75243 - Slave I - 20th Anniversary Set

brickvoyeur

4 hours ago, elmaslıefendi said:

How is the price already nearing RRP of its UCS version? Insane...

I wondered the same thing when sealed copies of X-Wing 9493 was doing the same in comparison of Red Five 10240.

Could playability be a contributing factor to its demand over and above the UCS display version 75060?

This set is the only way you can get the Zuckuus minifigure.  (And 20th Anniverasry Leia, but I don't see that being a primary reason to buy this set).

11 hours ago, exracer327 said:

I wondered the same thing when sealed copies of X-Wing 9493 was doing the same in comparison of Red Five 10240.

Could playability be a contributing factor to its demand over and above the UCS display version 75060?

This set is the only way you can get the Zuckuus minifigure.  (And 20th Anniverasry Leia, but I don't see that being a primary reason to buy this set).

UCS Slave 1 is a fantastic display piece but, it's heavy and very flimsy. I can't see it being a good fit a kid that has just watched the Mandalorian and wants something to play with.

I haven't built the 20th Anniversary edition but it looks like a much better choice as a play set. The reduced weight and the handle on the back means it's very swooshable.

• Like 1

Just now, Jessekidd13 said:

FWIW, every time I've grabbed one when it's briefly popped back into stock over the past 10 days or so, the box has been damaged and seals totally off one side of the box.  I've received 4 at this point (all as single orders) like this.

Jesse

Send all four to me for inspection and do so using UPS or Fedex. Time is of the essence. 

14 hours ago, exracer327 said:

IMHO it is a perfect storm of The Mandalorian, Christmas, low stock and that it is slated to retire soon.

I suspect after Christmas the price will drop back down a bit and level out

Honestly, how deep can you go on these knowing they are still cranking them out? And most likely some sort of remake is probably coming next year? Slap discolored and rust stickers on it a la Ecto-1.

As we learned with the many non-UCS Millennium Falcons, AT-ATs, & ISDs since 2010, some fans don’t care & want to make up for missing out. I believe this Slave 1 will appreciate like crazy leading up to the reissue. Back in the day when I was big into selling, space would have been created to store 30 of these given the Disney+ circumstances. I only need to hold for 6-12 months after becoming permanent OOS.

Granted, I wouldn’t have needed much space since my for sale sets were listed as “New/ No Box”.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Jessekidd13 said:

FWIW, every time I've grabbed one when it's briefly popped back into stock over the past 10 days or so, the box has been damaged and seals totally off one side of the box.  I've received 4 at this point (all as single orders) like this.

Jesse

I was worried about that myself but was pleasantly surprised when the boxes arrived in good condition. However, after this post I figured I should maybe weigh them. But I don't know what differences should be expected between different production runs?

3 hours ago, jaisonline said:

I would be more hesitant to pay full MSRP unless for a personal build. > 15% discounts at purchase go along way to help cover future seller fees.

FOMO for resellers is big here...really big.

It really comes down to projected short-term ceiling for this set.  Let's take a look at all the other Ani sets

they are x2 to x3 as they closed on retirement.

That puts the Slave between $238 to $357...at those returns the current buy-in differences of 15% to 30% and RRP seems negligible. And this projection doesn't even factor in the boost from Mandolorian or the Book of Boba.

Final point...the Ani label...the biggest risk for resellers on this set is that LEGO drags out retirement another year or 5 or remakes it 3 months after "retirement".  I believe the label (and the exclusive Leia figure) protects this set from these two scenarios. It "should" always remain exclusive...and I also agree as noted earlier that the window for resell is probably the best post retirement and pre-re-release of another Slave1 (I would unload 75% of my stock in that window).

• 2 weeks later...

lowest price on amazon is now double msrp. pretty good start for a set at this price point.  at this point, even people with an msrp basis are in the green post fees and shipping.  if we can make it til the end of the year without a remake we could see $300.

amazon-new.png?force=1&zero=0&w=1070&h=642&desired=false&legend=1&ilt=1&tp=all&fo=0&lang=en

Edited by cladner
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, cladner said:

lowest price on amazon is now double msrp. pretty good start for a set at this price point.  at this point, even people with an msrp basis are in the green post fees and shipping.  if we can make it til the end of the year without a remake we could see $300.

amazon-new.png?force=1&zero=0&w=1070&h=642&desired=false&legend=1&ilt=1&tp=all&fo=0&lang=en

if the new Imperial Shuttle, Xwing, and Tie are any indication...a hypothetical new Slave 1 will likely be less detailed and smaller...I think this Anniversary set is relatively safe blue-chip

• 3 weeks later...