2019: Too Soon for a look Back Thread?: favorites

Most memorable build:  Building Voltron w/ my boy in our own train car going cross country

Best for resell Deals: Target 50% off Capital Building and Ferrari Garage sets,

Best Personal Collection Deals: LEGO Shop at Home 30% deals: Disney Train, Ninjago City & Docks

BEST Damn Set 2019 (purchased): Mustang and 1989 Batmobile

Biggest LEGO Fiasco 2019: BHZs exclusives

Deal that Got Away: Apocalapsburg at 30% off 

Most Regretful Purchases: Advent Calendars , TLM2 sets at only 20% off ? 

Still waiting on for right price (worried of being too late): Stranger Things, Modular Diner, Holiday Train lol!

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan
  • Like 3

Most memorable build:  Technic Landrover

BEST Damn Set 2019 (purchased): Mustang

Biggest LEGO Fiasco 2019: Bricklink buyout

Deal that Got Away: Slave 1 50 euros

Most Regretful Purchases: Lady Liberty full price, I know things could have been a lot worse.

Still waiting on for right price: 76108

2 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Most memorable build:  None. I don't build/play with LEGO.

Best for resell Deals: None.

Best Personal Collection Deals: None. I don't collect anything.

BEST Damn Set 2019 (purchased): What does "BEST Damn Set 2019" mean?

Biggest LEGO Fiasco 2019: TLG carelessly repeating several mistakes of the past that nearly resulted in bankruptcy in around 2004 and making many new mistakes (that could ultimately lead to where they came from 15-20 years ago), like acquiring back their LEGOLAND parks, having too many products/pieces in production, announcing the return of LEGO jewellery for girls, introducing wooden figures, increasing their prices in general while decreasing production quality, ignoring most of the present and upcoming market threats and growing competition, introducing new features to their community just to abondon those featues after only weeks (Black VIP card, VIP rewards program). Not to forget other "big (stupid) ideas" like launching the 1989 Batmobile on Black Friday without caring about server capactity for their website that has not been working properly in the first place for years now.

Deal that Got Away: None. I took advantage of every deal as planned.

Most Regretful Purchases: None.

Still waiting on for right price (worried of being too late): None.

Edited by Frank Brickowski
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

Most memorable build:  None. I don't build/play with LEGO.

Best for resell Deals: None.

Best Personal Collection Deals: None. I don't collect anything.

BEST Damn Set 2019 (purchased): What does "BEST Damn Set 2019" mean?

Biggest LEGO Fiasco 2019: TLG carelessly repeating several mistakes of the past that nearly resulted in bankruptcy in around 2004 and making many new mistakes (that could ultimately lead to where they came from 15-20 years ago), like acquiring back their LEGOLAND parks, having too many products/pieces in production, announcing the return of LEGO jewellery for girls, introducing wooden figures, increasing their prices in general while decreasing production quality, ignoring most of the present and upcoming market threats and growing competition, introducing new features to their community just to abondon those featues after only weeks (Black VIP card, VIP rewards program). Not to forget other "big (stupid) ideas" like launching the 1989 Batmobile on Black Friday without caring about server capactity for their website that has not been working properly in the first place for years now.

Deal that Got Away: None. I took advantage of every deal as planned.

Most Regretful Purchases: None.

Still waiting on for right price (worried of being too late): None.

Meow.

• Like 1

Most memorable build:  Didn't build a single 2019 set

Best for resell Deals: 10243, 21313 & 70840 - 35% off; 70620 - 40% off

Biggest LEGO Fiasco 2019: Star Wars, the theme that got me into LEGO collecting, doesn't fail to disappoint me again and again every year since 2015

Deal that Got Away: 21315 in bulk - 44% off, just wasn't so sure

Most Regretful Purchases: too many 21309s

Still waiting on for right price: -

It's not to soon to look back. Looking back is very informative. I believe last year someone tallied up votes on everyones favorite set and did a thread on the top 20 list of 2018. I can't find the thread but i liked it.  That was a good because I didn't realize how great 70653 Firstbourne was. It was number 19 or 20 on the list. Other people gave there 2 cents on other sets which was very useful information for all even if it didn't make the top 20 list. 

Most memorable build:  10265 Ford Mustang

Best for resell Deals: Mickey and Minnie Brickheadz. My best sellers in 2019. If only I had bought more...

Best Personal Collection Deals: 1989 Batman bought at Amsterdam Flagship Store opening with several promos that render the set for free when all promos are sold.

BEST Damn Set 2019 (purchased): 1989 Batmobile 

Biggest LEGO Fiasco 2019: None

Deal that Got Away: Corner Garage Modular: ordered at a great price, no more stock notification, refunded. Oh well...

Most Regretful Purchases: While 2018 had several regretful purchases, I've not made any regretful purchase in 2019.

Still waiting on for right price: 21318 Tree House (for personal build).

Most memorable build:  Cargo Train 60052, my daughter and i filmed with stop motion during the locomotive and cattle car build.

Best for resell Deals: WM/TG Exclusives, see below

Best Personal Collection Deals: Ninjago City x2 @$159ea

BEST Damn Set 2019 (purchased): ADP Eight Studs, looking to buy more @<$150ea anyone know someone?

Biggest LEGO Fiasco 2019: Ideas Set #25.... will one ever get printed?.?.?

Deal that Got Away: LM2 BHz/Vader Bust! i couldn't buy enough!! lots of hate mail with those listings.... 

Most Regretful Purchases: Unikitty Cloud Car x22... any one want to buy x17 @$5ea? 

Still waiting on for right price: Assembly Square, doubt this one will go below RRP...

Unbelievable Results: Central Perk and 1985 Audi

This has been my first full year as an AFOL/reseller scum (actual hate mail words). i've learned a lot and want to do a write up on my year in this whimsical world!! i think it would be slightly entertaining and if nothing else, something great for me to look back on next year! HERES THE SHORT VERSION: LEGO IS WORTH 2x-4xRRP?!?! NO WAY SOMEONE WILL PAY THAT MUCH! Wait, someone just bought it... and another, and another.....

• Like 1

20 hours ago, elmaslıefendi said:

Biggest LEGO Fiasco 2019: Star Wars, the theme that got me into LEGO collecting, doesn't fail to disappoint me again and again every year since 2015

You're not picking the right sets then.  Star Wars continues to be one of the most productive themes for me each year.

• Like 1

Most memorable build:  no time to build

Best for resell Deals: Central Perk

Best Personal Collection Deals: no space to display collection

BEST Damn Set 2019 (purchased): Central Perk, hospitals

Biggest LEGO Fiasco 2019: Central Perk

Deal that Got Away: Not getting enough Central Perks at the right time 

Most Regretful Purchases:  Marvel sets at MSRP to get Avengers Tower

Still waiting on for right price (worried of being too late): too many to list

:drag:

Most memorable build:  anything I get to build with my kids

Best for resell Deals: TLM2 Brickheadz

Best Personal Collection Deals: none this year

BEST Damn Set 2019 (purchased): Capitals (got a few for free)

Biggest LEGO Fiasco 2019: BF web site glitches

Deal that Got Away: None

Most Regretful Purchases:  Volton at 25% off

Still waiting on for right price (worried of being too late): too many to list

Cool topic, it's always good to see what others look back at fondly...

Most memorable build: Probably the Speed Champs Senna. One of my first sets of the SC theme and the techniques were fantastic for such a tiny set! The Mustang was also great, but that was less surprising to me...

Best for resell Deals: Managed to get a compounding deal of 20% off + 30% off + 10% off + 4% cashback on some stuff... Dropped about $5k on that day. Lots of goodies.

Best Personal Collection Deals: Speed Champs cars 55% off...

BEST Damn Set 2019 (purchased): Probably the mustang

Biggest LEGO Fiasco 2019: LEGO Buying out Bricklink. Still watching to see what will happen in the next year or three...

Deal that Got Away: Saturn V's (and a bunch of other sets) at 50% off right after the retirement announcement came through. Probably would have brought 20 S5's, had I been up a bit earlier and got the alert before everyone else noticed and they disappeared. (see answer #3 - I can't complain too much). And the new Batmobile (when the multiple GWPs were live).

Most Regretful Purchases:  Brought too many Mr and Mrs Claus BHz. I pounced when they randomly showed up in one shop, only to find they'd be released on mass a couple of weeks later... Also brought too many Technic Rough Terrian Cranes

Still waiting on for right price (worried of being too late): Minecraft Bigfigs. For some strange reason these seem to be under the radar, but I feel like they have good potential. If only I could get them cheap enough to justify the risk.

I'll chime in for data mining purposes....

Most memorable build:  Mustang with one son and UCS Millennium Falcon with my other son

Best for resell Deals: Private deals made with people bailing/selling out

Best Personal Collection Deals: Got a Marina Bay Sands and Ole Kirk's House in a lot unexpectedly (just about passed out!).....also splurged on a Candy Cane X-Wing

BEST Damn Set 2019 (purchased): Mustang/Candy Cane X-Wing

Biggest LEGO Fiasco 2019: No comment

Deal that Got Away: Deals come and go....you're gonna hit some and miss a lot!

Most Regretful Purchases: No real regrets on purchases, just regrets of not buying enough when opportunities presented themselves

Still waiting on for right price Steamboat Willie