Speed Champions 2020

MusiKyle

4 hours ago, keymomachine said:

Moving from 6 to 8 pimples wide says Google auto translate

It offers more creative space for building I suppose.  I prefer the six wide as they still look right in the Lego city and fit in the street plates. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Belac said:

It offers more creative space for building I suppose.  I prefer the six wide as they still look right in the Lego city and fit in the street plates. 

I think that will help with the resale of the 6-wide. Depending on the new line-up all of those might be real winners.

However, I really like the 8-wide. The detail it allows, especially for the Formula-type vehicles is awesome. Having a LHD/RHD layout is also pretty neat. This makes me wonder if they will do more larger vehicles like the Raptor. I've been breaking down all of my SC sets lately and like seeing the differences in how they were constructed. The most recent Mclaren is probably one of the more interesting small builds and the 4 wide Mini is SUPER impressive. It would be nice to see a variation of 6 or 8 wide depending on the scale of the car they are trying to replicate.

On one hand, the 6-wide offered consistency in the line but on the other hand is it somewhat limiting in how creative designers can get.  I like the idea of creating 8-wide vehicles but I'm not sure how I feel about rolling them all under the same title of Speed Champions.  I don't think it requires an entirely new line but my personal stance is that adding some type of differentiation in the title would be good, i.e. Speed Champions Deluxe, Speed Champions XL, Speed Champions DX, something like that.  Maybe it's my OCD but after having the SC line set the precedent of 6-wide over the last 4 years, going on 5 years, it just feels weird to change the overall design standard and sneak it in.  Maybe it's because I'm imagining 6- and 8-wide co-existing.  I guess if they phase out 6-wide completely and commit to 8-wide then I have less of an issue keeping the common title.  I guess Friends did that when they changed all the girls, but it's up for debate how similar that change is compared to increasing vehicle widths by 33%.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MusiKyle said:

On one hand, the 6-wide offered consistency in the line but on the other hand is it somewhat limiting in how creative designers can get.  I like the idea of creating 8-wide vehicles but I'm not sure how I feel about rolling them all under the same title of Speed Champions.  I don't think it requires an entirely new line but my personal stance is that adding some type of differentiation in the title would be good, i.e. Speed Champions Deluxe, Speed Champions XL, Speed Champions DX, something like that.  Maybe it's my OCD but after having the SC line set the precedent of 6-wide over the last 4 years, going on 5 years, it just feels weird to change the overall design standard and sneak it in.  Maybe it's because I'm imagining 6- and 8-wide co-existing.  I guess if they phase out 6-wide completely and commit to 8-wide then I have less of an issue keeping the common title.  I guess Friends did that when they changed all the girls, but it's up for debate how similar that change is compared to increasing vehicle widths by 33%.

Speed Champions XL is a good idea, would be nice to have anything to differentiate 8-wide. But yeah, interested to see if they even keep 6-wide going forward.

1 hour ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Whatever change to reduce/eliminate stickers gets a nod from me

the WORST part of these cars have been the stickers

Also a unique feature to add to this line would be a special add-on compliment that would allow alternative color exteriors and maybe a wheel pack

Never going to happen for this line. I don't mind the stickers for a minor extension of a window or sponsors but a full NO sticker version isnt meant for a playable line at only 6/8 studs. Recent sets have balanced Race Cars/Road Cars pretty nicely and they have really evolved the builds over the years (See 75909 to 75892 Mclaren's) Many of the sets now CAN be applied with minimal stickers and they are making more printed parts, even small 1x1 plates side printed Ferrari labels.

I have a love-hate for stickers on lego. I understand them from a cost perspective and inventory allotment, but as I have been taking these sets apart, some of the stickers are peeling and this is in a conditioned environment with minimal humidity. From what I can tell, they are from when you receive a sticker sheet that has been creased/curved to the extent that the stickers lose their adhesiveness. The recent Dodge set and the GT40 set are key examples for me.

2 hours ago, BricksBrotha said:

Just looking through the new catalog, makes me sad not seeing one single SC set??

The less people are reminded of some sets, the less they may remember to hoard them so it´s not necessarily a bad thing. My catalogue has 14 pages of Ninjago and SW and half a page of Architecture and that´s just the way it should be.

• Like 4

On 10/3/2019 at 5:33 PM, MusiKyle said:

Everything evolves.. not just the electronic gadgets etc. its just a step that every producer has to make to keep ahead of the competition (well, I agree that LEGO simply does not have much of the competition not counting the Chinese brands). I would still love to have an option to go to a store and buy a new smart phone with less than 5" screen. - no way .. you have no chance these days because nobody serious makes them anymore.. they all think that everyobdy simply needs some "paddle" or a tablet next to your ear..  sick of that.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, MusiKyle said:

The bigger set has about 17% more pieces than the smaller set, yet the bigger set costs about 66% more than the smaller set ($USD).  I know piece count isn't always the go-to data point for comparison against price but I definitely find that interesting...

i was thinking it was the lambo license... 

i understand everyone not liking the urus. I'm mixed at the moment. i do think this set will do well down the line. hopefully we can pick them up at discount along the way!

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to getting the first single 8-wide car just to experience the build of a different form factor and hold it in comparison to the 6-wide.  Even if there's reviews online, good but never the same as in-person.  That'll help me decide what to think about these.  So far just these two offerings of two-car sets.  Curious on pricing of single- car sets.  Still $14.99 like the 6- wide with less accessories to hit the price point, or full featured with an extra $5 slapped on the sticker price?

20 hours ago, MusiKyle said:

I'm looking forward to getting the first single 8-wide car just to experience the build of a different form factor and hold it in comparison to the 6-wide.  Even if there's reviews online, good but never the same as in-person.  That'll help me decide what to think about these.  So far just these two offerings of two-car sets.  Curious on pricing of single- car sets.  Still $14.99 like the 6- wide with less accessories to hit the price point, or full featured with an extra $5 slapped on the sticker price?

191116 Speed Champions.JPG

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, isawred said:

i've never actually built any of the SC, I've sold several and parted out a few. i'd like to build the senna sometime soon!

i've read about the price increase but $19.99 seems like too much.?.?.? i vote $16.99-$17.99

Most of the new SC sets have been 20% off for most of their life.  So I think they'll end up there.  Sadly, not @ LEGO though.