Monkie Kid 2020

26 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

Define “launching”? They have had these sets at the Lego store and online. 

verb

gerund or present participle:  launching

set (a boat) in motion by pushing it or allowing it to roll into the water.
"the town's lifeboat was launched to rescue the fishermen"
start or set in motion (an activity or enterprise).
"she was launching a campaign against ugly architecture"
release or make available new Lego theme or wave
"Lego is launching the next wave of Monkey King on Monday"

Define “launching”? They have had these sets at the Lego store and online. 

I think of “launching” as including some sort of advertising and a marketing push, and outside of the Prime holiday catalog, I haven’t seen much. The series has been streaming on Prime for nearly 90 days and only has 13 reviews, so are they going to market this to US kids at some point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

. . . If your kids dropped acid and visited China town in the year 2100.

In all seriousness, this is a fun looking set with a lot of creativity. I’m baffled why we haven’t seen a larger marketing push for the theme.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Mark Twain said:

In all seriousness, this is a fun looking set with a lot of creativity. I’m baffled why we haven’t seen a larger marketing push for the theme.

TLG just needs to sell this set to sell well in China, everything else is a bonus. Probably most kids there already know about the monkey King and journey to the west so less selling of the story. 

When I was a kid I watched one of the stories that I recorded on VHS until it went kaput. 

Edited by coelian
  • Like 2

On 11/27/2021 at 7:32 AM, coelian said:

TLG just needs to sell this set to sell well in China, everything else is a bonus. Probably most kids there already know about the monkey King and journey to the west so less selling of the story. 

When I was a kid I watched one of the stories that I recorded on VHS until it went kaput. 

This is also one of my favorite.

On 11/27/2021 at 7:32 AM, coelian said:

Thank you very much in sharing that animated film. I sat down and watched it a few days ago. It reminded me a bit of why I became enthralled with the Sun Wukong character in the latter half of my childhood. The animation was quite beautiful. Also seeing Nezha (around half hour in I think) was a nice surprise for me.

If anything I am happy to see what could have been another piece of artistic history lost to time was instead restored to the best presently possible condition. Some areas of the film were rough, but I can easily accept that over the alternative.

5 hours ago, TheOrcKing said:

Thank you very much in sharing that animated film. I sat down and watched it a few days ago. It reminded me a bit of why I became enthralled with the Sun Wukong character in the latter half of my childhood. The animation was quite beautiful. Also seeing Nezha (around half hour in I think) was a nice surprise for me.

If anything I am happy to see what could have been another piece of artistic history lost to time was instead restored to the best presently possible condition. Some areas of the film were rough, but I can easily accept that over the alternative.

You're welcome, maybe I'll sit down with my kids to watch it tomorrow. That show is actually older than me and made in 1965! 

In the last few years there have been multiple monkey King related movies from Asia, I'm not super thrilled with the cgi though. 

When the Flower and Fruit mountain set came out, I bought it when it first went on sale. The memories from the animated film was just too nostalgic for me not to buy the set. But you kind of have to watch the show to know why. 

Edited by coelian
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

This is amazing. Some of the best design I’ve seen from the non main stream LEGO themes.

It’s not very popular in North America. I’m wondering how sales in Rest of the world, especially as Asia/ China where where the story originated, as LEGO seems to persist with this theme.

Also could this be sleeper for the first wave sets.

Monkie Kid sets continue to amaze and impress me.  I've watched some... of the animated show and didn't really see a lot of tie in with the sets that have been released so far.  Was it something that I missed or does the show not really relate to the sets aside from general subject matter?

1 hour ago, Pseudoty said:

5B9562E4-6679-4070-9CB5-CA936B7886ED.png

I assume that is the Jade Palace ?  I want to see what the Jade Emperor looks like in this series.  I know a little bit about the Journey to the West saga (the inspiration for Monkie Kid) being an old kung fu movies fan ;)

1 hour ago, scratchdesk said:

Monkie Kid sets continue to amaze and impress me.  I've watched some... of the animated show and didn't really see a lot of tie in with the sets that have been released so far.  Was it something that I missed or does the show not really relate to the sets aside from general subject matter?

Perhaps the studio that created the animation series did not work as closely with LEGO compared to the one that created Ninjago or Friends

6 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

I assume that is the Jade Palace ?  I want to see what the Jade Emperor looks like in this series.  I know a little bit about the Journey to the West saga (the inspiration for Monkie Kid) being an old kung fu movies fan ;)

Perhaps the studio that created the animation series did not work as closely with LEGO compared to the one that created Ninjago or Friends

Would be great to get a Jade Emperor fig, probably in the future extension sets, since now we have his office, literally. 😊

• 7 months later...