Speed Champions 2020

MusiKyle

I wonder why they havent released any "super big" set - like Ferrari garage or the year before AMG Mercedes Pit .. have they realized that the big sets are not selling well thus focused on cheaper, more affordable single / twin cars boxes?

Edited by crayxlp

6 hours ago, crayxlp said:

I wonder why they havent released any "super big" set - like Ferrari garage or the year before AMG Mercedes Pit .. have they realized that the big sets are not selling well thus focused on cheaper, more affordable single / twin cars boxes?

Now they have moved to a Jan release, they could be saving sets for 2HY. However, with the larger scale, big sets are going to be closer to 200 euros and they are already struggling to sell at 100.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find it interesting that they appear to be moving to the 8 brick wide format.  Up til now it's been 6-wide.  I think the 8-wide allows for more realism but it is a pretty significant change.  I'll still continue to be a speed champions aficionado and get every set but it seems they are finally giving in to the reality that the 6-wide were awkward and not effective at duplicating the cars.  Im betting that single cars will now be priced at $19.99 vs. the $14.99.  Still looking forward to the continuation of the series and seeing what the designers come up with.  I don't foresee any more 6-wide models going forward.

12 hours ago, MusiKyle said:

The new old Speed Champions, perhaps... keeping 6-wide in City sets and expanding Speed Champions to 8-wide to give more flexibility in the design (my guess as to the rationale).

image.thumb.png.81a38e7ec27456810b5414910a9c00f9.png

I thought the same thing after seeing this set.  They're definitely not a Speed Champion replacement, which is good, but they're useful in their own right for city sets.

On 11/26/2019 at 12:59 PM, MusiKyle said:

The new old Speed Champions, perhaps... keeping 6-wide in City sets and expanding Speed Champions to 8-wide to give more flexibility in the design (my guess as to the rationale).

image.thumb.png.81a38e7ec27456810b5414910a9c00f9.png

while they certainly look nice and undoubtedly will become sought after by SCH collectors, they lack the details. Still Im pretty much convinced they could easily pass along.

• 1 month later...

Saw the new cars in the shop today and Im not really thrilled by the packaging.. it looks so .. weird.. and bulky. The paper thckness is not much better than the up-till-now SCH cars.. but really the dimensions of the box.. they are simply "off".. with the number of the pieces included inside they could easily go for the "city-like" strong boxes with special transport and harvester transport and it would look really cool.. but this. im really disappointed. Existing SCH cars have much better ratio given the box dimensions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crayxlp said:

Saw the new cars in the shop today and Im not really thrilled by the packaging.. it looks so .. weird.. and bulky. The paper thckness is not much better than the up-till-now SCH cars.. but really the dimensions of the box.. they are simply "off".. with the number of the pieces included inside they could easily go for the "city-like" strong boxes with special transport and harvester transport and it would look really cool.. but this. im really disappointed. Existing SCH cars have much better ratio given the box dimensions.

I had a similar reaction.  The packaging is about 1.3 larger than the 6-wide cars and feels cheaper.  Also, the previous packaging showed more of the LEGO build; the new packaging shows more of the real car.

The LEGO store had a couple 8-wide on display next to the previous 6-wide and I swear the new ones look more square than the older ones.  That puzzles me considering LEGO has more room to work with but appear to have taken a step backwards.  I have been looking forward to both the Audi and Nissan, but they're both blockier than I had hoped.  I'm sure I'll still buy them... when they go on sale.

• Like 1