75275 - UCS: A-Wing Starfighter

Cheese

2 hours ago, gmpirate said:

I used to be hyped for these UCS sets but with all the MOC instructions and full custom kits available now I'm less inclined.

As someone who has already built a UCS Nebulon-B and has the parts to start a UCS AT-AT and the instructions for the UCS Tie Bomber and UCS Tie-Defender, I mostly agree.  But all the UCS mocs I saw for the A-Wing just never really captured the sleek look like this set has.  One of the challenges was the canopy, which LEGO made a new one just for this set.

• Like 1

anyone with knowledge know how the May 4th promotion typically works? i'm a bit concerned that the A-Wing will already be OOS once the promotion hits. so does that mean we should expect to order a key chain to get the promotion set assuming the A-Wing lasts that long? and do they normally do double points during the promotion period?

Edited by MotorCityMuscle

12 hours ago, exracer327 said:

As someone who has already built a UCS Nebulon-B and has the parts to start a UCS AT-AT and the instructions for the UCS Tie Bomber and UCS Tie-Defender, I mostly agree.  But all the UCS mocs I saw for the A-Wing just never really captured the sleek look like this set has.  One of the challenges was the canopy, which LEGO made a new one just for this set.

Haven't really looked into the A-Wing MOC's, but true, this one looks good.  I have the U-Project (full kit) en route to me and the TS-Project in the works.  Then I have to figure out where I'm going to put them.  I bought the instructions to the AT-AT a few years ago but like a lot of sets I buy, I never got around to it.

13 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

surprised they didn't save this release till May 4th

makes me think it's something even bigger/better..money is on UCS Gunship reveal...we know it's just a matter of time 

can't imagine they would be able to turn around a gunship that quick. didn't we just finalize that vote two months ago?

Just curious where did you find the instructions for the UCS tie bomber and defender?

1 hour ago, scatttcat said:

Just curious where did you find the instructions for the UCS tie bomber and defender?

Don't roll your eyes but the designs I liked the most I found on ebay.  They were relatively cheap enough and came with the parts list + UCS sticker.  The Defender build uses a lot (about 40%) of the parts from the UCS Tie Fighter, which I already have.  I was considering tearing it down to build it into that.  Here are the links so you can check them out for yourself:

Tie Defender: https://www.ebay.com/itm/274318434630?ViewItem=&item=274318434630

Tie Bomber: https://www.ebay.com/itm/274318434607?ViewItem=&item=274318434607

19 hours ago, Graphicski said:

Great to have a new ship in the ucs line - not keen on the price (£150 fairer I think) but still a must have for me 😅

I confess I thought the same thing about the price, maybe even $175 US considering the part count.  However, as someone else pointed out in a different thread (I don't recall which one, maybe the UCS snowspeeder thread) the size of the ship or part count for UCS doesn't really affect the MSRP.

The T-47 Snowspeeder is the smallest of all the SW ships @ 5.3m / 17' 5".  The most recent UCS Snowspeeder had 1703 pieces ($200 US) and was nearly the same size as the UCS X-Wing which in Star Wars is over twice the length (12.5m / 41').

The RZ-1 A-Wing is still roughly half the size of the X-Wing and only slightly larger than the snowspeeder @ 6.9m / 22' 8".  The UCS LEGO A-Wing has 1670 pieces ($200 US) and again will be roughly the same size as the LEGO UCS Snowspeeder and UCS X-Wing.

So the price, while not advantageous, is in line with previous sets.

This is LEGO's first non-remake true UCS set since at least 2015 so I don't necessarily see the price coming down.  However, if it goes on sale, I'll definitely buy more.

Edited by exracer327
  • Like 1

I'm thoroughly surprised and happy that TLG is finally making this. We've been hankering for a UCS A-Wing for a long time now. Even though the piece count isn't extraordinarily high, the finished model looks solid and looks to be a decent size. We get a good idea of the size when the designer picked it up towards the end of the video. Way to go Lego!