9450 - Epic Dragon Battle

stackables

The fact that it has been available for a while is great IMO because it made this set more known by kids.

3 years after its release, if the kid wasn't able to get this set because he was too young (or any other reason), he will still think about it... and ask for it.

Edited by biniou

Jury is still out on this set. It's not retired yet (but labelled as Retiring Soon in my local B&M since June) and actually out of stock at my local TRU.

Sure, it's been discounted forever but other sets that have done well have also been discounted a long time before EOL (think 9516).

Looks like (I hope) this will follow the more "traditional" rise in value (slow and steady, 2-3 years after EOL) rather than what people think is now the norm and what should happen (immediate doubling after 3 months, like 4184/4195).

The only comfort I take now with the ones that I have is that some of the proven heavy hitters (emazers, Ed Mack) have a bunch of these and they are a lot smarter about this than I am.  :dontknow:

I agree. I would have never purchased this set if I wasn't able to get it for at least 50% off. Hence jumped the gun on 8 of them. 5 @ $55 and 3 @ $60 (all free shipping). Currently Parting out the set with minifigs and dragon can still get you $100. Ever since I saw the pictures of Emazers stash, I know I wasn't wrong on stacking these up.

I agree. I would have never purchased this set if I wasn't able to get it for at least 50% off. Hence jumped the gun on 8 of them. 5 @ $55 and 3 @ $60 (all free shipping). Currently Parting out the set with minifigs and dragon can still get you $100. Ever since I saw the pictures of Emazers stash, I know I wasn't wrong on stacking these up.

Rumor has it that emazers offloaded his a loooooong time ago.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

(I copy/paste here from the 9449 thread)

It's funny, I have come full circle on these. Liked them as investments at the start, was ready to dump when they released the robot series, but now am more optimistic for a couple of reasons.

1. Going back to the snake-ish theme. The green box sets are a nice match with the new ones now that look to be more of a classic ninja style.
2. The movie, which of course is a wild card, but maybe we'll see the four-headed dragon again.

Yes but the EDB is a 2012 set.

Ahhhh 2011 and 2012, it was a great era... lol
I mean, what if a remake of the EDB comes on 2016 ? I would fear (as a lego fan) that it could be very disappointing, like (IMHO) most of the new sets lego is releasing now: 2011 was great, 2012 nice, 2013 ok, 2014 meh and 2015 bad, so what about 2016 ?

See, Lego sets have a PPP higher and higher (and pieces smaller and smaller, of course) and a remake of the 9450 on 2016 or 2017 could look like the 70748 Titanium Dragon with 4 heads, and sold $79. :-/

Edited by biniou

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...