Ideas #033: 21325 - Medieval Blacksmith

Alpinemaps

37 minutes ago, Achilles said:

Using Black Falcons is a dirty trick.

I seldom do day 1 purchases for myself but I think I will succumb to this one. Both kiddo and I are huge castle fans. We were a little disappointed by the original model vs this but it looks OK at the end of the day. 

32 minutes ago, marcandre said:

Looks nicer on the box. This would pair nicely with the bricklink castle. 

I've got two of those in storage, maybe it's time to pop the seals.. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, coelian said:

I seldom do day 1 purchases for myself but I think I will succumb to this one. Both kiddo and I are huge castle fans. We were a little disappointed by the original model vs this but it looks OK at the end of the day. 

I love Lowenstein but the scale will be a little off next to blacksmith's hut. Lowenstein had to keep under 2,000 pieces and had very little interior space. I built mine plus the expansion and loved it, but the mill and medieval village does look a little too large next to it. It does serve as a very nice background though! No doubt this hut will have more interior space than Lowenstein. I'd post a pic but Imgur is currently down. :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coelian said:

Yes, the Lowenstein Castle is great (so well thought out) - You'll also want to bricklink the expansion build.

48 minutes ago, locidm said:

I love Lowenstein but the scale will be a little off next to blacksmith's hut. Lowenstein had to keep under 2,000 pieces and had very little interior space. I built mine plus the expansion and loved it, but the mill and medieval village does look a little too large next to it. It does serve as a very nice background though! No doubt this hut will have more interior space than Lowenstein. I'd post a pic but Imgur is currently down. :(

Here's the pic now that imgur is back up:

RHn400Jh.jpg

13 minutes ago, KShine said:

Yes, the Lowenstein Castle is great (so well thought out) - You'll also want to bricklink the expansion build.

5 minutes ago, BricksBrotha said:

He did say he had 2 copies.

Even with 2 copies one would still need to bricklink additional pieces.

Edited by locidm
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, BricksBrotha said:

He did say he had 2 copies.

I can't recall the precise %, but I think that would cover about 80% (guessing from my memory).

The builder did try to use as many of the same parts as possible, but I don't know if that makes opening the second one worthwhile.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KShine said:

I can't recall the precise %, but I think that would cover about 80% (guessing from my memory).

The builder did try to use as many of the same parts as possible, but I don't know if that makes opening the second one worthwhile.

Now that you mention it, you are right. I do remember now the set only consists of ~80% of parts needed for the expansion pack. I was thinking it was a 1 for 1.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be getting it but the Swiss RRP is a bummer, 189chf (~175EUR) vs 150eur in germany or 160eur in france. Maybe I will wait for the eu amazons to have stock. The piece count is a lot higher than I thought though, 2164 pcs.

Edited by coelian

16 minutes ago, coelian said:

I'd be getting it but the Swiss RRP is a bummer, 189chf (~175EUR) vs 150eur in germany or 160eur in france. Maybe I will wait for the eu amazons to have stock. The piece count is a lot higher than I thought though, 2164 pcs.

Similar here. In The Netherlands the RRP is €170. :(  

For that price difference I'll wait until Amazon DE will start selling it !

35 minutes ago, HandyHand said:

Similar here. In The Netherlands the RRP is €170. :(  

For that price difference I'll wait until Amazon DE will start selling it !

The only question is whether is will even be sold at the amazon's. Some of the ideas sets like dinosaurs and Iss are still not sold at the EU amazon's. Steamboat Willie was also quite hard to get. Having said that sometimes ideas sets go for good discounts amongst the various EU amazon's. 

Good RRP in the UK, surprisingly (£134.99, which I guess is broadly equivalent to the German RRP). No sign of post-Brexit currency crashes thankfully (though we're still riding the pre-Brexit one). 

Over 2100 pieces means it's no surprise that they cut down the size compared to the original submission. That would have been simply too expensive.

Nice little set. Feels like it closer resembles the original Blacksmith shop than the Ideas submission. What it’s lacking is a current Castle theme. It’d be neat to see them release a series of AFOL castle themed sets. Maybe a tavern inn next. Similar piece count. A updated Black Falcon fortress would be amazing. 

• Like 1