Ideas #033: 21325 - Medieval Blacksmith

Alpinemaps

7 hours ago, MotorCityMuscle said:

Wow they neutered that set pretty bad. Looks like Duplo now. 

Duplo?  Gimme a break.  It’s lacking comparatively but that’s the case with most Ideas sets.  Wait until you see more images before forming such a opinion. 

Edited by Mathew

40 minutes ago, MotorCityMuscle said:

D34E6DD1-18D6-44F4-822B-BEBA6B2E1AEF.jpeg

LEGO Ideas fans: We'll gladly pay $150 - $200 for this Ideas' submission.

LEGO designers: I don't know.  I feel like we need to add more color, make it smaller, oh and throw in a small Bonsai looking tree - those are popular right now.

If this is what we end up with, it reminds me of what LEGO did to the Flintstone submission.  I hope this isn't the way LEGO is going with all future Ideas submissions.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, exracer327 said:

LEGO Ideas fans: We'll gladly pay $150 - $200 for this Ideas' submission.

LEGO designers: I don't know.  I feel like we need to add more color, make it smaller, oh and throw in a small Bonsai looking tree - those are popular right now.

If this is what we end up with, it reminds me of what LEGO did to the Flintstone submission.  I hope this isn't the way LEGO is going with all future Ideas submissions.

Strike first. strike hard . no mercy

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think what some people fail to get is that end of the day Lego is a business. I'm sure the designers would love to create 5000+ piece MOC's using rare colours / moulds etc, but from a business and logistical standpointbthis isn't possible. The bean counters will impose a max set price / piece  count / new parts and colours etc / impact of production upon other sets. 

I still think its amazing that lego even offers an Ideas platform, and that people have a chance to say their idea is now available to buy at every lego shop in the world.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Voltron said:

I still think its amazing that lego even offers an Ideas platform, and that people have a chance to say their idea is now available to buy at every lego shop in the world.

So true, and I own many fantastic Idea sets. However, if Lego continue the trend of spitting out an entirely differently mold than the original idea, the whole range itself will start to see less quality submissions if it hasn't already.(it has)

Edited by BricksBrotha
typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BricksBrotha said:

So true, and I own many fantastic Idea sets. However, if Lego continue the trend of spitting out an entirely differently mold than the original idea, the whole range itself will start to see less quality submissions if it hasn't already.(it has)

While I'll agree the quality of submissions isnt what it once was, I also think AFOL's have a hard time creating sets that arent the whole kitchen sink. 

• Like 3

I think what some people fail to get is that end of the day Lego is a business. I'm sure the designers would love to create 5000+ piece MOC's using rare colours / moulds etc, but from a business and logistical standpointbthis isn't possible. The bean counters will impose a max set price / piece  count / new parts and colours etc / impact of production upon other sets. 

We’re likely going to see some fan service through the next BrickLink AFOL program which will basically be ex ideas subs. I doubt they’ll to d these down too much.

Let’s also remember that LEGO is a privately-held company. As such, they have more discretion in their decisions without having to justify their logic with shareholders. That can work for or against AFOL. 
I saw the original submission and thought that looked Bad-a$$ and I have to have one of those. Would have been awesome to have an entire layout in that style. I saw the final version and now I’ll pass. 
I’m playing A/C Valhalla and I’m spoiled by the visual eye candy. If LEGO wants to compete for my dollars, they’ll have to keep up.
They’ve come a long ways from the 80’s, but I want more Fishing Stores — and will pay a premium for those quality sets.  The FS may have been a logistical mistake as well.  Now we know what can be produced, we expect too much from them :)  But then again, that’s what they should be able to get by with the ideas line — it’s the miscellaneous category. I don’t expect city, friends, etc... to adjust their visual style anytime soon. But I’m not buying those sets for personal builds either. 

• Like 1

The problem is that they totally changed the essence. AFOL didn't vote for just any medieval blacksmith, they voted for a dark themed, less Disney blacksmith. AFOL knew that Lego would be making changes to piece count, and to simplify it. The original would have been too expensive and was too complex. But they totally disregarded the essence of the original submission, and that's why people are upset. The tree epitomizes this.

On 1/1/2021 at 4:47 PM, Voltron said:

I'm not sure I buy that logic.  Maybe for new molds, but rare colors seems like just adding the right dye to the plastic mix.  Maybe logistically it might incur some costs, but given that Lego seems to add new colors to old elements relatively frequently I would assume they have this down pat by now.  And they add new minifig molds dozens of times a year, so even that seems doable. 

What it really comes down to is this: Lego almost went bankrupt.  Hard to believe now, but back in the day they were on the verge of collapse and it was determined that they had branched out too much into too many fields.  So, now they're of course reluctant to get back into that boat.  So I don't know just how much new IP sets we can expect.  But the Ideas, the IP-free ones, that have a proven fan base willing to pony up the cash -- that just seems like an indulgence they could give the AFOLs.

Let's be honest. If Lego had just spit this set out without it coming from the Ideas contest... it would be loved. Without comparing it to the Ideas model, it's not a bad looking set.

You all fell in love with your perception of her before truly getting to know her. The makeup came off and you feel betrayed by your own expectations. She will look lovely next to the 10193 Medieval Market Village.

Brickset did a pretty good article comparing Ideas submission with their release results:

https://brickset.com/article/57087/lego-ideas-original-projects-vs-final-sets

Edited by brickvoyeur
  • Like 3

My mindset of the Ideas line is pretty much the equivalent to automotive Concept Cars. We are shown a wildly outlandish-for-production submission to get the people talking. And then the production version is tamed down, made to work with manufacturing and profit goals and appeal to the general public, not only in looks but also in price.

• Like 5

Let's look at it from a different POV.  What if LEGO took this opportunity to test the market to see if it was ready for another Castle / Medieval theme?   LEGO knew what AFOLs would spend on a set like Old Fishing Store.  A full scale $200 Modular Blacksmith set would be a sure win among AFOL, but would it be winner for little Timmys out there?  A middle of the road $90-$100 set is a cheap way to test that broader market.  Think of it like the original $35 Minecraft Ideas cube that started the whole Minecraft line.

Of course, if this set turns out to be $150+, it will blow my theory out of the water :D

2 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Let's look at it from a different POV.  What if LEGO took this opportunity to test the market to see if it was ready for another Castle / Medieval theme?   LEGO knew what AFOLs would spend on a set like Old Fishing Store.  A full scale $200 Modular Blacksmith set would be a sure win among AFOL, but would it be winner for little Timmys out there?  A middle of the road $90-$100 set is a cheap way to test that broader market.  Think of it like the original $35 Minecraft Ideas cube that started the whole Minecraft line.

Of course, if this set turns out to be $150+, it will blow my theory out of the water :D

I really don't expect that little Timmy is going to want this set.

• Like 1

Well it seems most of the criticisms are based in love. Love for the original, love for the theme, love for Lego, else why would we care. yes, didn't fully capture the "mood" of the submission but IMO is this a beauty and we haven't even seen all the details yet. My complaints would be this being an ideas set and not a new castle theme and if they would have simply used darker brown on the wood bits.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BricksBrotha said:

Would it have been that difficult to make the roof monochromatic with dark blue? I just dont understand some decisions in this line.  That has nothing to do with new parts or new colors.  Proof of too many cooks in the kitchen...

Looks to me like the designer wants to make it seems like the top of the roof is catching sunlight while the bottom of the room is kind of still in the shade.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BricksBrotha said:

Would it have been that difficult to make the roof monochromatic with dark blue? I just dont understand some decisions in this line.  That has nothing to do with new parts or new colors.  Proof of too many cooks in the kitchen...

I think it's supposed to be a moss look.

52 minutes ago, locidm said:

Looks to me like the designer wants to make it seems like the top of the roof is catching sunlight while the bottom of the room is kind of still in the shade.

44 minutes ago, Brystheguy said:

I think it's supposed to be a moss look.

Again, why would any designer need to add their touch to a fan approved idea?? I get the changes with 'illegal' connections, retired molds, new molds, stability issues, etc. These aesthetic changes comes off a bit selfish and unnecessary to me is all.

The figs do look great and the box art is akin to an IG filter making a 6 into a dime.