70840 - Welcome To Apocalypseburg!

Foreman Porgy

1 hour ago, CosmicSpeed said:

Thats Lego for you.

Small-ish regional set - Printed Pieces

$199+ Sets - Sticker Sheet.

the answer for this is maybe Lego has to get a certain Return on INvestment for each set, so the big ones would require a lot more R&D thus the margin will need to be solid...and since printed pieces cost more (apparently) its what the bean counters use to leverage the margins and target prices...I'm sure during R&D all the specialty pieces are planned to be minted and then said bean counter's first line of cost savings is to convert pieces to stickers.

for a small set like a Brickheadz the calculus is probably a lot different w/ less resources committed to their development...also the marketing budget is not as high.

Ditto $ :( . id like to own but just cant justify 300.

bought both big ninjagos at retail because i liked them. price per piece helped on those.

unless one gets a bunch of these in mint condition on massive discount i suspect wont do well with resellers.

obviously.

This set will eventually see discounts like the TV Series Batcave in order to move them. Nobody in their right mind would spend $300 for this. It looks cool I guess, but why would anyone want to plop this thing down in the middle of their city layout amongst all of their modulars? This thing is a playset, and a very expensive one at that. It will be somewhat popular once the movie is released, but when that has come and gone this set will be a dust collector. Investment wise, I'll take 30 Benny's Space Squad sets for $300 before I touch one of these.

• Like 5

To put it into perspective, Ninjago City (70620) has 4867 pieces, and retails for $299.99. Ninjago City Docks has 3553 pieces and retails for $229.99. One can argue that the 2 sets I mentioned previously have a lot of little parts. Welcome to Apocalypseburg has 3178 parts and is retailing for $299.99. If we’re going off of purely part count, you can spend an extra $100.00 and get over 6000 pieces in the new Hogwarts Castle. I really wanna build this set, but I’m not buying an extra copy or parting out any until it hits $199.99. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Foreman Porgy said:

To put it into perspective, Ninjago City (70620) has 4867 pieces, and retails for $299.99. Ninjago City Docks has 3553 pieces and retails for $229.99. One can argue that the 2 sets I mentioned previously have a lot of little parts. Welcome to Apocalypseburg has 3178 parts and is retailing for $299.99. If we’re going off of purely part count, you can spend an extra $100.00 and get over 6000 pieces in the new Hogwarts Castle. I really wanna build this set, but I’m not buying an extra copy or parting out any until it hits $199.99. 

I'd like to know the weight before I give a crap about part counts. 

• Like 1

I have Ninjago City and its over 5.5 kg. I guess something like 11 pounds or so,? .. both are very beautifully rendered sets.. but Ninjago City is simply better = more attractive.. the box art does a lot.. and in this aspect Ninjago City simply wins.. Better looking packaging..  or is there someone who thinks that Apocalypse has a better looking package?

Edited by crayxlp
typo
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Foreman Porgy said:

Does LEGO Shop at Home exclusive mean it's not hitting Amazon, Walmart, or Target? Has LEGO Shop at Home given 30% discounts in the past for any of its big sets?  If it's somewhat popular...the best we can hope for is DOuble VIP pts right?...or maybe 15-20% off as it nears EOL 

10 hours ago, terrymc4677 said:

This set will eventually see discounts like the TV Series Batcave in order to move them. Nobody in their right mind would spend $300 for this. It looks cool I guess, but why would anyone want to plop this thing down in the middle of their city layout amongst all of their modulars? This thing is a playset, and a very expensive one at that. It will be somewhat popular once the movie is released, but when that has come and gone this set will be a dust collector. Investment wise, I'll take 30 Benny's Space Squad sets for $300 before I touch one of these.

but this is a must have for anyone wanting to conver their city lay-outs into a Zombie wasteland...which is the endgame for every Lego city layout...you just don't know it yet

• Like 4

3 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Does LEGO Shop at Home exclusive mean it's not hitting Amazon, Walmart, or Target? Has LEGO Shop at Home given 30% discounts in the past for any of its big sets?  If it's somewhat popular...the best we can hope for is DOuble VIP pts right?...or maybe 15-20% off as it nears EOL 

It will be in all of those places after 4 months and it´s not been unknown for generous discounts or pricing errors like the great Target rush of 2018 to happen.

As we´ve said before, it makes no sense to rush in on exclusives - wait and see how things evolve. Even if it is completely subprime, it will still be around until the end of the year. I  believe Joker Manor currently has the record as the shortest run large D2c and even that  managed more than a year. It´s likely to go through to summer 2020 at worst and probably winter 2020 as EOL date, giving it a Seacow like life.

Edited by Val-E

When comparing pricing for sets, I thought it would be in alignment with Ninjago sets.  The outlier for possible pricing was the LEGO Movie 70810 Sea Cow (2741 pcs @ $249).  Figuring inflation and +400 parts, I guess $299 for this shouldn't surprise us.  Does make me wonder if it'll go the way of the Sea Cow though.

14 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

yes, SAH did do up to 50 off discounts (at least in Europe) last year.. e.g. Technic Mercedes Arocs was discounted for a couple of hrs by 50 % off.. 

11 minutes ago, crayxlp said:

Technic Mercedes Arocs was discounted for a couple of hrs by 50 % off.. 

couple hours?  That's a pretty tight window for most of us who are not wired 24-7

on a similar note can we get alerts from LEGO Shop at Home when certain sets get discounted?  fingers crossed on THAT...if not, might there be a schedule or pattern one could derive?  Are discounts shown in the evening or start of day?

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan

5 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

couple hours?  That's a pretty tight window for most of us who are not wired 24-7

on a similar note can we get alerts from LEGO Shop at Home when certain sets get discounted?  fingers crossed on THAT...if not, might there be a schedule or pattern one could derive?  Are discounts shown in the evening or start of day?

grrr! it truly looks like you are all new to the game.. I mentioned couple of hrs because that was literally the time span before it sold out.. in fact I guess it lasted for like 2 hrs at max. ANd in this particular case it was totally unexpected sometime during the daylight.

Edited by crayxlp

It actualy lasted a about 10 minutes and pretty much no D2c sets were included, apart from Winter Station and Minecraft Village.

A better opportunity will be Black Friday or store offers like Target. Do not pay full RRP now unless impatient for personal build.