10227 - UCS B-Wing Starfighter

MaximusLegous

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm working on moving mine now.  $200 is good for me, nice profit, and LOTS of space with how massive these boxes are...

At first I was excited about how big the box was, then I learned exactly how precious shelf space really was...

try to find the shelf space for your 10127.  the largest $ growth is the 1st yr after retirement so why sell now?

• 1 month later...

The new B wing is looking like a pretty good set to me under 500 pieces but still has a 15 inch wing span with 3 new mini figs RRP $50. I will definitely be picking one up on sale to build. What effect do you think it will have on the UCS B wing? With over 1000 more pieces is it not in the same league, any possibility it will increase interest in the UCS, or will it be the nail in the coffin of the UCS?

The new B wing is looking like a pretty good set to me under 500 pieces but still has a 15 inch wing span with 3 new mini figs RRP $50. I will definitely be picking one up on sale to build. What effect do you think it will have on the UCS B wing? With over 1000 more pieces is it not in the same league, any possibility it will increase interest in the UCS, or will it be the nail in the coffin of the UCS?

It prob has a bigger impact on the older non-UCS ones. I'm not too worried.

None at all. The ucs is a totally different genre. You cant buy a ucs at target nor can kids play with them. Its mainly an adult collector item whereas the little ships are kids toys. If anything a smaller set might bring positive attention to the ucs set, might.

Guest brickcrazyhouse

stupid bwing biggest miss to date. was in lego store on the day and missed the sale tag >grumble grumble kick wall <  lesson learned check BP before going out to store.  

stupid bwing biggest miss to date. was in lego store on the day and missed the sale tag >grumble grumble kick wall <  lesson learned check BP before going out to store.  

I remember seeing the sale on SD and deciding that $100 was too much to spend on legos...

• 3 months later...

I recently bought 2 B-Wings for $300 total shipped.  Unfortunately I missed picking these up when they were getting blown out at $99.   I wanted to build one (which I did, and it was awesome), and I'm going to hold onto the other one.  I don't think it was a bad buy at $150 each, and the price seems to be climbing slow but steady.

So the June to May BP value has appreciated on this set 41.09%.  Not bad for 11 months.  Down side is that CAGR on all of the other UCS is measured from RRP, which in the US was 199.95.  So in 7 months since retirement if measuring from RRP like the other UCS sets the ROR is 1.76%.  This simple observation makes me feel really good about LEGO price fixing the exclusives.  The fact that the B-Wing is a UCS and has such a poor cagr over RRP is an important observation that blind UCS or exclusive investing is not necessarily a sure thing.  If by this time next year this set is not producing a CAGR from retail of at least half the other UCS sets I will sell my two.

Will UCS Obi-Wan's Starfighter make a huge leap in 2015?  Maybe his spirit will fly it around in the new trilogy?

that obi-wan set is a prequel ucs set. plus, it was never really a popular vehicle.  thus it was doomed from the beginning. 

additionally, with the current audience (original trilogy fans), never really gravitated toward this set. these are the folks who actually have the money to buy higher priced UCS sets in the secondary market.  many younger prequel fans prob recently began  their dark age period

that obi-wan set is a prequel ucs set. plus, it was never really a popular vehicle.

thus it was doomed from the beginning. 

additionally, with the current audience (original trilogy fans), never really gravitated toward this set. these are the folks who actually have the money to buy higher priced UCS sets in the secondary market.  many younger prequel fans prob recently began  their dark age period

Prequel fans are almost 30 years old now, maybe older.