LEGO Removing Police, Fire, and First Responder Themes?

exciter1

This whole situation is EXTREMELY unfortunate. Looters who are taking advantage of protesting a just cause, are doing nothing but harming this situation. 

Lego doesn't want to seem insensitive to the situation (ie: still wants to keep making money and not hurt any feelings) and as a whole those sets typically have discounts associated with them (City) and they don't want to be seen as having a side in the situation. Right now people are looking for anything to grasp at as being one side or another. It's hard to even explain a gray area any more, no one will allow you the time to express your views. Its A or B.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, CosmicSpeed said:

This whole situation is EXTREMELY unfortunate. Looters who are taking advantage of protesting a just cause, are doing nothing but harming this situation. 

Lego doesn't want to seem insensitive to the situation (ie: still wants to keep making money and not hurt any feelings) and as a whole those sets typically have discounts associated with them (City) and they don't want to be seen as having a side in the situation. Right now people are looking for anything to grasp at as being one side or another. It's hard to even explain a gray area any more, no one will allow you the time to express your views. Its A or B.

I agree.  I also think what made them push forward with this was the looting of the flagship store in NYC. Not a great image.

2 hours ago, CosmicSpeed said:

Exactly. I personally find it all terribly saddening. If you hold any kind of individual opinion you are suddenly either a racist, not woke, or a variety of other terrible things. Prevents any relevant discussion from actually happening, and as a result will prevent and meaningful improvements from actually occurring.

• Like 5

I also think that if they are suggesting this that they should also suggest to limit sets involving Voldemort, Superheroes/villains of any kind, Star Wars, all of the dinos because they could theoretically if alive eat people, they should definitely just retire the bookstore because it involves books that may be about people that have done bad things at some point.

Most importantly though, they should retire entirely the color blue, before it offends anyone else.

Lego has always had personal convictions about not producing sets that mimic real violence. Fantasy violence--they're fine with, but tanks and other military equipment not so much. I have fond memories playing with many of the first responder City sets as a kid so I do hope this is only temporary. I have wondered how they were going to respond to police forces being allocated tons of surplus military vehicles over the past decade and if/when this would ever be represented. I guess that's a big no. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brystheguy said:

I don't think a company trying to stay out of the limelight is ridiculous. They are not taking a side either way. They're just going to lay low for a bit while the situation plays itself out.

What are you talking about? Before today, was LEGO linked in any way to whats going on? No? Well they are now.

Edited by KvHulk
  • Like 5

Has anyone bothered to go back to the site?  They posted an update saying that Lego reached out and had only intended for those products to be pulled for the blackout day, not permanently.

What they said :
“We requested that our affiliate partners refrain from posting promotional LEGO content as part of our decision to respect #BlackOutTuesday and pause posting content on our social media channels in response to the tragic events in the US. We regret any misunderstanding and will ensure that we are clearer about our intentions in the future.”

This makes little sense and does not match with the original email listing only a certain number of City Police and Fire. Either the source was lying and doctored the original email listing the sets or LEGO screwed up royally and is trying to cover their butt.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark Twain said:

What they said :
“We requested that our affiliate partners refrain from posting promotional LEGO content as part of our decision to respect #BlackOutTuesday and pause posting content on our social media channels in response to the tragic events in the US. We regret any misunderstanding and will ensure that we are clearer about our intentions in the future.”

This makes little sense and does not match with the original email listing only a certain number of City Police and Fire. Either the source was lying and doctored the original email listing the sets or LEGO screwed up royally and is trying to cover their butt.

I guess it's the trend right now to be anti-police, anti-White House, anti-firefighter and anti....Donut shops?

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, freakchem said:

What's wrong with the world? First responders are not allowed to show up in toys?? WTF

They are not allowed to show up in real life either. In St. Louis a fire truck was blocked and firefighters were pelted with rocks by “protestors” when they attempted to put out a fire at a 7 Eleven. The world is upSide down. 

Edited by Mathew