180911 Bold inaccuracies in BP dbase

crayxlp

19 hours ago, crayxlp said:

Hello Ed,

besides my rather negative submission above, I truly appreciate your honest and straight answer. Now we all know what to expect. Do you have any plans for some kind of updating prices in non-US regions based on a volunteers' efforts? There must be hundreds of us from outside the US that use your immense database of prices on a maybe daily basis - and for free. I can easily imagine that (if given the methodics how you calculated the avg prices for e.g. UK market until now), we (around0 could do that on a manually basis and submit the final values to you to update the dbase.. everybody could pick up some "theme" (season) to be responsible for that would not exceed 20-30 sets and quaterly submit the data based on the sold listings on a respective ebay site. I would have no problem with that to volunteer. Perhaps later on you could think of some pros and cons for those who would engage such as limited searches per day for those not being involved etc.. 

Hello,

This discussion has been going on behind the scenes for a long time.  Jeff has been working on an update for the site for awhile now.  He is trying to simplify it and streamline things.  The true value of this site was never the data, but its members.  The real good information is scattered throughout the forum pages and threads.  As I stated above, the non-US markets are a completely different animal.  While the UK markets are somewhat similar to the US, the non-English areas are very difficult to filter out information.  Add the currency differences and you can see how complicated and confusing it becomes.

While I am not speaking for Jeff, I would rather see a site that has the US prices updated quarterly on a consistent and accurate basis.  Trying to do it every month is a waste of time in my opinion.  The LEGO secondary market and its members have changed over the past decade.  Prices have stabilized and only a few exceptional sets will explode in value and those are readily discussed on this site.  Month to month change is minimal with most LEGO sets.  

I appreciate your offer to volunteer, but that just be more work for Jeff and many people just don't care that much to be quite honest.  The non-US markets shadow the US market close enough that one could make an educated guess to the value of their LEGO sets.  They might be a few % points higher or lower, but they (for the most part) follow a pattern.  The bottom line is that there is little in the way of financial return to Jeff (or I) with the current secondary market situation and affiliate earnings to invest more money into acquiring data from around the world.  It sucks...I know, but Jeff and I will always try to do the best for the site and its members.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Hey,

thanks for another input: i can totally see sense in almost everything that you said. I have not thought through how would you validate the incoming data frrom the volunteers (whether they are false or correct). I could think that the "united European market" could be like 80 % of the US market, but then we get all these differences based on GBP and EUR (and more to it that Lego chose to price EUR sets differently in Norway, Switzerland, NL, Germany, Spain.. - so no easy way how to get some accumulated data).

What I see as the best and leading point in your reply is (finally) converting to "official" quaterly announced price developments instead of proclaimed monthly that has not been met for at least past 2 yrs. Im happy to update my own "personal price index" based on the generally available data on relevant ebay sites of sold sets. I would just really love to know what were your methodics for the non-US regions until now.. did you make just the avg total from all the sales of the relevant set and divided it by the number or sales.. or did you rather prefer median avg (when you did not include  into the calculations the highest and the lowest sold price within that time frame) ? The point of asking is that id like to continue my charts in the same fashion as you have started it yrs ago.

Edited by crayxlp

On 9/12/2018 at 7:59 PM, Ed Mack said:

Hello,

This discussion has been going on behind the scenes for a long time.  Jeff has been working on an update for the site for awhile now.  He is trying to simplify it and streamline things.  The true value of this site was never the data, but its members.  The real good information is scattered throughout the forum pages and threads.  As I stated above, the non-US markets are a completely different animal.  While the UK markets are somewhat similar to the US, the non-English areas are very difficult to filter out information.  Add the currency differences and you can see how complicated and confusing it becomes.

While I am not speaking for Jeff, I would rather see a site that has the US prices updated quarterly on a consistent and accurate basis.  Trying to do it every month is a waste of time in my opinion.  The LEGO secondary market and its members have changed over the past decade.  Prices have stabilized and only a few exceptional sets will explode in value and those are readily discussed on this site.  Month to month change is minimal with most LEGO sets.  

I appreciate your offer to volunteer, but that just be more work for Jeff and many people just don't care that much to be quite honest.  The non-US markets shadow the US market close enough that one could make an educated guess to the value of their LEGO sets.  They might be a few % points higher or lower, but they (for the most part) follow a pattern.  The bottom line is that there is little in the way of financial return to Jeff (or I) with the current secondary market situation and affiliate earnings to invest more money into acquiring data from around the world.  It sucks...I know, but Jeff and I will always try to do the best for the site and its members.

I sell a lot on brickpicker and their 6 month average sales is a pretty good predictor for the price. Is it possible to add this to the price formula as well? I have a lot of items that appear as having zero value, while they regularly sell on bricklink like this set: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?view=buy&S=6765-1#T=P

2 hours ago, Legojona said:

I sell a lot on brickpicker and their 6 month average sales is a pretty good predictor for the price. Is it possible to add this to the price formula as well? I have a lot of items that appear as having zero value, while they regularly sell on bricklink like this set: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?view=buy&S=6765-1#T=P

That would have all the FBAers thinking the sky has fallen in , though.

Really this is being a bit overthought in my opinion. The only two prices that matter are your buy-in and what someone is actually willing to pay to you in your zone when you sell it. Anything in between is just conjecture.

4 hours ago, Val-E said:

That would have all the FBAers thinking the sky has fallen in , though.

Really this is being a bit overthought in my opinion. The only two prices that matter are your buy-in and what someone is actually willing to pay to you in your zone when you sell it. Anything in between is just conjecture.

Brickfolio suggests it gives you an overview of the value of your collection. If prices are too erratic and do not make sense, then it kinda loses it's purpose and better to leave it out. Now it mentions the current value of 0 or just a third some times. 

I would like it if it is possible to update a price of an item by members by suggesting a value based on most recent sales. I also collect Whiskey and there it is very common to base prices on the last auction prices of items (some of those bottles go for huge sums :) (not mine yet :(

Edited by Legojona
  • Like 1