Tru back from the dead?

rcdb1984

24 minutes ago, bigboy61 said:

Unless they can step up their online game, I cant see them being a big player. 

Their old problems had more to do with debt repayments from the leveraged buyout than with the rest of their business model.

Their new problems are having to rebuild a B&M footprint and logistics chain plus sign new distributor agreements having offloaded/broken everything but the trademark.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

Some things should stay dead, TRU is one of them. If they ever arise from the ashes, the entire board and management needs replacing with staff being told to treat stock and customers with respect.

5 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

Some things should stay dead, TRU is one of them. If they ever arise from the ashes, the entire board and management needs replacing with staff being told to treat stock and customers with respect.

I know it's all a matter of personal experience, but the TRUs around me are surprisingly none of the above.

Oh, probably has something to do with the fact that TRU Canada was always run independently from the other worldwide stores. I guess we're just too nice. :P

The reorganized company will own rights to the Toys “R” Us and Babies “R” Us brands in all markets globally, with the exception of Canada.

On 10/7/2018 at 12:51 PM, Val-E said:

It´s good for competition and one should also give the new owners a chance - they may be able to do something with it if they are competent.

New owners? The group who owned TRU before - Geoffrey, LLC are still the owners.

Geoffrey, LLC, as reorganized

They just went into bankruptcy and apparently followed the rules regarding selling off the assets to pay whoever their teenie portion of monies owed and then convinced people the assets as-is were worth more than incoming offers to buy them. 

Sounds like this was their medium-term Plan B executed to perfection if Plan A - to remain solvent and pay their bills - didn't pan out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gregpj said:

New owners? The group who owned TRU before - Geoffrey, LLC are still the owners.

They just went into bankruptcy and apparently followed the rules regarding selling off the assets to pay whoever their teenie portion of monies owed and then convinced people the assets as-is were worth more than incoming offers to buy them. 

Sounds like this was their medium-term Plan B executed to perfection if Plan A - to remain solvent and pay their bills - didn't pan out.

The operating company may be the same but the question is who now owns the company? New shareholders may keep the name.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Yesterday I received an email from Smyth Toys that TRU is officially dead now in Germany and is now called Smyth Toys.

I dont know if I will miss you, sometimes you had good offers, but your employees just sucked, but I guess Smyth Toys will just take them over, so lets see if Smyth Toys will do similar promos as TRU did in the past.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Achilles said:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/retail/toys-r-us-to-open-stores

Toys R Us opening several smaller stores by end of the year...

1 hour ago, BrickU said:

Nice.  Rebrand a bit and start slow.  I like it.

Will they have the same 10-20% markup as before? I sure hope so. I miss paying inflated retail prices for items that are readily available for less everywhere else!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...